Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Superclass Crawlers > Tamiya Clod Buster

Notices

Thread: My Attempt at a stick type chassis...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-26-2007, 09:37 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default My Attempt at a stick type chassis...

Well, first off let me say, hats off to Kevinlongisland for thinking up this amazing chassis design, and also to Run2Jeepn for thinkin up the torsion type stick...

I wanted something I could say I designed and biult, I cant take credit for any of the design part but its alittle different from others I've seen on this site...

This is a mockup backbone the finished product as going to be a 1/2 inch 3AL-2.5V tube of Titanium, the links are 1/4 inch tubes of the same alloy. The suspension system uses a 3/32 piece of "music wire" carbon steel for the spring.

Here are some pics:

Let me know what you think, Im up for some ideas on electronics and motor setups...

Later,
Jake
EagleOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-26-2007, 10:28 PM   #2
Picky Fab'r/Acetal Junky

Looks clean! Nice job...especialy since Ti is a bear to work with as far as drilling and machining.
Offroader5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 10:57 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

looks sweet, looks really clean. As for the motor i know that some use the tekin rebel 2 and a pair of 45 or 55t motors!
And the tq3 for four wheel steering!
Rc EnthuSiasTs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 11:05 PM   #4
RCC Addict

You'll want the "springs" on the same side of the backbone...they are "fighting" eachother as it's pictured. It will flex better too.

55t lathe motors, 8 tooth motor pinions, a Mamba Maxx speed control. What do you have in mind for a tire/wheel size?? If you run a Maxx sized wheel, a hitec 645 will work for now. If you go to 40 series tires/wheels plan on getting a servo as close to 200oz's, or more. I wouldn't recommend the TP995 MG's, from personal experience. A good 6cell pack in the 3000-3600mah range will do well, and depending on the servo(s) a couple receiver packs to power them will help, especially with the bigger tire/wheel combo's. Or a Voltage regulator.

Looks to be atleast a 16" WB...or are my eyes deceiving me?

Here's mine:
Starting my build

GOOD LUCK,

ShorTy
DeaDShorT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 11:11 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Never had an issue w/ the Towper Pro MG995 while running Moab Xl's on the Corporal?
dezfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 11:20 PM   #6
RCC Addict

I know, guess I wasn't as lucky. I'm on the last of the three I bought when Double J had his sale...and it's not happy at all:-(. Live and learn, they were great for the 1st 3-4 battery packs...not in a row. The Moped is still awesome though, but I wanted the drag brake of the MM. The Moped will see action in the SW2 Stealth COURIER.
Old 03-26-2007, 11:28 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

Hey guys, thanks for the replys so fast, lol, Im planning on getting some JR 8711 (403 oz/in) Cause I am gonna run Moab XL's Prob. a Mamba Max and 65 turn motors... sound good?

Quote:
You'll want the "springs" on the same side of the backbone...they are "fighting" eachother as it's pictured. It will flex better too.
I actually did that at first, but it wasn't stiff enough... it gets good flex now... thanks

Later,
Jake
Old 03-26-2007, 11:46 PM   #8
RCC Addict

Sounds like a killer combo, definately get the receiver packs or a voltage regulator for those servos...they tend to be power hungry and can hamper the power delivery to the motors. I run receiver packs on Y-harnesses to my Servos, made a world of difference @ the Bunny Bash @ FinishLine RC.
Old 03-27-2007, 08:17 AM   #9
Pebble Pounder

Cool, Yes its a 16 inch WB (I missed that earlier, sorry). I havn't 100% decided if I want to go with the new 8711 from JR (403 oz/in) or some Robot servos (413ish on 7.4) I can easily run a Lipo for a reciever pack...

I hope to go with my buddy at the end of the week and get the Titanium backbone finished up!

Later,
Jake
Old 03-27-2007, 08:29 AM   #10
I lost my vendor privileges

that thing is smooth.very clean.nice job.
clodstall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 09:14 PM   #11
Pebble Pounder

Thanks for all the kind words guys... Im trying to figure out another way of attaching the torsion bar to the axle, besides a ziptie, lol

Any Idea's?

Later,
Jake
Old 03-29-2007, 01:36 AM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleOne View Post
Thanks for all the kind words guys... Im trying to figure out another way of attaching the torsion bar to the axle, besides a ziptie, lol

Any Idea's?

Later,
Jake
How about a small U-Bolt?
run2jeepn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 08:37 AM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Quote:

Any Idea's?

Later,
Jake

Put a small bolt thru the outer most hole and drill a hole in the head of it so that the piano wire can pass thru it. Then you could use a coller on the end of the piano wire to limit the amount of flex,should be able to fine tune to your needs that way if need be.

Devlin
hotwheels000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 03:19 PM   #14
Pebble Pounder

Hmm, I didn't even think about puttin a bolt or a u-bolt, but that wont work because my links are mounted right there... it has 1/64" clearance between the ziptie and the rod end, lol

Later,
Jake
Old 03-29-2007, 05:46 PM   #15
~THE SCALE SHOP~

Quote:

Any Idea's?

Later,
Jake
if it aint broke, dont fix it.
STANG KILLA SS is offline   Reply With Quote