Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Superclass Crawlers > Tamiya Clod Buster

Notices

Thread: First Clod, torsion style.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-30-2007, 09:44 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default First Clod, torsion style.

This is my first clod. I have been collecting parts for quite a while and when I found out they were having comps in my area, I decided to get it together.
Here are some pics. The tire are leaving and I need to trim the body up, among other things.
What do ya think guys?

The chassis has too much flex, I think. Its something I made myself, and am thinking of using piano wire to make torsion bars, that I could change the flex by using different sizes of piano wire.

Enjoy.

Later,Randy
Attached Images

racerrandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-30-2007, 10:02 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

if that last shot is a full flex shot then that i perfect flex for a torsion..IMO..but still it looks good.
ROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 10:07 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

I think you did a pretty good job for a first itme. I dont care much for the body but whatever floats your boat is cool
and It seems to me you have the right amount of flex but I dont know squat about torsion chassis.
lohocla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 11:01 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Whats the backbone made from? Looks like a track of some sort. I'd be easy on the chassis. It looks on the thin side. If you don't bash it to hard you may be alright. Other then that not bad over all. Need different tires.
run2jeepn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 11:14 PM   #5
Keep it real

When your backbone gives out or gets tweaked, pick one up from Run2, you won't be disappointed.
Tanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 12:38 AM   #6
Rock Crawler

looks good hope you locked the diffs and cut off the steering stops
andrewmp6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 04:25 AM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Thanks guys. I have giant tracs, they were drying when I shot the pics. I just finshed it last night, and am going to a comp this morning. It hasn't even been on the rocks yet.

The axles are locked, the stops are trimmed and the body was free. The axles were given to me, and have traded for other stuff. I only have about a 100 bucks in it, including the motors.

Give me time, I am sure I will have an obscene amount of money in it before its done.

Later,Randy
Old 03-31-2007, 04:32 AM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by run2jeepn View Post
Whats the backbone made from? Looks like a track of some sort. I'd be easy on the chassis. It looks on the thin side. If you don't bash it to hard you may be alright. Other then that not bad over all. Need different tires.
The chassis is made from an aluminum channel that is used in comercial glazing. I work for a glass company, so there is always tons of aluminum around. It has waay too much flex, and it will be changed.

I did have an idea of using piano wire, and making a torsion bar, that attached it each end of the chassis. By using different size wire, a person could adjust the amount of flex. Maybe something to play with, we'll see.

Later,Randy
Old 04-02-2007, 10:37 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Well, the comp went pretty good. It was really set up for 2.2s, so the obsticles were a little easier for my super, but the gates were only 16" wide and my clod is 15".
I really had a lot of fun, but I think I will build a 2.2 clod instead. I really like the scale looks and it being more of a challenge.

I need some help though. I already have some mashers, and am working on a narrow wheel that will put the clod at just barely over 11" wide. The cover the knuckles pretty well.

Should I run airsoft bb's or cut foam? I have done some searching and reading but some of the posts are old and I really need to know the latest setup.

Thanks,Randy

Here are some pics of the comp.
Attached Images

Old 04-02-2007, 10:40 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Looks cool. Someday I'll make the trip from Springfield to one of your Comps...
run2jeepn is offline   Reply With Quote