Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Superclass Crawlers > Tamiya Clod Buster

Notices

Thread: Timmy2Tracks knows nothing of the Clod Buster (so, i'll make me a tribute truck)...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-14-2014, 10:23 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Timmy2Tracks knows nothing of the Clod Buster (so, i'll make me a tribute truck)...

That's right. So, not knowing what I am doing, and after many thoughts, I decided to build a truck that I thought FELT like a 'Clod' (to me).

Some would say that to be a 'Clod' it must have original axles, some would say it must be an actual stock Tamiya 'Clod Buster, and some would say that a 'Clod' is any motor-on-axle truck. I am going with 'feel' on this. What does my minds-eye see when I say "Clod!"...?

So, I ordered me some stuffs that made me happy, which consists of a Reign K2-5 old school truck chassis, a set of RC4WD Bully XLD (medium width) axles, steer kits for said axles, and Clod-sized Mud Slingers. I also went to eBay and found a new set of these Rockstar Bead-locks which are sized for Clod tires, and have a 14mm hex. These have been discontinued for 5 years now, but I like them.

Wheels and tires, closer.

Axles, closer.

Together.

Wide, for me anyways.

More soon, thanks for a-loookin' friends...!

Last edited by Timmy2Wheels; 02-15-2014 at 05:43 PM.
Timmy2Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-15-2014, 12:30 PM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Default Timmy2Track knows nothing of the Clod Buster (so, i'll make me a tribute truc...

After much stretching, I got the tires mounted up. It was a tight fit, and I had to use 2 small screwdrivers sliding on small pieces of rags to stretch/get them to mount. My fingers hurt, but once I seated the bead, they are a nice, tight fit. No slippage for these.

Mo-betta.

Now at 16" width. Should be fairly stable, and about a perfect square footprint.

Cracked open the axles, to apply my favorite flavor of lubrication...

This explains why they are so heavy. Thick, beefy steel gears inside. Impressive. At the price of $100 an axle, I feel these are quite a bargain.

Thread-locked, and reassembled. Got some M3 spacers to sort out the servo mounts.

Now it sit's nice and level, and just above the link mount.

The steering link is a bit off, so I'll have to dig thru the stash to find one that fits...

Last edited by Timmy2Wheels; 02-15-2014 at 02:55 PM.
Old 02-15-2014, 05:04 PM   #3

Default Re: Timmy2Track knows nothing of the Clod Buster (so, i'll make me a tribute truck)..

I have a lot of RC's but The Clod is still one of my favorites. Fun in almost any condition outside. I have thought about switching out the stock axels with RC4WD units like those. I had two sets of stock axels and have broken enough stuff that I am at the end of serviceability.... almost. (love to talk my self into upgrades) My truck is a custom chassis with stock clod body. Love the rims. I will have to be on the look out for a set of those.

I am curious to see the steering on that when you get it done. 4WS is the only way it is drivable for me with stock axles (even shaved).

Chris
cmlooner33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 05:49 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: Timmy2Tracks knows nothing of the Clod Buster (so, i'll make me a tribute truck).

I have mostly Class-1 scale trucks, and snowcats. It is nice to try something new once in a while, for the challenge, learning experience, and to have an RC with a different driving experience at the end. I never followed the world of RC monster trucks, but always knew of the Clod Buster.

These axles would be great for a slower, crawler Clod only I would predict. There is no slipper clutch, or diff either. The only "weak spot" that would give way is the pinion gear, if you decide to jump it and do 'bashing'. For me, they should be perfect. I love the looks, durability, low gear ratio, and the very heavy weight. Plus, with these wheels, the width is right were I wanted it, and they come with XVD's inside.

Last edited by Timmy2Wheels; 02-15-2014 at 08:34 PM.
Old 02-15-2014, 08:31 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: Timmy2Tracks knows nothing of the Clod Buster (so, i'll make me a tribute truck).

Next up, got my steering sorted. These wheels really overhang the axles quite a bit, so I have to run both steering arms underneath the knuckles...

Here's where you can see the amount of internal-overhang. Not a whole lot of extra room, but enough. This makes me happy.

And, taah-dah.

Repeat. Both the exact same. Twice the enjoyment. Twice the pain to the paypal account.

Popped the chassis together. The chassis came with some delrin spacers, and a delrin skid plate drilled for both an axial and an R2 transmission. I also had another older Reign chassis hanging about (shorter version) that has an un-drilled skid plate that is wider, and wider spacers to match. When I built it up with the wider spacers, the chassis ended up falling dead center on the width of the link mounts. Perfecto.

Got these. Long ones for some of that tire clearance I will need.

Installed some sort of shock oil, and hung the axles. Looking like, well, parts are attaching themselves to each other.

Old 02-15-2014, 09:03 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

Next up, links and ends of links.

