Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Superclass Crawlers > Tamiya Clod Buster

Notices

Thread: Report your Carnage here!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-28-2004, 06:32 PM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default Report your Carnage here!

I am renaming this thread from "I broke an inner" and changing it to our carnage thread. I want to have a thread with ALL clod related breakage, axles, gearsets, inners, outers, hubs, wheels, etc. All things associated with the clod running gear (not links, rod ends, etc)

So say what you broke, what tire size, what motors and ESC, and what you think caused it or what you could do to make it better! This way we can keep our clods in tip top non breaking condition (Not that they really do anyway!)

Ok, original post:
Tore out the pin, it looks like. Man, I thought if I didnt glue my rims I'd be saved from failures... but nope! Normally when it got bound up the rim would just slip, but not this time! Huge impact load. I was going up a 18" obstacle, got the front tires over and gassed (juiced?) it... Truck shot up in the air, and hit back down on just that one tire. (front pass side)

Damn, I have to take apart my entire gearbox to replace it!

SR5Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-30-2004, 11:05 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: I busted an inner.

So has anyone else nuked an inner? I've never seen it.. This was with plastic gears by the way... I wll NEVER buy aluminum stuff! no reason if you're bustin inners anyhow!
Old 05-31-2004, 07:29 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

Nice job there. I can't say I've seen that on a clod before. I did that on my 1/8 buggy, but never the clod. Shove a nail through there and weld or solder it in. It'll hold for a while. :o

Destroyer
Destroyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2004, 11:06 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

I've got a spare, like I said.. I just get to take my whole gearbox apart! :(

I can't see why anyone would need steel gears now! Also, the key to making clod gears last is GOOD metal ball bearings. I used those cheapie plastic ones and nuked a few sets of gears.. Not anymore!!
Old 05-31-2004, 04:51 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

I've seen a couple instances of that failure over here.
MudCow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2004, 07:50 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudCow
I've seen a couple instances of that failure over here.
Always stealing my thunder

I'm still wondering why it went instead of gears.. guess it just had it! Hope that doesnt mean the others are close behind 8O
Old 05-31-2004, 07:59 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

LOL I don't mean to steal your thunder but as you know we are running a lot of serious comp trucks over here that get used pretty hard on the rocks. There have been some pretty interesting failures.

I have had only one gear failure but more from running the gears totally dry for about 6mths. One of the teeth on the pinion gear that drives the diff gear snapped off. Could still drive but whenever under load the tooth skipped.

Another bloke over here has munched the gears in one of his clod trannys. I don't know how or why this happened.

Personally I can't see the justification in having full metal gears in a Clod tranny. The delryn ones work really well provided that they are run with full ball bearings.
Old 05-31-2004, 08:17 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
LOL I don't mean to steal your thunder but as you know we are running a lot of serious comp trucks over here that get used pretty hard on the rocks. There have been some pretty interesting failures.

I have had only one gear failure but more from running the gears totally dry for about 6mths. One of the teeth on the pinion gear that drives the diff gear snapped off. Could still drive but whenever under load the tooth skipped.

Another bloke over here has munched the gears in one of his clod trannys. I don't know how or why this happened.

Personally I can't see the justification in having full metal gears in a Clod tranny. The delryn ones work really well provided that they are run with full ball bearings.
For sure ball bearings are essential to gear life! Considering what im doing to my axles... They're holding up great!! I'd like to see anything else run this reliably

I'm wondering what the new 7" krawlers will do to my axles

EDIT FROM MUCH LATER: Krawers SUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! They have so little traction I had no inner problems and only one gear (bound up hard)
Old 05-31-2004, 08:24 PM   #9
Pebble Pounder

How have you locked your diffs? If only epoxy then you are probably gonna start chewing out the plastic hex in the side gears.

Other than that they should hold up OK.
Old 05-31-2004, 08:29 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
How have you locked your diffs? If only epoxy then you are probably gonna start chewing out the plastic hex in the side gears.

