Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Superclass Crawlers > Tamiya Clod Buster

Notices

Thread: RC4WD Aluminum Steering Knuckles Instructions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-08-2006, 12:48 AM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default RC4WD Aluminum Steering Knuckles Instructions

My LHS is starting to carry RC4WD custom parts. Parts look awesome and beefy.
A couple of us guys were asked by one of the owners if I could figure out how the new Aluminum steering knuckles fit using all the parts that came with it.

Without our tools to shim, shave, cut and custom fit using the existing parts, we were a little surprised that it did not come together as well as we expected.
I did a search as I always do but did not find any tangible info on the proper install of the new knuckles.

If anyone can at least point me to the install link or a writeup, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks

SMR4RUNNER
SMR4RUNNER is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-08-2006, 06:11 PM   #2
Rock Stacker

Default rc4wd alu knuckles

I got my steering knuckles today,and without some serious grinding on them,you will not get much steering.I think even worse than the original clod ones.Not good at all.

I bought the complete clodaxsles (2.0 axle kit),and it looks to me that i got the knuckles that comes with the alu-axletubes.
Im also missing 4 bearings to go in the knuckle.

Last edited by savage from the north; 12-08-2006 at 06:30 PM.
savage from the north is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 06:41 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

I can't believe they haven't figured this out yet I just received my axle tubes and knuckles and tore the whole truck down to get these on and now the knuckles don't fit!!!

I'm pissed as I have a 2.2 comp in Augusta to attend this weekend

P
canucksrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 08:25 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

check www.inetrc.com this knuckles are the sh!t !!
throttleboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 10:58 AM   #5
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by canucksrc
I can't believe they haven't figured this out yet I just received my axle tubes and knuckles and tore the whole truck down to get these on and now the knuckles don't fit!!!

I'm pissed as I have a 2.2 comp in Augusta to attend this weekend

P

i am having the same problem. all of the spacers that came with my knuckles wont fit the axle tubes.

i ended up making some to suit.

i hope they get this resolved.

otherwise the tubes and knuckles look very well made
lime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 06:28 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by lime
i am having the same problem. all of the spacers that came with my knuckles wont fit the axle tubes.

i ended up making some to suit.

i hope they get this resolved.

otherwise the tubes and knuckles look very well made
I'm suprised you all are having this trouble. The RC4WD stuff looks so well made. I have been thinking about buying the knuckles and using with my stock tubes for now but maybe I'll wait and just buy some extra plastic stock units until you guys have some good news.

I already increased my streering by snipping off the steering stops on the knuckles, that sure helped in terms of radius!
gskar1129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 07:19 PM   #7

They are still working some bugs out
RyanJT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 07:40 PM   #8
Rock Stacker

In early December, I bought RC4WD knuckles. They sent me the wrong ones. They said they were for the aluminum axle housings they carry. Mike made me a deal on the housings. I got them yesturday. I cannot for the life of me fiqure out how to put them together.

Here is a pic of what I Got.

swaugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 08:41 PM   #9

Thumbs up

There is a way to make those ones work with the plastic axle tubes though. Just follow my directions (below).

The screws that they give you with the knuckles will not work with the plastic axle tubes. They become loose because they are threaded the full length of the screw, and they rub the axle tubes, creating a ratcheting motion which will make them looser with every turn. You need to make some homemade shoulder bolts like I did.

First, buy eight 4x50mm bolts (the kinds that only have threads on the last ¼ of the bolt) and eight nuts that will easily slide over the bolts. Next, cut the thread length down to about 1/8 inch (that way, when the bolt runs out of thread, it will be able to stay tight to the knuckles; no thread locker needed), and cut the smooth end of the bolt to about ¾ inch (you will lose the bolt head when you do this). Finally, weld a nut onto the smooth side of each bolt (the nut will serve as the head of the bolt).

