RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Tamiya Clod Buster (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/tamiya-clod-buster/)
-   -   The SuperDuke2.2 Updated 11/27/06 (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/tamiya-clod-buster/48463-superduke2-2-updated-11-27-06-a.html)

Grizzly4x4 11-03-2006 03:32 PM

The SuperDuke2.2 Updated 11/27/06

It's been a while since I came up with a new version of the original Duke so I thought it was time to resurrect him. Enter The SuperDuke 2.2

Right before nationals this year I built a new chassis for my supercrawler entry. I decided to venture away from my normal builds with coil spring suspension and go with coilovers all around in order to keep the chassis smaller and use an all compression suspension design.
To build this chassis I looked back to my El Diablo chassis for the link mounting positions and just repeated them every 1/2" to give me an adjustable wheelbase. With the length of the links the wheelbase can be adjusted from 14.5" to 17.5". Next I decided on a shock mounting angle and position on the links and made the shock mounting holes. I also gave myself some adjustability there. I like my shocks to be close to the axle at the link end and close to a 45 degree angle. I also made this chassis narrower at 2.5" than the El Diablo which was 4" wide. This gave me more link clearance for turning and should reduce hanging up on the chassis in the rocks. I'll call this chassis the El Diablo II. It is made from 0.065" thick aluminum.

After Moab I decided (again) that I really don't like super class trucks with 40 series wheels so I tried to think what to do with it. It didn't exactly set the world on fire at Moab but I believe it has potential, I just had no time to test and tweak it before competing with it. I decided that since I love 2.2 Clods but I will be competing in 2.2 with a TLT that I would just make this into a 2.2 super class rig.

I adjusted the wheelbase down to 15", switched out the Traxxas XXL shocks (Maxx) for some Traxxas Long (Pede front) shocks, threw on some electric Pede front wheels, and ordered some 2.2 Imex Red Rocks.

Full specs are:
Electric Stampede front wheels
Imex 2.2 Red Rock tires
55T Integy motors
Super Rooster ESC
Hitec TG5998 front servo
JR Z9000T rear servo
10 tooth front/ 9 tooth rear gearing
ClodMod Racing motor mounts with clear covers
Traxxas Stampede Front shocks with Losi Red rear buggy springs
ThunderTech Racing upper link mounts
Traxxas Maxx Rod Ends

I really like the look of this and I think it has potential to do well in the super class. There were 2.2's that climbed obstacles that skunked supers in Moab so size is not everything. "thumbsup"
Soon I will paint up a Bronco body with flames for the traditional SuperDuke look.
http://www.rccrawlermedia.com/rcc-al..._005.sized.jpg
http://www.rccrawlermedia.com/rcc-al..._006.sized.jpg

Here is a naked shot.
http://www.rccrawlermedia.com/rcc-al..._007.sized.jpg

Here is the mandatory flex shot. It still has another 1/2" - 3/4" more flex than you see here.
http://www.rccrawlermedia.com/rcc-al..._008.sized.jpg

Here you can see the tie rod position of the BTA steering. The tie rod is 3/16" x 0.035" wall aluminum tubing.
http://www.rccrawlermedia.com/rcc-al..._004.sized.jpg

I need to narrow the wheels, glue the tires, and do some testing. I am undecided on gearing and battery choices so that will be worked out as I go. I also need to make a longer skidplate.

cartronicshn 11-03-2006 03:39 PM

looks very nice, the body looks great with that wb"thumbsup"

Grizzly4x4 11-03-2006 03:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cartronicshn
looks very nice, the body looks great with that wb"thumbsup"

Thanks cart, I really like how it looks with the WB and tires. Now to try and make it perform. :lol: :lol:

SPECIAL ED 11-03-2006 04:13 PM

It must be addiction you have with clods. I sure the hell don't undestand the atraction you have with clodstall. The Duke looks good with the 2.2 wheels/tires on it. Now it just needs the trade mark Grizz Bronco body on it.

Grizzly4x4 11-03-2006 04:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SPECIAL ED
It must be addiction you have with clods. I sure the hell don't undestand the atraction you have with clodstall. The Duke looks good with the 2.2 wheels/tires on it. Now it just needs the trade mark Grizz Bronco body on it.

I don't know why I love clods, especially 2.2 clods, so much.... but I do. :lol: :lol:
I've got a couple Bronco bodies kickin in the basement, one will get the trademark white with blue flames paint job. 8) Thanks ED.

Espeefan 11-04-2006 12:45 AM

Looks cool. I like the tires! Clod stall is nothing that can't be cured. "thumbsup" I'm pretty much convinced there isn't a better drivetrain to adapt to crawling.

ThinkTank 11-04-2006 12:55 AM

hey grizzly you don't have clodstall ,we all have clodstall execpt nylint
guys

Grizzly4x4 11-08-2006 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Espeefan
Looks cool. I like the tires! Clod stall is nothing that can't be cured. "thumbsup" I'm pretty much convinced there isn't a better drivetrain to adapt to crawling.

