Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Superclass Crawlers > Tamiya Clod Buster

Notices

Thread: The SuperDuke2.2 Updated 11/27/06

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-16-2006, 06:01 PM   #21
PapaGriz Yo

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaXX_CrAWlER7
that thing is badd
especially with them red rocks
Thanks MaXX, I really like the look and I've gotten many compliments about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirkDigler
Yeah......Bad.
but not too bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by utbeamer
Which set of tires do you like the best, Red Rocks or All T's? Or are they all together different?
The RR's are a completely different tire, the rubber is much tackier than the All-T's. When new they would stick together, not as much as a Proline tire does, but just a little. I thought that might go away after using them but after the rock race this weekend, I washed the tires and they are still very tacky. They are uber-soft, you HAVE to run foams. I'm not sure if the softness hurts traction or not because the lugs fold over VERY easily.

I was very happy with the performance on dry rocks during the rock race. They gripped MUCH better than the All-T's and after the first course I had the second best time as well as being the only 2.2 to climb the bonus line. However, when the snow started falling and the rocks got covered in mud I was unable to climb one section that I could when it was dry. Many of the supers running Moabs couldn't either though. I had a hex slipping in the wheel so that may have contributed to the problem, not sure yet. Wheelspeed is still helpful with the RR's.

Here's the bottom line. I was running an 8 pound rig (2 subC packs for 14.4V), a 16" wheelbase (a little longer than I think I want with these tires), and it was cold and snowy the first time I used them. I can not say yet if they will work good or not. I am going to continue to run them in the winter series and see what happens. My impression thus far is that they are superior to the All-T's, I'm just not sure if they will crawl up stuff as well as Prolines.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gimbal
Ok, give up the dirt man. BTA tierod with the drag link in the front? Let's see a knuckle pic where the drag attaches Looks like a nice setup. How's it workin for ya?

Pede fronts are the wide offset, right? What's your overall track width?

Big SuperDuke fan I miss the frame coil setup tho
Finally someone noticed the steering setup! Sorry Gimbal, I am thinking of selling them and don't want to give away the secret yet. You shoulda grabbed a sneak peek at Nationals. Durability testing has shown that they hold up though and it works great.
Yes, Pede fronts make for the widest track. I narrowed the wheels by moving the outer bead in. The width before narrowing was about 13" and after narrowing the wheels to 1.25" wide, the overall width is 12.5". I actually didn't want to narrow the overall track but I didn't think about that when I did the wheels. But since the RR's are pretty narrow it may have worked out for the best.

I really miss the coil setup too, I really liked the look and it performed pretty well. I wanted to do it at least on the rear with this one but with the servos on the axle braces instead of on the side of the gear case I can't do it.
Grizzly4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-27-2006, 08:06 PM   #22
PapaGriz Yo

Update:

I shortened the wheelbase to 14 3/4"
it has 13 tooth pinions front and rear from the rock race setup
switched to 1 6cell sub-C pack for crawling
and painted up a new SuperDuke body for it.

At the 1st Colorado Winter Series event things went great for The SuperDuke.
I entered it in the super class and took seventh place out of 23 rigs.

On course 1 I pulled up to the first ledge and the tries spun when I tried to crawl it. Of course all the comments about the Imex tires started coming out. I backed up a little ,gave it a bump, and it went right up. The SuperDuke then proceeded to rip right through the course, in Bender's words "crushed it" , and matched the lowest score of the day (-4).

Course 2 and 3 went well also.

I would have finished in 4th place if not for a stupid driver error of running over a cone on course 2.

So far I am really happy with how it is working and don't plan to change anything for the next comp. The 13T pinions give it good wheelspeed even with the 7.2V pack. It's still early to make a judgement on the tires but at this point they are certainly exceeding my expectations.
Thanks for the replies guys.

Some more pics here:
http://www.rccrawlermedia.com/rcc-gallery/album46

Last edited by Grizzly4x4; 11-27-2006 at 11:22 PM.
Old 11-27-2006, 08:16 PM   #23
I wanna be Dave

Looking good Griz, good luck w/ the RR's.

I tried them for a few comps and now I'm back to Mashers. They just wouldn't bite on the slick rock we crawl here.

Last edited by dezfan; 01-18-2007 at 10:27 AM.
dezfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 08:33 PM   #24
RCC Addict

it looks awsome griz. and i like the RR's and never had a problem with them, just my .02 cents.

rich
rocpede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 10:03 PM   #25
PapaGriz Yo

Quote:
Originally Posted by dezfan
Looking good Griz, good luck w/ the RR's.

I tried them for a few comps and npw I'm back to Mashers. They just wouldn't bite on the slick rock we crawl here.
Thanks Dez. I am planning a set of backup tires since I still worry that may happen here. I am thinking another set of RR's with Losi Zombie maxx lugs glued on them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocpede
t looks awsome griz. and i like the RR's and never had a problem with them, just my .02 cents.

rich
Thanks rich. Glad to hear you've had good luck with them. I want to give them an honest shot to prove if they are good or not on the rocks around here. Every time I run them I feel better about the performance, I just worry that I will find a weakness somewhere.
Old 11-27-2006, 10:15 PM   #26
I wanna be Dave

We have a secondary crawl local that has rocks that looks similar to the texture of the rocks in your pic. The RR's do pretty good on that type of abrasive surface.

