Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Superclass Crawlers > Tamiya Clod Buster

Notices

Thread: Taking advantage of increased steering angle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-26-2006, 08:56 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Taking advantage of increased steering angle

I just got finished installing my CVD's. I ground the knuckles for clearance.
I get great steering angle but the problem is that I cant use it all.

If I turn both sides to full lock the tie rod is about 1/4" to short. But when the wheels are straight its perfect length.

I concluded that this is because as the knuckles cycle its gets to a point to where one knuckle is not pushing the tie rod anymore just moving it closer to the axles center line.

Those of you that have CVD's how have you got around this?? Or do you just not use all of the steering abality?
85mudblazin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-27-2006, 09:27 AM   #2
~THE SCALE SHOP~

im not running CVDs but ive got my stockies crazy modified. you may be running into the same situation as me. your tie rod is a straight pull situation. your knuckles are turned so far that the tie rod is a straight pull on the arm on the knuckle only way i see to fix it is to extend the arm on the knuckle.
but with you using 4ws. i think youve got more than enough. im only running 2ws. and thats whats limiting my steering. my knuckles can go further, just the tie rods have no angle left to pull on hte knuckle arms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 85mudblazin
I just got finished installing my CVD's. I ground the knuckles for clearance.
I get great steering angle but the problem is that I cant use it all.

If I turn both sides to full lock the tie rod is about 1/4" to short. But when the wheels are straight its perfect length.

I concluded that this is because as the knuckles cycle its gets to a point to where one knuckle is not pushing the tie rod anymore just moving it closer to the axles center line.

Those of you that have CVD's how have you got around this?? Or do you just not use all of the steering abality?
STANG KILLA SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 09:33 AM   #3
PapaGriz Yo

In order to make use of the extra throw at the knuckles you will need to use a longer servo horn to increase the throw of the servo.

This will make your servo push with less force though, so in order to keep the same truning force you will need a stronger servo to make up for it. Jason's Hustler tuber uses a 1/4 scale servo.
Grizzly4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 11:15 AM   #4
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly4x4
In order to make use of the extra throw at the knuckles you will need to use a longer servo horn to increase the throw of the servo.

This will make your servo push with less force though, so in order to keep the same truning force you will need a stronger servo to make up for it. Jason's Hustler tuber uses a 1/4 scale servo.
Yea I did that, its not a servo throw problem. As Stang killa mentioned it just gets to a point to where it is pulling straight on the knuckle instead of pulling it around in a arc.

I did think about extending the knuckles a little but with both my draglink and tie rod bent for clearance it already sticks pretty far out there.
Old 11-27-2006, 11:24 AM   #5
PapaGriz Yo

Quote:
Originally Posted by 85mudblazin
Yea I did that, its not a servo throw problem. As Stang killa mentioned it just gets to a point to where it is pulling straight on the knuckle instead of pulling it around in a arc.

I did think about extending the knuckles a little but with both my draglink and tie rod bent for clearance it already sticks pretty far out there.
Ah, well then hopefully someone who has made it work will chime in about how they did it.
Grizzly4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 11:59 AM   #6
~THE SCALE SHOP~

85 i think were just steering greedy. i think most have just called that point "good enough"
Old 11-27-2006, 12:09 PM   #7
RCC Addict

Yea I ran into this on my pimp cane clod with 1/4 scales I solved it with aluminum knuckles I was then maxing out the cvd's
syco133 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 12:52 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

if your looking for more knuckle throw your going to have to get a longer servo horn.
rcracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 01:00 PM   #9
~THE SCALE SHOP~

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcracer
if your looking for more knuckle throw your going to have to get a longer servo horn.
lol these guys crack me up. they just dont read.
Old 11-27-2006, 01:20 PM   #10
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by syco133
Yea I ran into this on my pimp cane clod with 1/4 scales I solved it with aluminum knuckles I was then maxing out the cvd's
Are the aluminum ones longer??? I know they have 2 mounting holes. Mine should be here any minute from the brown truck so hopefully they will allow more