Quote:

Originally Posted by GT40
hey grizzly you don't have clodstall ,we all have clodstall execpt nylint
guys

Clod stall cannot be "cured" it is the fact that the two axles are not tied together that means you will always experience it given the right circumstances. I have never been bothered by the stall but in some situations it has been a hinderance. Running the two different pinions just helps keep it to a manageable level. Thanks for the comments guys.

GT40, Nylints have Nylint stall, not clodstall. :lol:

I got the wheels narrowed and the tires mounted with rockrings this week. It looks even better Espeefan. :wink: Last night I spent some time experimenting with spring setup and link lengths.
I found that when trying to crawl my stairs it was lifting the front end alot so I put the shorter front links on the rear and it helped. I will make some even shorter links for the rear to see if that helps even more. My last 2.2 Clod almost never lifted the front end but the last two 2.2 clods I have built do. I think it is because the rear lower links were very near the center of the chassis on these last two and the first one had very short links.

Here is the original El Diablo chassis, notice the short links.
http://www.rccrawlermedia.com/rcc-al...1/DSC_7339.jpg

Here is the last chassis I built, it's hard to see but the links mount closer together on the chassis.
http://www.rccrawlermedia.com/rcc-al...sc013093ou.jpg

I also found that the suspension was too stiff. When I would line up on the stairs the front tires would be just at the top of one step while the rears were at the bottom of the next step. When I tried to bump it up it would just bounce off the step when the rears hit. I softened up the suspension and now it hops right up the step. I changed the spacers so that the spring was not preloaded at all with the shock fully extended and used the orange Losi springs front and rear.
Crawling stairs is not much of a test but I think the idea of getting the suspension setup so that I can bump it up vertical objects is valid.

This thing has lots of wheelspeed, especially when running on 14.4V. I think it should do well in the rock race with 14.4V and then I can switch to one battery for the crawling competitions.

No more pics till the true SuperDuke (Bronco) body is on it. :wink:

DirkDigler 11-08-2006 03:51 PM

Hmmmmm.........It may be a contender against Super Satan.:roll: Doubtful!:lol:

STANG KILLA SS 11-08-2006 03:57 PM

look very NNish. should do well.

Grizzly4x4 11-08-2006 05:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DirkDigler
Hmmmmm.........It may be a contender against Super Satan.:roll: Doubtful!:lol:

:roll: :lol: :lol:

Quote:

Originally Posted by STANG KILLA SS
ook very NNish. should do well.

I was wondering who was going to be the first to say that. :lol: :lol:
Although it does look similar I assure you nothing was copied. The link placement holes came from my El Diablo Chassis (I just added more for WB adjustment) and the shock angle came from me eyeballing an angle that I thought looked good and was similar to the El Diablo as well. The overall shape just came from cutting the most amount of material I felt I could. Plus all I have is an air cut-off wheel to cut with so straight lines are much easier for me. :lol:

Thanks, I think it has potential to do well with some tweaks. The tires may or may not hold me back but I'm gonna give it a go and tweak as I learn what it needs.

utbeamer 11-10-2006 10:19 PM

Thanks Griz for making me purchase another set of clod axles. :smile:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grizzly4x4
The tires may or may not hold me back but I'm gonna give it a go and tweak as I learn what it needs.

Are you never going to learn? :lol: P R O L I N E

Looks like you need a trip to utah for another lesson. :roll:

suck my wake 11-13-2006 06:37 PM

besides the collars, what did you use for the lower shock mounts?

rocpede 11-13-2006 07:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by suck my wake

i think those are 1/4" cable clamps for the lower shock mounts.

rich

Grizzly4x4 11-14-2006 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by utbeamer
Thanks Griz for making me purchase another set of clod axles. :smile:

Are you never going to learn? :lol: P R O L I N E

Looks like you need a trip to utah for another lesson. :roll:

Glad I could help beamer :razz: Proline refuses to make a 2.2 tire 5.5" tall and that's what i like to run. What can I say, I'm a glutton for punishment. :lol:

Quote:

Originally Posted by suck my wake

Quote:

Originally Posted by rocpede
i think those are 1/4" cable clamps for the lower shock mounts.

rich

Close, they are 3/16" nylon cable clamps. I get them from Radio Shack.
"suck my wake" did you get that from "The Great Outdoors"?
"Would you rather cruise the lake in comfort, or skim the waves in a kickazz jet boat" :lol: :lol:

suck my wake 11-14-2006 01:54 PM

thanks for the answer. when i first got into rc hobbies i started with boats. and coworker of mine is always tlking bout a boat that he refers to as "suck my wake" so it kinda just stuck with me.

MaXX_CrAWlER7 11-14-2006 02:02 PM

that thing is badd
especially with them red rocks

utbeamer 11-15-2006 10:48 PM

Which set of tires do you like the best, Red Rocks or All T's? Or are they all together different?

DirkDigler 11-16-2006 09:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MaXX_CrAWlER7
that thing is badd
especially with them red rocks

Yeah......Bad.:lol:

Gimbal 11-16-2006 11:40 AM

Ok, give up the dirt man. BTA tierod with the drag link in the front? Let's see a knuckle pic where the drag attaches:?: Looks like a nice setup. How's it workin for ya?

Pede fronts are the wide offset, right? What's your overall track width?

Big SuperDuke fan "thumbsup" I miss the frame coil setup tho :cry: