RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Tamiya Clod Buster (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/tamiya-clod-buster/)
-   -   best wheel adapter? (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/tamiya-clod-buster/67618-best-wheel-adapter.html)

twisted77 04-08-2007 10:07 PM

best wheel adapter?

I have done some searching but I want some vets oppinions> what is that strongest and best overall wheel adapter/widener for clod to maxx I am wanting to go 1in wider or so on each side. Or dont I? you tell me. my bottom links are mounted near the axle stay and with stock clod tires they rub like a b****. I am buying zombies and som sort of maxx rim. (suggestions)

Bryce

run2jeepn 04-08-2007 10:29 PM

CPE or RC4WD...Are what I'd choose. They are made of Alumn and very strong. I believe CPE are a little cheaper.

Mnster 04-08-2007 10:46 PM

I've had 3 different wheel adaptors on my clod so I can give you a short review.

Ace adaptors, Great quality machined hex adaptors priced fair with the competition. Never had a problem with hexes stripping fit tight in the wheels the way they should.

Disadvantage was the the wheel barrel nuts are poorly made. Made from mild steel they rusted bad on my truck and the nut sholder was very small causing the washers to bend and the wheel to fall off a lot even with lock tite. I tighten them up really tight and stripped the threads. Using a 1/4 wrench to tighten the wheel was bad as most crawler people don't carry one in there box at crawler meet's.

TTR wheel adaptors, Barrel nuts were way better.

Disadvantage was that the hex part was molded from fiber reinforced plastic. The wheel adaptors would hold up for a while but after several forward reverses over the period of a year they started to become sloppy and strip. JB weld helped take up the play for a while. But, if a wheel nut comes loose or too much motor torque was applied the wheel side strips. TTR offers a free replacement warranty on them but you have to mail your old ones in costing you money and time. I played with them a while, then got tired of being played.

I went to the Rcguy wheel adaptors with no offset. Very low cost. Having no offset greatly helped with the steering as rocks no longer had the leverage the 3/4 wheel adaptors had to push the servo with. The fitment through comp gates was also greatly improved, allowed me to take better lines. Wear on axle components was reduced. The diff seemed to drag less. Best of all no barrel nuts or stripped hexes, lock nuts kept the tires from loosening all the time.

Disadvantage, the truck didn't seem to have the same stability when at full flex that it used to have.

If I were you I would go with the rc4wd or rcguy adaptors. With offset stablemaxx Rpm wheels.

Defender 04-08-2007 11:46 PM

If I don't want any offset how are the 6$ plastic ones from thecrawlwerstore.com?

andrewmp6 04-09-2007 01:04 AM

rc4wd has a 14mm hex wheel nut for clods now so you dont have to use adapters

Brandon M 04-09-2007 07:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Defender (Post 663512)
If I don't want any offset how are the 6$ plastic ones from thecrawlwerstore.com?

JUNK! I snapped 2 on my second run

brent239 04-09-2007 02:59 PM

how about the junfac on fleabay?? they seem simple enough and alu.

CPE MT 04-09-2007 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mariochi (Post 663677)

Great picture but those are our adapters, not New Era's. Theirs use a barrel nut and have machined flats on the outer surfaces. They (at least per their site) also require another 12-14mm adapter to fit Maxx sized wheels.

DaViolentOne 04-09-2007 10:10 PM

I use the RC Guy adapters with 0 off-set as well with Maxmizer off-set beadlocks... Great combo... Sometimes a bit too wide, but hey... Not everyone should drive on a log...

todd1803 04-09-2007 10:36 PM

I run Ace's adapters, and couldn't be happier with them, I did need to order a replacement barrel nut, but that was because I snapped an axle shaft off and the end was locktite'd in the nut. The nuts will come loose without threadlock, but my 2.2 with G-Made widners is the same way, so I think that is a common trait with all barrel nuts.

twisted77 04-09-2007 11:07 PM

Wow!!! Thanks for all the info! I think I might go with the rcguy!