That could be the difference.
dezfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 10:21 PM   #27
Quarry Creeper

Dang Griz, the SD looks pretty sweet, but where is the winch? I like the new lid.
utbeamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 10:35 PM   #28
PapaGriz Yo

Quote:
Originally Posted by dezfan
We have a secondary crawl local that has rocks that looks similar to the texture of the rocks in your pic. The RR's do pretty good on that type of abrasive surface.

That could be the difference.
Yup, that could be a major factor. Most of the rocks here are like that; except the rocks at Palmer Park next week

Quote:
Originally Posted by utbeamer
Dang Griz, the SD looks pretty sweet, but where is the winch? I like the new lid.
Hey beamer, thanks for the compliment.
With the current chassis there is no place for a winch right now. Once I decide on a wheelbase I plan to make a chassis that will allow me to run the coil spring rear suspension and a winch on the front. Just to keep it more true to the original.
When you comin to Colorado?
Old 11-27-2006, 10:53 PM   #29
RCC Addict

Hey Griz here is a pic of the spot i use alot for testing some stuff, and the pic is my 14'r running the RR's. and sorry for high jacking your thread.

rich

Old 11-27-2006, 11:20 PM   #30
[HOONIGAN]

Looks sweet griz. I was impressed how well it did at the comp, nice job!
Wrecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 07:28 AM   #31
I wanna be Dave

Hey Griz, quick question, what are you running on the RR ? cut foams, bb's, full foams?
cartronicshn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 08:20 AM   #32
Rock Crawler

Truck looks great man! I definately like the "classic" paint scheme as well.

Any updates on that front steering yet? If you are going to sell them, I want one for my Super! Very interesting design...would be great with my current setup.

-Destroyer
Destroyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 09:12 AM   #33
Quarry Creeper

The SD just keeps getting better and better Griz. Awesome rig!!!
mulchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 01:19 PM   #34
PapaGriz Yo

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocpede
Hey Griz here is a pic of the spot i use alot for testing some stuff, and the pic is my 14'r running the RR's. and sorry for high jacking your thread.

rich
Concrete chunks have great traction and I too have found that Imex tires work well on them. Me and my friends use them in our backyard courses as well. Great lookin rig.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrecker
Looks sweet griz. I was impressed how well it did at the comp, nice job!
Thanks man. I was happily suprised as well. I honestly expected it to have at least some traction issues. Your 2.2 looks great as well, nice job on the dovetail.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartronicshn
Hey Griz, quick question, what are you running on the RR ? cut foams, bb's, full foams?
I am running full Masher 2000 foams. I experimented and felt that that gave me the best compromise between sidewall support and flex.
I don't run weight in my wheels as that takes away from wheelspeed. I run six 1/4oz stick on wheel weights in each steering knuckle. They fit perfect betweenthe knucle and the wheel. You can see them in some of the pics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destroyer
Truck looks great man! I definately like the "classic" paint scheme as well.

Any updates on that front steering yet? If you are going to sell them, I want one for my Super! Very interesting design...would be great with my current setup.

-Destroyer
Thanks Destroyer, I think the Bronc body and paint scheme really brought it alive. Glad you like it too.

I'm trying to decide if I should optimize the design with some computer modeling or just make them like they are. The steering arm works great but there is always room for improvement, however if I don't get on it someone's gonna figure out what I did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulchman
The SD just keeps getting better and better Griz. Awesome rig!!!
Thanks Mulchman, I'm glad you like it. I wanted to build something that suits my tastes. Something closer to scale than most supers but still has enough performance to be competitive. Hells, it took me half an hour and a couple bodies just to cut the fenders and grill so that I didn't lose too much of the Bronco look.

Thanks guys.
Old 11-29-2006, 01:58 PM   #35
Rock Stacker

truck is looking good as alwalys
boner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 02:36 PM   #36
I lost my vendor privileges

nice lookin rig. i saw on 1st page that you cannot cure clodstall. i didnt know i was sick. lol. keep on building.. you can control clodstall though. 4 channel,2-evx's,55turn axle snappers,8 tooths.2-3300's.
clodstall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 05:53 PM   #37
PapaGriz Yo

Quote:
Originally Posted by boner
truck is looking good as alwalys
Thanks boner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clodstall
nice lookin rig. i saw on 1st page that you cannot cure clodstall. i didnt know i was sick. lol.
Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clodstall
keep on building.. you can control clodstall though. 4 channel,2-evx's,55turn axle snappers,8 tooths.2-3300's.
Really
I have always said that stall can be controlled. Mismatched front/rear pinions, or how about my Laser4, and dual SuperRoosters. J/K
Old 11-29-2006, 08:04 PM   #38
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly4x4
Concrete chunks have great traction and I too have found that Imex tires work well on them. Me and my friends use them in our backyard courses as well. Great lookin rig.
thank u and tha same to u too.

rcih
Old 11-29-2006, 08:39 PM   #39
RCC Addict

To see this rig in action was a treat. It was a few weeks ago @ the rock race @ Kris's, and I'm sure there's been some changes other than the new body....but it was pretty impressive. Was the 1st time I've seen crawlers in action up close and personal, but this one really stuck out.
DeaDShorT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 06:43 AM   #40
Ace
Rock Crawler

Good to see the Duke in action again!
Ace is offline   Reply With Quote