Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Superclass Crawlers > Tamiya Clod Buster

Notices

Thread: A question about a Gecko 2...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-16-2007, 07:01 AM   #1

Question A question about a Gecko 2...

I might be buying a Gecko 2 from someone, and it currently has "Nova 11 Rooster (reversible) ESC w/ motors are Integy 55x1" I think he means a nova 12?

Anyways I was wondering if it would be worth switching over to the Novak brushless crawler system? and I think I might change the shocks as well...

http://www.teamnovak.com/products/br...tem/index.html

CanadaCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-16-2007, 07:21 AM   #2
RCC Addict

The Gecko 2 is a clod chassis, and you posted in the clod section, so I'll assume you're talking about a clod. The Clodbuster has 2 motors, one on each axle. With a brushless system, you can only run one motor for each ESC you have, so unless you shell out for 2 Novak brushless crawler kits, it won't work. Also, I don't think the longer brushless can will fit in between the Gecko links.
4link4eva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 07:37 AM   #3

ya I am talking about a clod gecko 2, I wasnt sure, so you couldnt even wire the to motors together then into the esc if they did fit the linkage?
Old 04-16-2007, 07:40 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4link4eva View Post
With a brushless system, you can only run one motor for each ESC you have
theres no brushless ESC that will let you run 2 motors?
im not really up with electronics, but why cant you run 2 motors off 1 ESC if they are brushless?
guess the lathes are looking better after all.
davway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 09:27 AM   #5
Rock Crawler

From what I can tell from reading, it sounds like the ESC is a Novak Rooster at the least... Very capable of handling those 55t motors very well...

I've been looking into dual brushless myself and I've even had direct contact with Novak and they told me that they can only see a dual controller system in a single box in the future of BL systems...

You can't run 2 BL motors on 1 BL ESC 'cos of motor timing and sensoring... You'd have to put the motors in precisely at the exact same position... That may work in theory and with no load, but, as soon as you put it down, one motor will load up more than the other and throw everything out of whack and from there on, I think you'd cook something, melt something, overload something or just have the whole setup just give up the ghost... That's why you need 2 controllers and motors to run BL in a Clod rig...

You can still use the 55's and get near BL performance out of them... Use an 11.1V LiPo or enuff cells to get the voltage up that high... One of the guys n my group here runs 2x55 with 11.1V LiPo and stall on his ride is nearly all but gone... In places where I'd stall out in half a second, he could roll up and slower with no stall in the rear motor whatsoever... That's what I'm gonna try, too.... I have a nice fancy 11.1V LiPo pack here for that purpose...

Keep the Rooster and 55's... You'll be a lot happier and have a happier wallet as well as g/f or wife in the end as well...

The Gecko II is a very capable chassis... I know.. I run one myself... FOr the shocks, get some MAXX shocks with the red coils on them... They work awesome... If you wanna run oil in them, I can't help ya for weight as I run mine dry for suspension speed...
DaViolentOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 09:33 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaViolentOne View Post
The Gecko II is a very capable chassis... I know.. I run one myself... FOr the shocks, get some MAXX shocks with the red coils on them... They work awesome... If you wanna run oil in them, I can't help ya for weight as I run mine dry for suspension speed...
So you dont bottom out to badly causing damage?
Old 04-16-2007, 09:44 AM   #7
Rock Crawler

burshless systems use a 3 wire not a 2 the way the 3 wires work you cant do 2 motors on one speed controler. brushless is a great system just to pricey for me ill stick to my brushed motors
andrewmp6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 08:18 AM   #8
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadaCrawler View Post
Oh.. I bottom out a fair bit.. You're gonna scrape bottom regardless... But no damage... Just scratches and scrapes in the aluminum... Typical rock rash... It does'nt bottom out like slamming it down... The lowest point of the chassis won't hit ground if I push right down and drop the shocks to nothing... But it'll scrape along rocks and such all the time... I even run lower profile tires than most do on Clods, so I'm pretty low already... The biggest issue I have with it is the stock motors are too long to put my links on the upper half of the axle C...

No oil in the shocks it performs like one with oil in them.. Just a whole lot faster... I can still have a wheel stay up as long as I'm on the trigger, but, as soon as I let go, that up wheel drops... Fast and with authority now...

It's all personal preference I think.. I started with dry shocks and never tried oil... I may, I may not... I donno yet... But for now, I'm quite pleased with a no oil rig... 'Least I don't hafta worry about cleanup when I pop a top off a shock...;)
DaViolentOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 12:05 PM   #9
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadaCrawler View Post
In case you are confused, crawlers are meant to go s-l-o-w, they won't be taking jumps and bottoming out causing real damage. Scraping parts is normal in this hobby/sport.
PaloAltoK5 is offline   Reply With Quote