Other than that they should hold up OK.
I'm a bit trickier than that ;) I epoxied the hex-spline deals into the whole gear assembly, and got a buncha epoxy all over it, so the gear that holds the spiders, spider gears, side gears and hex deals are all one piece.. I dont see them coming out toooo easily, but time will tell right?!
Old 05-31-2004, 08:33 PM   #11
Pebble Pounder

Yeah will be interesting to see. My bet is that the hex will still chew out over time but if it works then that's proof enough!
Old 05-31-2004, 08:46 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Yeah will be interesting to see. My bet is that the hex will still chew out over time but if it works then that's proof enough!
What method do you reccomend more than the traditional epoxying them together?
Old 05-31-2004, 08:50 PM   #13
Pebble Pounder

Go here to see what I have done... (scroll down to the JK's lockers part)

http://www.mudcow.com/Page%2026.htm

If you can't fabricate alu lockers you can buy the aftermarket diff disks from www.monstertruckparts.com.au or buy a solid spool from rcguy.com
Old 06-05-2004, 04:45 PM   #14
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: I busted an everything

I am going to rename this to The carnage thread or something to the likes. This way we can keep track of what things are common to break on clods and what you can do about it.

Today SlinkySam Came over and we messed around in the back yard a bit, I guess the epoxy had enough when I heard Sam go "You're open in the front?"
No, its epoxied up like the rear
*Truck spins one front tire*

I figured I busted an inner again, which was going to amaze me, but I realized it was acting like an open diff again! Well, opened it up, the epoxy just blew into bits. I tossed some junk in the diff to lock it up somewhat, worked OK as a LSD. (Rubber bands threaded over the worm gears, thanks to Sam for the trail fix idea )

Well, I started running some packs later and now my hex deals are slipping out, pretty bad. I think what I did to glue in the hex was KEY for keeping them in. So, when you epoxy your diffs, epoxy the hex-spline adapter in there too!!
Old 06-06-2004, 09:58 AM   #15
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Report your Carnage here!

I broke a c-hub. It cracked up the middle through the hole the alxe goes through. It didn't completely break off though, so I CA'ed it back and put a ziptie around it. In reference to diff locking, I used good 'ol Goop. It's kinda elastic when dried, so it prevents wear, yet still locks the diff fine. The Goop got chewed up once, but that was because I was doing donuts on concrete.

Destroyer
Old 06-06-2004, 01:20 PM   #16
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destroyer
I broke a c-hub. It cracked up the middle through the hole the alxe goes through. It didn't completely break off though, so I CA'ed it back and put a ziptie around it. In reference to diff locking, I used good 'ol Goop. It's kinda elastic when dried, so it prevents wear, yet still locks the diff fine. The Goop got chewed up once, but that was because I was doing donuts on concrete.

Destroyer
C hub meaning the inner C off the end of the axle tube? I noticed mine broke from a loose upper brace. Its important to make sure those are tight w/ no play, I put in bigger bolts and really tightened em up.
Old 06-06-2004, 03:28 PM   #17
Rock Crawler

Yep-the part you have in your picture. The crack started in the bottom corner and ran diagonally across the part through the center hole, and stopped where the ribbing begins on the top.

Destroyer
Old 06-06-2004, 04:46 PM   #18
RCC Addict

First and only part I've broken so far

AdamF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2004, 08:22 PM   #19
RCC Addict

So nobody breaks? :?

I don't know if this counts for carnage, but It did break and kept me from crawling today. It happened when I dropped down HARD on a rock in a creek bed.

front steering linkage. rod end split in half.

and at the same time did this to the front passenger side lower link. threads got ripped out of rod end.

Now I need to find some cheap METAL rod ends. They appear to be the weakest link.
AdamF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2004, 08:31 PM   #20
Rock Stacker

me i have
chewed up diff hexes
stripped wheel nubs
bent links (going up a crazy clay hill and started rolling and hit a tree)
Stripped tons of ball ends
broken 1 tube axel
drive shafts
Inner axel (2 in one day)
austinsclod is offline   Reply With Quote