Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Superclass Crawlers > Tamiya Clod Buster

Notices

Thread: setting up CFNN

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-23-2006, 06:01 AM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default setting up CFNN

I have recently built a clod crawler using a cfnn chassis and now that i have run it for a week or so it is time to start fine tunning the chassis wheels and tires.
My question is how much difference does it make if it is setup as a 50/50 vs60/40 configeration.The instructions do not tell you how to set it up for the 60/40 but from what i can tell you would move the front link bars back on the chassis to put more weight on the front tires.The only down side i see to this is i would loose wheelbase because i am in the longest wheelbase setting of 17 inches and i like the wheelbase. This thing seems like the front end treads to light on long climbs.
Would moving the batt. further foward on the skid plate do the same thing as setting the chassis up as a 60/40 or am i way off on this one?
My other guestion is how much does adding weight to the front wheels help in draging the rest of the truck up and over stuff. I do not want to add alot of weight if it is not going to help.
I looked at a magazine article with to diferent clod builds in it and one said he runs 11 ounces of stick on weights per front wheel and the other was a cfnn and he said he runs 8-10 ounces of weight in each front wheel.To me it seems like that much weight would do more harm than good but i do not know that is why i am asking. Any insight on this would be helpfull.
Thanks Joe
joesbruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-23-2006, 07:52 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

I also have a cfnn and yes you set the front links back 1 hole to16.5 wheel base then you add weight to the front wheels, I have bead lock wheels and I have at least 10 ounces lead stick on weights in each wheel
and it climbs very very good,I just streached my wheel base out to19" and I am still testing so far its better than it was befor.
chimney.
chimney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2006, 09:23 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

I thought i was right on how to achive the 60/40 setup.
I played with weight inside the front wheels alittle today and i am going to continue to see if i can find the sweet spot for my setup.
I found a spot to test on today that with no weight it would not climb,it would just bring the front up in the air .
I added 5 ounces of weight to each front wheel and it would make it a little further before it would stand up.
I then aded 2 more ounces to each wheel and it would make it to the top of the slope i was trying to climb and break over the top.
I think it was still a little light in the front but i did not have any more weights with me .
I could not get over how much difference the weight made when climbing steep ledges and grades,but i wonder were it will hurt how the rig works on other types of terrain.
joesbruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2006, 06:10 AM   #4
RCC Addict

move the cells out to the front axle. that made a big difference on mine
emaxxjeremy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2006, 08:53 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

I run about 12oz's in each front wheel and a 17" WB and it climbs great!!
Attached Images

Link is offline   Reply With Quote