Pop!

Linkages.

As you can see, I decided to not use the delrin skid plate (no use, really) and just used 90mm links to brace the chassis. I also have, for now, run the lower links on the inside of the chassis, to allow for maximum turning radius.

As whenever your using silly-big tires like these, there is always the problem of things hitting when attempting to turn. Also, these tires happen to have huge lugs that stick out, they limit your steering even more.

The axles transmissions are centered, so, they don't allow for much room for the motor. I looked a bit and Holmes Hobbies makes a brushless out-runner (Revolver S Stubby) which seems to be rather, well, stubby. I want stubby. I need stubby. I have been waiting on stubby for many months now. Hopefully soon I will be sporting a pair of stubbys.

I tend to grab parts when I find them, if I have the $, even if I don't need them, just in case. A few years ago, I came across a guy selling all the parts-trees for the original Clod body (Chevy one). Grill, tailgate, chrome parts, all for a reasonable price. I dusted them off, and got a new Clod shell. Here's the general look I will be a-sportin'...

Now, I must wait for the Stubby motors, and some warmer weather (been an unbelievably cold winter) so I can start the work on the body. There will be a long while before nay more updates, but when I can, I will update.

It's snowing like crazy out there, so I have to get the Blizzards out for some fun... Thanks for looking!
Old 02-15-2014, 09:52 PM   #7
Rock Stacker

Hey Timmy,
Looking good. I used those axles on my stik build, great bang for the buck.
Gumbajv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 10:18 PM   #8
Pebble Pounder

Thanks Gumbajv. What are you using for motors and speed controllers? I am trying to figure out what the speed will be like with these axles...
Old 02-16-2014, 08:27 AM   #9
Rock Stacker

I usually move the electronic set ups between projects in an attempt to keep the costs down. On the Stik with these axles, Integy 35T motors and a single Tekin fxr. Feels like 4-6mph. I'm debating about adding a second fxr, though it runs fine with the single. On the Clod, Integy 55T motors and a single Holmes Hobbies TorqueMaster br-xl. Your limited to a 3S lipo with the Tekin, and the H.H. says it can handle a 6S. Since they're about the same price I'd opt for the H.H. I use a 4S lipo in the Clod.
For about the same money you could go with the Exceed Rocket brushless motors and 2 e-z run ecs. I tried the 600 kv's on the Clod, way too slow.
Gumbajv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 06:11 AM   #10
Pebble Pounder

Default Timmy2Tracks knows nothing of the Clod Buster (so, i'll make me a tribute tru...

I've been waiting in the stubby-motors from H.H., but could give those Exceed Rocket units a try. The Integy units are way too long for me to get the lower links in enough, so I need a brushless outrunner that bolts up to a normal 540 bolt pattern, sensored, with a long enough shaft to be able to have the pinion mesh up with the other gears...

Last edited by Timmy2Wheels; 02-18-2014 at 10:46 AM.
Old 11-27-2014, 01:29 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

That K2 chassis looks like it was meant to be under a Clod. Real OG monster truck look here. Please update soon.
Derek Larsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 12:01 PM   #12
RCC Addict

Very cool build, I love the classic monster truck look of it. It should be a great snow machine also. I'll be watching for pics or vids of it's first run!

P.S.

Blizzards rock! I'll be getting mine ready for some winter fun also.

Last edited by TrailDawg362; 11-28-2014 at 12:08 PM.
TrailDawg362 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 09:11 AM   #13
Pebble Pounder

Thanks for the kind words guys...

I did purchase the Holmes Hobbies stubby brushless out runner motors. Mounted them up.

With the axial bent lower links (mounted sideways) I got full turning without any tire rub, even with these huge lugs sticking out on the tires...

That's where I left it. Unfortunately, I decided to abandon this project. I am trying to downsize as I have so many RC projects going on I could never get to finishing this.

I listed it on cragslist, and someone purchased the body but the chassis is just collecting dust. I have been meaning to list it in the BST section but simply haven't gotten to it yet...
Old 02-28-2015, 07:36 PM   #14

How much are you asking for it?
kddep3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 10:54 AM   #15
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by kddep3 View Post
How much are you asking for it?
Sold to Clodz_72_2003
Old 03-09-2015, 07:20 AM   #16

Sweet!

Those beadlocks are cool. Who made them?
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 08:47 PM   #17
Pebble Pounder

Jato: Rc4wd, a few years back... Long discontinued.

Timmy2Tracks knows nothing of the Clod Buster (so, i'll make me a tribute truck)... - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
It's not a Clod Buster - It's the God Buster SINNER Tamiya Clod Buster 5 11-28-2006 07:08 AM
a new clod buster badtodabone Chit Chat 4 01-11-2006 06:31 AM