Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Superclass Crawlers > Tamiya Clod Buster

Notices

Thread: Removing deans connectors on Pimpcane.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-02-2007, 12:45 AM   #21
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamDeweyRacing
i had those power poles on a few of my trucks and i hate them!! the contacts in them get loose and pull away from the other contact the wrong bump and it would lose power and i just about went crazy and ive had the same prob as you with deans and it was probly that you held the sodering iron on the deans to long and moved the contact or sodered the to ends and pluged them in while they were still a little to hot
i had that powerpole problem once but i just put in the metal tabs in better and now i have no problems.
rcca is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-02-2007, 01:40 AM   #22
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamDeweyRacing
i had those power poles on a few of my trucks and i hate them!! the contacts in them get loose and pull away from the other contact the wrong bump and it would lose power and i just about went crazy and ive had the same prob as you with deans and it was probly that you held the sodering iron on the deans to long and moved the contact or sodered the to ends and pluged them in while they were still a little to hot
HAHA you had a problem with both connectors? Sounds like driver error while installing. What do you run now? I'd say power poles are better because you can rebuild the connectors with a tiny screw driver and a soldering iron. Piece of cake.
minijosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 02:05 AM   #23
Rock Stacker

Deans are great just gotta be good and quick at soldering them.
I use a little bit of associated's black grease so theyre alot easier to pull apart.
LEDDPIPE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 09:19 AM   #24
Web Wheeling

I used to use powerpoles. At first I was crimping them, until I started having wires pull out. After that I soldered all of them. Then I found with some I had to super glue the pair together.... Some of them would be a very loose fit when slid together.

And the biggest issue I had with them was when I started racing my Clod. Had a few times where the battery would just unplug after a jump.... Some powerpoles held great, others were very loose.

Deans are very touchy, if you use to much heat you will melt the plastic and shift the pins. You can help avoid this by plugging two of them together when soldering. Also tin both the wires and plug, then solder them together.
Etype R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 10:37 AM   #25
Quarry Creeper

Following what Etype-R has mentioned, I am going to un-solder a pair of the connectors, put them together and resolder them. I will let you know what happens. I will do it on the tightest pair I can find.

Looking on other threads that I searched regarding the deans been a tight connection, it appears that I am not the only person who has encountered problems with them.
Tronk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 11:14 AM   #26
Web Wheeling

If you over heated them and moved the pins, I do not think you will have much luck in fixing them. I would just buy new ones and start over again.
Etype R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 11:49 AM   #27
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by dezfan
Are they "Deans" or knock offs? I have NEVER had an issue w/ Deans. They are the best in the biz bar none!
Oddly enough, I had the exact opposite problem. Of all the deans I bought from the LHS, I had nothing but problems with them being way too tight and not quite lining up correctly.

All my cheapo chinese knockoffs work perfectly for me.
Cloak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 12:06 PM   #28
Quarry Creeper

Bit of an update.

I de-soldered the wires from the deans connectors. I the put the connectors together and heated each metal tab. I then allowed them to cool. Once they had cooled I was then able to remove them without using pliers. I also sighted each tab with my eyes and gave a couple of them a little "tickle" with a pair of pliers. I will have to see what happens when I resolder the wires back on. I have to soldering irons that I can use. A 100 watt model and a 12 watt model.
Tronk is offline   Reply With Quote