Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Superclass Crawlers > Tamiya Clod Buster

Notices

Thread: Stuck with DIG

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-16-2007, 09:46 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Stuck with DIG

I have been reading the threads regarding the DIG set up on an clod. I am wanting to have a rear brake, as where I go crawling there are so many cambers and I could lose my truck in the sea water as I slide forward. I believe that if I use something like the DUD method, that will remove the power to the rear axle and then if I do something like in the enclosed picture that will lock the rear wheels. Where I am confused is that the DIG and BRAKE seem to be two seperate issues. I thought that if you had DIG you also had BRAKE. I believe Run2jeepin had a good idea somewhere of using the same servo to operate the swith and move the brake rods. Has anyone any thoughts on the best way for me to brake the back wheels. I am using a 17" Pimpcane with clod axles. Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyboy
Still working on that part.

tommy boy here is how i did my brakes .
Tronk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-16-2007, 09:54 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

I'm still working on it....Give me some time.
run2jeepn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 09:57 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Run2jeepin.

I shall watch in eager anticipation. I watch your threads as I like what you do.
Old 01-16-2007, 01:27 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

I have just been having a play about and I just wondered if you had any thoughts on it.

The link that is hanging through the tire will obviously be cut off. I have screwed it into a thinner link for lightness. The thinner link is secured by a whatsit thing [forgot what you call them. They go on the end of links].I knocked up a larger base plate for it all to mount on and also drilled a hole in the plate to get to the screw at the top of the steering knuckle. The switch should mount on the base plate at the side of the servo. I hope to get the switch to cut off the power before the brake engages in the wheel. I thought that as the diffs are locked it would only need a brake at one side. I know things like this have been spoke about before but I can only find information on 2.2 trucks
Attached Images

Old 01-16-2007, 01:50 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Another option is brushless.

Dragbreak would hold the truck as well as a mechanical brake.

As far as the off camber and the water... The truck can still slide in no matter how much braking you have!

Your set up should work well with some fine tuning.
Unholy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 11:20 AM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Here is a bit of an update. It is still not finished but it does seem to work. I have not wired the switch yet and still have washers and bolts to install etc, I think you will get the idea though.

The spring I took out of a biro pen. Where it fastens to the top of the swith I did originally drill a small hole in the top of the switch and inserted the spring. It did not sit straight though. I then cut of the tip of a panel pin, glued it into the hole of the switch and then glued the spring around the pin. I thought the pin would act as a key for the glue. The spring is now sitting flat on the switch. The idea is that the spring puts pressure on the switch and cuts the motor off before the pin engages in the wheel. When the brake is released it should clear the wheel before the power comes onto the motor. To keep the spring straight I cut down and bent a body clip so that it fits in the servo horn and hangs down straight. I then removed the outer sheathing from some cable and inserted it over the cut body clip. The sheathing then slides into the body of the spring and keeps the spring straight as it moves. I did try it mocked up and it worked perfectley. I just need to let the glue set on the spring and have a bit of a fine tune by cutting the spring. Once it is working I then intend to cut my wires and power up the switch.
Attached Images

Old 01-17-2007, 11:39 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

That pic that you posted up top is BADD's HUSTLER, I used that setup on the YellowJacket to use with the revo disconect, and he did the same with the HUSTLER, the point being for front wheel drive and dig. On a super if you have rear stear and dig, aren't you using a 4 channel tx, if so why not just use dual esc's. The only problem I see with your setup is what happens when you turn the wheels, is it going to hit the brake arm?? Or are you just going to get rid of the rear steer??
Kamikaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 11:44 AM   #8
Quarry Creeper

I thought about the dual ESC idea. The money is not an isue but I thought I would try this first. I am quite enjoying buggering about with the trucks we have and I am getting a lot of satisfaction and enjoyment. Even if it does not work I will just return it to how it was.

With regard to the wheels catching, I tried it mocked up and I think it might work. I will find out later when I connect everything up properly. The brake arm is heading for the centre of the axle and not towards the edge of the wheel.

If it does catch it is no great loss and I will probably go the dual ESC route.

Last edited by Tronk; 01-17-2007 at 11:47 AM.
Old 01-18-2007, 01:36 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unholy
Another option is brushless.

Dragbrake would hold the truck as well as a mechanical brake.

As far as the off camber and the water... The truck can still slide in no matter how much braking you have!

Your set up should work well with some fine tuning.
I am not aware of the dragbrake option. Is it like using an ESC. I thought that with an ESC you could have reverse or breake, but not at the same time. Could anyone offer advice on the dragbrake option please.

As a bit of an update. I have the switch turning of the power to the motor before the brake engages and the brake disengaging before the motor powers back up. I just need to bolt everything up, reposition my rx pack and tidy everything up and give it a try.
Old 01-18-2007, 01:39 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tronk
I am not aware of the dragbrake option. Is it like using an ESC. I thought that with an ESC you could have reverse or breake, but not at the same time. Could anyone offer advice on the dragbrake option please.

As a bit of an update. I have the switch turning of the power to the motor before the brake engages and the brake disengaging before the motor powers back up. I just need to bolt everything up, reposition my rx pack and tidy everything up and give it a try.
The brushless motors/esc combos have programmable drag break settings. Basically if you aren't applying forward or reverse throttle the ESC applies the brakes to hold the truck.
Unholy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 02:08 PM   #11
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unholy
The brushless motors/esc combos have programmable drag break settings. Basically if you aren't applying forward or reverse throttle the ESC applies the brakes to hold the truck.
i assume thats only on brushless not burshed motors?
doctorducttape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 02:15 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

I presume that I if went with the dragbreak idea I would have to go with two ESC,s
Old 01-19-2007, 12:39 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

Well the idea of the switch and the brake works. The brake feels good and strong and the switch kicks in right on time. I am going to try it on the rocks at the weekend

I have taken a small clip of the truck scooting along the floor. Would someone kindly post it for me.
Old 01-19-2007, 01:17 PM   #14
Rock Crawler

Here Ya Go Tronk

http://s127.photobucket.com/albums/p...t=DSCF0035.flv

Last edited by Moondust1950; 01-19-2007 at 01:19 PM.
Moondust1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 01:23 PM   #15
R.I.P. Chip

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorducttape
i assume thats only on brushless not burshed motors?
Inncorrect. most brushless esc's only run brushless motors, however the new Mamba Maxx from Castle Creations will run brushed motors, and the brakes work great ;)
jason is offline   Reply With Quote