Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Superclass Crawlers > Tamiya Clod Buster

Notices

Thread: New front dig idea??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-17-2007, 03:47 AM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default New front dig idea??

I've been thinking about how to cut power to the rear motor and lock the rear tires for a front dig. Here's what I came up with. This will give you a basic idea.

One micro servo and a normally closed push button switch. Wire the push button switch on one of the wires for the rear motor. When the 3rd channel is operated, the micro servo moves an arm that pushes down on the push button switch. The normally closed switch is now open......No power to the rear motor. The servo and switch can be mounted anywhere with a self made bracket.

Now to lock the rear end.... With another micro servo mounted at the rear gearbox, when the 3rd channel is operated, the servo would push a rod into a gear (or tooth), in the gearbox and lock-it. (of-course with a little linkage and a added hole in the gearbox.)
Once the 3rd channel is released or operated back, the rear motor has power and the pin would be pulled out of the gearbox.

The two rear micro servos would be wired together, that way they will operate at the same time giving you the locked rear end and no power to the rear motor.

This set-up can be used with a 2 position 3rd channel. no need for a 3 position 3rd channel if there is no rear steer. I'd like to try this idea soon, if someone beets me to it, let me know how it goes.

If it works good, I'll remove my rear steer.

Last edited by spoder514; 01-17-2007 at 04:01 AM.
spoder514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-17-2007, 05:31 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

There is a thread somewhere in the TXT forum I think, of a chap who made a pin to insert into the gears. He has shown step by step pictures also. Have a search around and you will find it.
Tronk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 05:38 AM   #3
RCC Addict

Considering that you have to wire a clod's motors in parallel it would work fine. You would have to wire it from the esc to the front motor first and then to the rear, but that shouldn't be any problem.

As far as the lock out, the only thing I wouldn't do is push the pin into the gears' teeth. That can lead to tooth damage. Instead, I would drill small holes into the sides of a gear in the middle, and push the pin in there.
Nicklepimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 08:54 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Didn't someone do this with a servo locking the armature on the motor??

Yep here it is Front Dig
Kamikaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 09:18 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

I wouldn't be jamming any rod into the gear teeth to stop them. The teeth on Clod gears are not very big and would strip real easy when trying that.
run2jeepn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 09:22 AM   #6
Quarry Creeper

What about this. I love the search button.

D.U.D. Rear Dig "Write up"

jeepster26104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 11:31 AM   #7
Rock Stacker

Yea, some holes in one of the gears sounds like the way to go. I'm pretty sure this can be done with one servo, instead of two.

I guess I didn't search around enough. Someone already had the idea...Sorry for the "new" old idea.
spoder514 is offline   Reply With Quote