Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Superclass Crawlers > Tamiya Clod Buster

Notices

Thread: first clod build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-17-2007, 10:24 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default first clod build

I got this on the bay about 5 days ago. 197 shipped

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEWN:IT&ih=018

good deal imo as it came in really good condition but it was setup horrbily, the rear wheels would catch up to the front and the tires would come together, same thing if you held it up by the chassis. a couple adjustments to the shock link mounts and the horrible sag was gone. since ive never seen a stock clod im assuming they are stock tires on narrowed stock wheels, I can see the cut marks. stock motors with 8t pinions and rcw4d motor mounts.

here it is now. 15" wb, 14" tw, 4.125" gc
120mm shocks from run2jeepn. I scrapped my tuber 2.2 because it wasnt good for my terrain although it was decent crawling and lots of fun but a worthy sacrifice.

I took along with the shocks; moped waterproofed esc and for later use the almost new 55t integy. I used a traxxas 3 channel rx balloon waterproofed and will mod the tx later for reer steer. I am getting two 5645mg and another 55t along with tq3 rear steer kit from crawler store and maybe mamba max.

Last edited by lohocla; 03-17-2007 at 10:27 PM.
lohocla is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-21-2007, 03:23 AM   #2
I lost my vendor privileges

the shocks lay down to far. it will be real flexy. hard to control during climbs i think. just my 2 pennies. looks ok other than that.
clodstall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 02:54 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

actually I get around a healthy 70-80 degrees. when I had them higher it just wasnt working right. the shock shaft wasnt fully released so when you would pick up the rig by the chassis the front and rear axles would sag and meet in the middle because the rest of the shock would release from the body. I moved them just enough to where there was no inteference from motors or turned tires when flexing and the rig is working great.
I was wheelin in some piles I made from a fresh 14" of snow in my driveway and from what I can tell now I have to lower the cog a little but it does almost stand straight up on the rear wheels. It sits sideways really high too and has nice mix of power and speed from the stock motors with 8t pinions.
the shocks come with it were real fugly so I plan on buying a set of 70 or 80mm shocks form run2jeepn. does this size sound correct? this chassis will also go but Im doing a tuber frame for a friend and have no time to work on my own. I can actually work corect now with some proper tools I purchased from snap-on and harbor freight

Got some stuff from crawlerstore in thanks Kevin for fast a$$ shipping

HS-5645 servo, 2 sets deans plug the rear steer kit for my tq3 and a integy 55t lathe for 2 total so I have everything I need to finish.

edit: I searched for droop for some reason and I came up with the clod droop setup thread. I am new to crawlers like ive mentioned previously in other threads, so I had no idea. but now I see why my clod from fleabay was setup as such but he made TOO much droop. I didnt really realize at the time what was going on.
Now I see what you mean though clodstall. right now I have 5" fully raised and it droops to 3 3/4". I wish I knew all this before I posted some stupid $hit

Last edited by lohocla; 03-21-2007 at 03:25 PM.
Old 03-30-2007, 10:02 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

I havent done anything with this in awhile. I have been waiting on servo mounts from RC4wd, shocks form run2jeepn, and gmade ultrac I bought on classifieds here.
so here it is now with new tires, links relocated. nylon nuts eveywhere I could.
80mm shocks with 40wt oil independant rear stearing via tq3 with rear stear mod from crawlerstore which btw I can reccomend for ease of install even for a soldering n00b such as myself. I will either use this body form 1/6 nylint or design and build a custom tuber for this.

flex shot. this is high as it goes. looks about 60-65 degrees, just perfect imo

thinking of maybe this body, looks good with those tires and wheels I think

Now that the snow has finally melt here I had the chance to get my first ever crawl in and I must say it crawls alot nicer than my failed 2.2 rig ever did. I really am diggin this clod, and thanks to all the useful info here I reasearched I was able to build for once a capable crawler. I was getting up and over rocks I never thought possible, but I also see the downfalls of a droop suspension. the tires are perfect for my muddy wet terrain.
Thanks for all the help you guys provide here, without it I never would have never got into or built a crawler.

Any comments or suggestions are greatly appreciated
Old 03-30-2007, 10:10 PM   #5
RCC Addict

The body looks good...............but talk about killing your GOG!!!!
Robb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 10:16 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robb View Post
The body looks good...............but talk about killing your GOG!!!!
Thanks. I am now making body mounts, I decided to go with the body after staring for 30 minutes

what Is GOG exactly though? I know COG but not sure of GOG
Old 03-30-2007, 10:22 PM   #7
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohocla View Post
what Is GOG exactly though? I know COG but not sure of GOG
Good pull! I hand enough out, I can take it in return.
Robb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 11:57 AM   #8
Quarry Creeper

my..spacebar.broke..so..bear,wtih..me,actualy..i.s pilled.iced.tea.on.my.kb

I..was..out.wheelin..and.while..it.is..pretty.good .for..what.my.trailriding.needs
I.am.finding.that.i..haev,.trouble.getting.up...se mi.steep..rcks..and..inclines.whereas..I.can.go..d own.a..a.near.vertical.face..without.hesitation
One..reason..im.sure..is..i..have..too..much..droo p.and.the.rear.axles.walk.up.on.the.front.and.it.f alls.backwards.this..i..can..fix.by..placing..the. link..mounts.lower.
uit..im..wondering..about.battery.placement.I..see .some.mounting..on.the.front.upper.links.
what.are.the.advantages.of.this.?btw.I.do.NOT.have ..the..nylint..body.on.just.was..an.idea
Old 03-31-2007, 12:20 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

what.was.the.point.of.pasting.my.entire.post?