Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Superclass Crawlers > Tamiya Clod Buster

Notices

Thread: OG Clod Buster dilemma

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-23-2020, 01:27 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default OG Clod Buster dilemma

I have my old Clod Buster with an aluminum cantalever chasis- 4 wheel steering and an old airtronics radio/receiver set up. It runs FAST but will hardly climb over my shoe, when it comes upon an obstacle I can hear the motors spinning, but no wheel movement. The turning radius is really bad(it was never a quick turner). What can (or should)I do to make this a better crawler. The motors run fast and the servos seem weak(?) Any ideas, suggestions or opinions greatly appreciated
oldblue2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-23-2020, 03:26 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: OG Clod Buster dilemma

Wheels are most likely spinning inside the tires. A ~200oz/in or higher servo should help.
Gula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2020, 07:00 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldblue2010 View Post
I have my old Clod Buster with an aluminum cantalever chasis- 4 wheel steering and an old airtronics radio/receiver set up. It runs FAST but will hardly climb over my shoe, when it comes upon an obstacle I can hear the motors spinning, but no wheel movement. The turning radius is really bad(it was never a quick turner). What can (or should)I do to make this a better crawler. The motors run fast and the servos seem weak(?) Any ideas, suggestions or opinions greatly appreciated
you are probably gona want to ditch that radio and reciver even a $20 special will work better but not realy needed

if you want to crawl you need locked diffs so take it apart and jb weld the differental gears solid also check for.broken and striped parts while you have the axle apart

there is a servo on axle mount and linkage set your probably gona want 2 of those or just lock out the rear and get 1 set also dig is a option to help with turning

for the motors your gona want smaller pinnions 12t should work

and check to see if your tires are glued to the rims
ferp420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2020, 07:05 PM   #4

Yeah you have to glue the tires to the wheels, but you also have to lock the diffs inside of the axles. Stock Clod Buster diffs are open.

Last edited by JatoTheRipper; 04-23-2020 at 07:15 PM.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote

OG Clod Buster dilemma - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
It's not a Clod Buster - It's the God Buster SINNER Tamiya Clod Buster 5 11-28-2006 07:08 AM
a new clod buster badtodabone Chit Chat 4 01-11-2006 06:31 AM