Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Superclass Crawlers > Tamiya Clod Buster

Notices

Thread: Clod Chassis??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-04-2014, 05:08 PM   #1

Default Clod Chassis??

Hey guys, I'm a newbie on your site but just got to looking around. Nice forum!

I was into RC years ago when the Clods first came out and took the world by storm. Now that I'm not a kid anymore, I want another one but I want to do a custom build. Something long, tall and huge tires. I'm not going to compete with it. I'll probably take it out in the backyard from time to time and that's about it. But I want to go all out with it!

I was looking at a CPE chassis, or maybe the JPS. I wanted to put aluminum wheels, big tires, rear steer delete, CVD axles and I was possible thinking about doing the aluminum gear cases axles tubes and knuckles from JPS. Then I want to finish it off with a brushless, LiPO setup. Major overkill I know.... But it's what I want to do. I just want people to see it and say Holy Shit!

Anyways, I called JPS several times. No answer, voicemail is full. Then I emailed them a couple times. After over a month, nothing.

Then I called and emailed CPE. Nothing. From looking at the websites for both, they haven't been updated in a long time. Are these guys still in business?

For you guys that have been messing with these during the 20 years I haven't been, do you have any advice or know where I should go for my project?
Tug4090 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-04-2014, 06:06 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Clod Chassis??

you could also try THUNDER TECH RACING , not sure you will get a response from Darrin right away but the RIPPER PRO Chassis is a very nice piece , strong and once you tune it to your driving style it works very well , I love mine
paleblue46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 10:15 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

CPE is still in business and still developing new clod parts.
chopfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 08:11 AM   #4
RCC Addict

Yes CPE is still going strong.
In fact they just released a chassis that uses Wraith parts to make a monster truck.

OK, so some of your questions.
CVD axles and straights for the rear.. I wish you luck my friend. TTR was selling CVD's and they haven't been available for a while now.
There was a rumor that another production run was being considered, it was dropped. I don't think enough interest. You might find a set on ebay or other clod guys..

clodtalk.com or rcmt.net might be your best bet.
The forums aren't as active as this one, but it is a shot..

For chassis, I like the ZRP Diablo chassis. Pretty hard to beat for racing in my opinion. If looking to bash, not race, I'd stick with one of the old clodzillas or something along those lines. Durbaility versus light weight.

As for the aluminum cases and tubes.. I'd stick with the plastic cases and put some aluminum tubes on there. Unless you plan on some insane air, or other acrobatics, I don't think you'll want them. Lot more weight that isn't necessary in my opinion.

Lipo and brushless is not over kill for these trucks.
Right now I have a race clod on 2s with 8.5t tekin motors.
A guy I race with just put in a set of 6.5 motors and many of the guys I race with run the stock clod motors on 4s.
The clod axles will take LOTS of power before they go boom..

Also check facebook, lots of clod buys on there....
bigstu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 03:55 PM   #5
Gold Star Baby Momma!

Facebook??? Am I missing something?
Tuffguy is offline   Reply With Quote