Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Superclass Crawlers > Tamiya Clod Buster

Notices

Thread: Lathe motor questions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-11-2007, 02:11 AM   #1

Default Lathe motor questions

I know this has probably been beat to death. But I have a Gecko II that I have put together and am currently running stock clod motoors and gearing. I want to go with lathe motors but have few question that need answered first.

I run a 1500 mah battery, the cheap ones from tower hobbies. Will these do fine for the lathe motors?

Can I run my stock gearing with the lathe motors or do I need to change pinions and if so what sizes?

And how much diffrence is betwen the 45 55 65 Integy motors?
Everybody is always out 55 and 65 but seems to have surplus of 45, why do most folks not use a 45?

Thanks

HillBilly
HillBilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-11-2007, 08:45 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by HillBilly
I know this has probably been beat to death. But I have a Gecko II that I have put together and am currently running stock clod motoors and gearing. I want to go with lathe motors but have few question that need answered first.

I run a 1500 mah battery, the cheap ones from tower hobbies. Will these do fine for the lathe motors?

Can I run my stock gearing with the lathe motors or do I need to change pinions and if so what sizes?

And how much diffrence is betwen the 45 55 65 Integy motors?
Everybody is always out 55 and 65 but seems to have surplus of 45, why do most folks not use a 45?

Thanks

HillBilly
Baterries will be fine you will get less run time out of them

Stock gearing is a little tall for crawling but it depends on a few other things also.(tire size,voltage etc..) A 9 tooth and 55 would work well on 6v

If you use a higher turn motor use more cells (voltage) to get some wheels speed back.
hotwheels000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 09:08 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Lathes have better runs times then most motors do. For a Clod 65t's are great. I ran 65t on my 2.2 with 9 and 10t pinions with a 9.6v Pack. Worked great. What I did was buy two of each pinion. (8's, 9's, 10's and 11's)Play around with the different pinions and see what you like. Pinions are cheap. Make sure you buy the ones that are a single piece and not the 2 piece models. They tend to come loose after a few min's. I'm now testing out the new V10 60t Crawler motors from Axiom. Axiom make great lathes. Very smooth speed and great control. Get a good ESC. That will make a big Difference also. If you don't like you will speed just add another cell to your battery pack. Go to Holmes through this site or use www.cheapbatterypacks.com . Battery packs don't cost much either and ae easy to make yourself. Play with those two options and you will find what your looking for. Good luck....
run2jeepn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 01:12 AM   #4

Thanks for the help I appreciate it!
HillBilly is offline   Reply With Quote