Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Superclass Crawlers > Tamiya Clod Buster

Notices

Thread: What to do with a Clod Kit?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-22-2018, 03:13 PM   #1

Default What to do with a Clod Kit?

Hey guys if you hypothetically purchased a new clod buster kit what would be your plans for it?

Would you build it up as is right out of the box or go with heavy after market parts right away?

I'm curious as I have one but I'm just not sure what I want to do with it yet so it's still un opened for now

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
SpudWrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-22-2018, 03:23 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: What to do with a Clod Kit?

Have you ever built it up straight out of the box before? That's what I did with mine... and then I went and bought mod parts. My problem now is that I'm reluctant to tear it apart and mod as the stock form has a bit of a charm to it.
soze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 03:29 PM   #3

Nope it will be my first one I'm 38 now. I've wanted one since I was a kid but it never happened.

I was able to pick one up about 5 months ago and it has been sitting in my closet ever since.

I honestly forgot about it for a few months until I started getting back on here seeking advice about my other crawler. I've been bit by the build bug again but I'm not going to mess with this one until I finish my other builds just trying to get some ideas of what I want to do.

Old 10-22-2018, 04:34 PM   #4
Rock Stacker

I just bought one a few weeks ago. My plan is to to keep it stock with just ball bearings and possibly some Traxxas shocks. I'm going to build it stock first with just the ball bearings. The stock bounciness is part of the nostalgia of the kit. I bought the Traxxas shocks as they are cheap so that I can swap them out if necessary. Modding stuff is great and all, but I bought it because I couldn't afford one as a kid. If I do decide to mod, I may just look to purchase another one for that purpose.
scithera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 04:38 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by scithera View Post
I just bought one a few weeks ago. My plan is to to keep it stock with just ball bearings and possibly some Traxxas shocks. I'm going to build it stock first with just the ball bearings. The stock bounciness is part of the nostalgia of the kit. I bought the Traxxas shocks as they are cheap so that I can swap them out if necessary. Modding stuff is great and all, but I bought it because I couldn't afford one as a kid. If I do decide to mod, I may just look to purchase another one for that purpose.
Getting a second one for mods might be the way to go. I did order some bearings at the same time I got the kit. I honestly didnt plan on doing anything to the kit besides that until I got it on here and start looking at some of the cold crawlers some of them are simply jaw dropping

Old 10-23-2018, 07:32 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

I have one basicly stock the best mods were extending the wheelbase about 1 inch front and rear so 2 over all and using wraith upper links and axle mounted servo the extended wheel base realy helps it crawl the axle mounted servo helps steering alot and the wraith upper links help with the articulation this set up also pushes the axle forward enuff to lower the chassie a bit so the top of the axle isent hitting the bottom of the tub for a better center of gravity i also have a race clod thats all tricked out with a esp 3 aluminum chassie a lexan body and traxxass shocks its fun i have plans to build alother clod based buggy using the gmade r1 buggy chassie just for the hay of it

2 clods are better than 1 but why stop there lol

Last edited by ferp420; 10-23-2018 at 07:35 PM.
ferp420 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 06:29 AM   #7

If you never built a Clod then definitely get a new kit and build it stock. It's such a fun truck as is. It's slow and bounces like a leaf spring Jeep going over a rock field at 30 MPH, but that's part of the charm. It takes me back to my childhood when I lusted after a Clod Buster, but could never afford one.

If you get bored you can do mild upgrades or a completely wild transformation into a race truck with an aftermarket chassis, etc.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2018, 06:34 PM   #8
Rock Stacker

[/IMG]I built the kit in 2010, when I was a kid in the 80s, Clodbuster and USA-1 were the trucks to have... but count not afford, So I built the truck box stock and slowly upgraded it over 3 years. It went from stock 7.2v silver cans, to 14.8v Traxxas EVX2/Titan 21t, to eventually a Crawford Terminator powered by twin 5700kv Castle brushless motors.... Love this truck, it's the one I run the most.
Oxide80 is offline   Reply With Quote

What to do with a Clod Kit? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Complete Stock Clod Axle Kit $59.99 Per Kit *RCP Crawlers* & Some Other Cool Stuff Rockpiledriver RCP Crawlers 0 05-22-2007 07:49 PM
best kit for clod???? shocker Newbie General 5 01-04-2007 03:39 PM
clod kit help twisted crawler Newbie General 1 05-01-2006 12:31 PM