Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Superclass Crawlers > Tamiya Clod Buster

Notices

Thread: ESP Clodzilla IV Rebuild

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-05-2007, 11:15 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default ESP Clodzilla IV Rebuild

After building and running my new clod crawler a few batteries, I realized it was not quite the crawler I wanted it to be. I admit that I jumped the gun when I bought this kit cause I was new to crawling at the time.
I was disapointed when I opened the kit and saw that the quality was not even close to the other kits I've seen here on RCCrawler. I guess that is why I really don't see any other clodzilla kits crawling around here.
For example: The holes for the screws don't line up on a few parts or where not even drilled out.........Come on guys I not asking you to go that extra mile, just give me my $299 worth of quality.

Also to say that the hardware that came with this kit was crap would be an understatement. I stripped many screws with little effort. Some of the nuts where not threaded?
1) Ok so first off I want to replace all of the hardware on this crawler so it doesnot rattle apart any more.
2) I was thinking about getting rid of the cantilever suspention and hooking up the shocks to the links.
3) Replace the 550 motors with some Integy lathe motors.
4) A better steering mount system.Maybe this one http://thecrawlerstore.com/images/tc...t/DSCN8301.JPG

Last edited by Clodzilla; 04-05-2007 at 11:32 PM.
Clodzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-05-2007, 11:36 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Looking at that chassis you can do alot with it. First I would get rid of the bottom half. Mount you links in the side plates and make a good skid plate. 2nd I would flip the Catlv. up and use those as shock mounts. Set you shocks up for Droop. Have the bottom link almost level with the ground. This will lower the whole chassis down. You will need to drill more holes and other things but it would help that chassis out alot. That or sell the chassis and buy a better one.
Attached Images

run2jeepn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 03:50 PM   #3
Rock Stacker

Thanks run2jeepn for the ideas. I think your right about the last bit of advise..sell it and buy a better one lol.
I had an idea while lookin at other kits on the crawlerstore. I thought if I were to use clamps to mount the links from the cantilever triangles, then that would free up space for the new mounts for the servos.
I found these 1/4 clamps at the hardware store for .15cents each, if this works out then Ill buy the metal ones on the crawler store. I think Ill try it out and see how this goes.

Last edited by Clodzilla; 04-08-2007 at 09:53 PM.
Old 04-08-2007, 09:52 PM   #4
Rock Stacker

I made a servo mount out of aluminium for the rear stear and finished up hooking the cantilever to the links. I'm going to do the same with the front end.
Next I'm ordering a couple 55t lathe motors and ditching my 550 titans.

Old 04-10-2007, 11:24 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Hello, bear with me as this is my first post. I have gotten help from others posts and feel like I could help with your project. I converted my Clodzilla IV like you want to and it came out pretty good. I reused to stock links just changing the attachment points at both ends so I could convert back to a basher later if I wanted. I attached the shocks directly to the lower links. The wheelbase came out at about 15.5 inches if I recall correctly. I will try to post a picture for you after I figure out how to do that.
Jeeper Creeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 08:10 PM   #6
Rock Stacker

Hey, Welcome to RcCrawler! Im glad to meet someone else who has a clodzilla IV here. Your right, it works much more smoothly now. I ordered some Integy 55t motors and they should be here tomarrow so I will be working on the truck again!
As for a body...I picked up a nice hard jeep rubi body off of a new bright.Ill post some pick tomarrow.

*If you want to post pictures...go to http://www.photobucket.com and create a free account. It is pretty easy. I think you can just copy the IMG code of the picture on your photobucket account and paste it in your post.

Last edited by Clodzilla; 04-12-2007 at 08:15 PM.
Old 04-12-2007, 10:10 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Hey Clodzilla, I appreciate the welcome. OK, here goes with the pics:

Keepin my fingers crossed.
Old 04-12-2007, 10:29 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Looks like it worked. Yeah, I know the body mounts look goofy. I still need to decide on the body height before I cut the mounts. I don't really want to hack up the bigfoot body too much. I may end up using another basher body. Hope the pictures help.

It's kinda primitive compared to some of my others, but it was a fun learning experience. It led the way to my gecko 2, stick, nn, and claw. Not to mention about 4 TLTs. Did I mention I'm addicted to these darn things. Actually, I told the wife I need to thin the herd some but not sure which ones to get rid of. I enjoy the TLTs the most because they are more of a challenge on my rockpile. I have hauled many tons of rock in my pickup and have an awesome rockpile in my sideyard. It's a great way to relax after work and alot cheaper than taking out the ole CJ.

Good luck with the project!
Old 04-16-2007, 02:53 PM   #9
Rock Stacker

Thanks for the pics, I think I want to do the top-link mod to mine. After I saw it on yours I think Im going to do it
First off, I need to fix one issue before I move on. Im getting some tire rub when my clod flexes. I think some wheel wideners should fix that or atleast I hope so
I got the 55t Integy Lathes and a much better servo mounts from the crawlerstore. Also the clod is now set up for rear stear by using the three way switch mod by roktoy http://www.rccrawler.com/mx3.htm
I would have got more done but the rain here in Ny this weekend kept me from 2pm till 5:30am pumping out my basement.

Old 04-16-2007, 04:56 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

I get no rubbing on mine. I have stock Jugg rims and tires with no wideners which are pretty close to your size. If you change the link attachment points like I did you will increase your wheelbase about 1.5 inches which will help also.
Old 06-01-2008, 03:04 AM   #11
Quarry Creeper

is this truck still kicking around???? If so it's exactly how I want to do my truck but everyone thinks I'm crazy for wanting to use upper 4-link mounts. The only difference with this one and the one I wanna do is I'm not sure if I wanna use a clodzilla II, III, or IV.
mastathug0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 07:35 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

After buying the Clodzilla IV. I would look into the Rockzilla also by ESP. I couldn't find anything on it on there website. But my supplier has this add.http://www.rcslot.com/pc-radio-contr...rs/ESP500.html

But like originally states ESP's quality is little to be disired as I have a Clodzilla IV. Fir anyone who has the IV here is a good website to visit. http://kope.com/clod/clodzilla4.html
I don't know any of this will help
Gozer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 05:26 AM   #13
Quarry Creeper

I had a clodzilla 4 for years and it was beat pretty hard. The chassis was so tweaked it need to be replace. So after much searching and on a budget get a Pimp Cane. This thing is unbelivable! The best parts are:
No Links.
No Shocks.
Tons of ground clearance!
xzk7nr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 06:08 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

You do know that ESP chassis have a lifetime warranty?
Gozer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 05:37 AM   #15
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gozer View Post
You do know that ESP chassis have a lifetime warranty?
I dont know what ESP's acutal warrenty is but if its like everyone elses it doenst cover abuse. Just maunufacter defects
xzk7nr is offline   Reply With Quote