RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Tamiya Clod Buster (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/tamiya-clod-buster/)
-   -   6x6 Clod build (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/tamiya-clod-buster/608836-6x6-clod-build.html)

SlagMan 05-20-2019 01:19 PM

6x6 Clod build

Hello all
I recently bought a 6x6 clod off of eBay. It’s in relatively good shape but has a single xl5 esc powering all three motors.

Is there a esc out there that will handle three motors wired properly? Or should I run 3 separate escs?

I plan on staying brushed for now to keep costs down as I have a plethora of brushed motors for my crawlers.

If I use a single esc how do I properly wire the motors? I have to reverse the rear two right?

If I use 3 esc can I use 3 y harnesses to the receiver? Tying them all together for a single throttle signal.

Also can I splice the power wires for each esc together to run off a single battery or will it cause draw problems?

Any help clearing this up will be greatly appreciated.

I know this is probably simple wiring to mist on here but I start getting my wires crossed when thinking about it. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chumley54 05-20-2019 06:31 PM

Re: 6x6 Clod build

I'd use 3 secs. Don't reverse the esc, as braking functions and such need to be the same. Just wire the front motor reverse of the rears. Even on a 2 motor, both secs the same rear motor wired reverse. Even brushless can change motor wiring that way.

Sent from my SM-T830 using Tapatalk

SlagMan 05-21-2019 04:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chumley54 (Post 5936298)
I'd use 3 secs. Don't reverse the esc, as braking functions and such need to be the same. Just wire the front motor reverse of the rears. Even on a 2 motor, both secs the same rear motor wired reverse. Even brushless can change motor wiring that way.

Sent from my SM-T830 using Tapatalk

Ok. Thanks. Would hobbywing 1060 or 1080 escs be good enough?

Chumley54 05-21-2019 09:30 AM

I am no expert, but 3 of my 5 vehicles have Hobbywing ESCs. They are waterproof, work well for me. I don't race, I am a basher and hobbyist, so your mileage may vary. My clod has the Hobbywing dual motor ESC on it (880), works great, use it with 3S battery for a while. Went back to 2S as the drive train takes a beating with the heavy truck and a high powered battery. Wore my pinions out very fast. Running stock motors.

Also converted my Clod to 2 steering servos to use with my Hacked GT3B controller. Can do crab, 2WS and 4WS at a flick of the switch.

Been looking for a cheap used clod to do a 6 wheel or 8 wheel conversion.

Good luck on your build.

SlagMan 05-21-2019 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chumley54 (Post 5936470)
I am no expert, but 3 of my 5 vehicles have Hobbywing ESCs. They are waterproof, work well for me. I don't race, I am a basher and hobbyist, so your mileage may vary. My clod has the Hobbywing dual motor ESC on it (880), works great, use it with 3S battery for a while. Went back to 2S as the drive train takes a beating with the heavy truck and a high powered battery. Wore my pinions out very fast. Running stock motors.

Also converted my Clod to 2 steering servos to use with my Hacked GT3B controller. Can do crab, 2WS and 4WS at a flick of the switch.

Been looking for a cheap used clod to do a 6 wheel or 8 wheel conversion.

Good luck on your build.

Great! I use hobbywings on all of my crawlers, one is the 880. I really like them but this is my first experience with a clod other than the commercials from my childhood.
Will definitely stick to a 2s. I just want to play around, not looking for a speed demon.

Thank you for all of your help!