OK, they are now ready to be installed. Use the plastic spacers and the metal washers to find an arrangement that will keep the knuckles centered. After you find a set up that will work, put the bolts in, and tighten them to the knuckles until they are snug. By doing this, you will have smoother steering that will be easy on your servos, and the bolts will not be able to come loose from steering.

Hope this solves your RC4WD aluminum knuckle problems (it did for me)!

Last edited by crazyforcrawlers; 01-10-2007 at 09:05 PM.
crazyforcrawlers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 09:01 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by savage from the north
I got my steering knuckles today,and without some serious grinding on them,you will not get much steering.I think even worse than the original clod ones.Not good at all.

I bought the complete clodaxsles (2.0 axle kit),and it looks to me that i got the knuckles that comes with the alu-axletubes.
Im also missing 4 bearings to go in the knuckle.
This is the steering angle my Clod has with my home made shoulder bolts, and I didn't have to do any grinding on the knuckles (I also have RC4WD Clod wheel wideners/hubs, so maybe that makes a difference, too):

http://s89.photobucket.com/albums/k2...t=PICT0111.jpg
Old 01-11-2007, 12:34 AM   #11
Pebble Pounder

i just got a reply from RC4wd and they said they forgot to send me the bearings that go with the axle tubes.

they are now on the way

so if you guys are having troubles i would send RC4wd an email. ( if you havent already)

they have always taken care of me and i have no doubt they will do the same for all the other people that spend their cash for a set of these.

in terms of build quality they look strong and beefy. I have no complaints on that end.

Last edited by lime; 01-11-2007 at 12:44 AM.
lime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 01:02 AM   #12
Pebble Pounder

That is the same stuff that I received with my axle tubes and knuckles. They say that my bearings are on the way also

P
canucksrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 02:24 PM   #13
RCC Addict

yeah guys i just got a set of the blue ones used and they dont fit with out some work...
you want good knuckles you dont have to modify get a set of new era knuckles... i put them on the rear of my truck and they are by far a superior product.
4stAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 04:20 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4stAir
yeah guys i just got a set of the blue ones used and they dont fit with out some work...
you want good knuckles you dont have to modify get a set of new era knuckles... i put them on the rear of my truck and they are by far a superior product.

Just ordered a set from them monday.
I hope they're as good as they look.
RockShocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 05:48 PM   #15

When I bought my Rockbull 2 kit, there were a lot of missing parts. I was missing the Clod axles, pinions, motor mounts, and the Clod metal parts bag. After RC4WD sent me all of those things for free, I noticed that the stock knuckles would not go together. So RC4WD sent me free aluminum knuckles and Clod wheel wideners/hubs. After I got the parts, I had to make my own shoulder bolts. RC4WD also wanted to send me some of the newer knuckles for free. So today, I received 2 sets of the free aluminum knuckles (2 sets, not 2 pairs). Right now I am working on putting the new knuckles on. Here are some pics taken on my cheap digital camera:

The parts i got today:

http://s89.photobucket.com/albums/k216/Folgers_01/?action=view&current=PICT0115.jpg

A custom bolt next to a RC4WD bolt:

http://s89.photobucket.com/albums/k216/Folgers_01/?action=view&current=PICT0117.jpg

A new knuckle on my Clod:

http://s89.photobucket.com/albums/k216/Folgers_01/?action=view&current=PICT0118.jpg
Old 01-11-2007, 07:06 PM   #16
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyforcrawlers
This is the steering angle my Clod has with my home made shoulder bolts, and I didn't have to do any grinding on the knuckles (I also have RC4WD Clod wheel wideners/hubs, so maybe that makes a difference, too):

http://s89.photobucket.com/albums/k2...t=PICT0111.jpg
That turning radius is still really bad though.
SMR4RUNNER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 07:43 PM   #17

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMR4RUNNER
That turning radius is still really bad though.

It's not bad for free parts though.

OK, I have the new RC4WD knuckles installed:

http://s89.photobucket.com/albums/k216/Folgers_01/?action=view&current=PICT0119.jpg

The custom shoulder bolts keep the the knuckles tight, and keep the steering very smooth.