RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Tamiya Clod Buster (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/tamiya-clod-buster/)
-   -   comp clod buster build (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/tamiya-clod-buster/459895-comp-clod-buster-build.html)

Spudnut 08-30-2013 01:13 PM

comp clod buster build

5 Attachment(s)
I just finished my first scratch built crawler from an Axial Ridgecrest. (see photo)

I got a modified clod buster in a trade and I thought I would build my first comp crawler out of the axles.

I first drew some basic outlines in autocad to get estimated sizes and shapes. Then I drew the side plates in autodesk inventor and printed them out on my ABS 3d printer. I then used 1/4 dowels to mock up links to determin the right lengths.

After it is all mocked up and prototyped I will CNC the side plates out of cutting board material and the rest out oft of aluminium.

And so the adventure begins...

Spudnut 09-04-2013 10:46 AM

Re: comp clod buster build

5 Attachment(s)
Well, I have made a little more progress. I now have all of the links mocked up. After the first setup I saw that I needed a few changes. so I changed the side plates in the 3d software and printed out new plates. Now link mount locations and shock placements are better. Articulations still seems to be good. I also got in the mail yesterday 2 diff locking gears from hot racing.

simon170 09-08-2013 02:15 AM

Very cool! Which rod ends are those your using for the top links?

Spudnut 09-08-2013 12:25 PM

They are rc4wd rod ends.

freddyg 09-15-2013 07:49 PM

nice developement process, I really like the use of different methods you've used, 3d printing, CNC, Hand build, as well as autocad and mockups. Looking great , keep it up.

Spudnut 09-25-2013 10:52 AM

5 Attachment(s)
Well added a few more test parts and electrics and I also made the aluminium links. Ran it for the first time today and it is pretty awsome. I need to do some tuning but I am happy so far. I also have version 2 body printing right now. Waiting for a couple more pieces to finish.

Spudnut 09-25-2013 04:07 PM

3 Attachment(s)
She's Finished!!!!:mrgreen:

adamargue 09-26-2013 05:58 PM

That chassis looks great man. Looks like a fun rig.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

Spudnut 10-01-2013 03:17 PM

4 Attachment(s)
I think I am finished tweeking it. I now call it spiderman.
I made a new red box that houses the battery in the bottom and a recess to hold the reciever in the front and a recess for the ESC in the rear with a covered box in the center to hold the CC BEC and all of the wires under the seat.