Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Superclass Crawlers > Tamiya Clod Buster

Notices

Thread: Getting started with a Clod

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-24-2016, 09:43 PM   #1

Default Getting started with a Clod

So my buddy bought a scx10 and now it has me looking to get into the rock crawling game. I have a bone stock clodbuster that hasn't ran in 10+years. My question is what mods are required to make the clodbuster a crawler? I'm on a budget so I don't want go too crazy with this project. Or am I way out of line making mods to my classic minty Clod?

Thanks,
Stu
bigstuscustomz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-24-2016, 10:19 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Getting started with a Clod

there are 2 "FAQ" threads at the top of this clod forum that deal with your question.

having said that, building a clod crawler isn't going to end up anything like your buddy's scx10. You'll be building an MOA crawler while his is shaft-driven. If you're okay with running totally different rigs, go for it.

imo, you'll probably end up spending just as much money making the clod a crawler as you will buying an scx.
makya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 10:27 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by makya View Post
there are 2 "FAQ" threads at the top of this clod forum that deal with your question.

having said that, building a clod crawler isn't going to end up anything like your buddy's scx10. You'll be building an MOA crawler while his is shaft-driven. If you're okay with running totally different rigs, go for it.

imo, you'll probably end up spending just as much money making the clod a crawler as you will buying an scx.
Ok thanks for the reply! I've been reading through those threads, I'm sure you're right about it costing just as much. I guess I was just having flashbacks of drooling over clod mods and curious as to what was still available.
bigstuscustomz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 08:17 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

I love my clod Its a total different animal compared to my wraith and shafties its just differant I extended the wheel base to the same as the wraith and added the left over wraith upper links and upgraded my wheels and shocks and relocated the steering servo to the axles even with metal gears new axle housings and new chassis and new stock links and new motors and 2 ESC I've got less than 200 in to it a scx10 used cost more than that but even after the clod is were you want it you will still want the scx10 so your gona end up spending the money anyway lol OK maybe not
ferp420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 11:10 AM   #5
Pebble Pounder

The great part about making a clod crawler is the buget is really flexible. I have one with all stock axles, glued diff, ax10 chassis and some rc4wd 55 turn motors. I think I spent less the 75. Is it perfect? No. But the clod sees more action then my scx10. There's just something about thoses clods
1375 is offline   Reply With Quote

Getting started with a Clod - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Want to get started New Newbie General 6 02-09-2016 04:21 PM
Started my Clod based 2.2 scaler. Gi-Joe style. chino General Crawlers 0 05-10-2008 06:26 AM
Where and how to get started? steve2690 Newbie General 2 03-21-2006 01:04 AM
First post...started a tuber/clod build today Arya Ebrahimi Tamiya Clod Buster 14 12-14-2005 07:37 AM