Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Superclass Crawlers > Tamiya Clod Buster

Notices

Thread: JK Rubiclod

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-25-2007, 04:53 PM   #1
RCC Addict

Default JK Rubiclod

Hey guys,
I had this idea to build up a new Jeep Wrangler JK. I've build up a gladiator and just loved the look of the new fenders and bumper setup that it uses (and this is coming from someone who hated the way they looked when the jk was first introduced). As some of you know, the Gladiator body incorporates some of the JK styles so i wanted to build up another large scale 1:6 but this time it being a JK. When i ordered this body, i thought 2.2 swamp dawgs would fit but when the package containing the jeep arrived on my doorstep, it was totally obvious that the 2.2's will NOT look right. The box was HUGE so i knew the body was HUGE as well. Luckily i had a set of nylint tires/wheels laying around and decided to use them for now since they are better suited for this body. I will get All-T's later on.

This is how it looks at the mock-up stage.

I'm trying to keep the body as low as possible with maybe an inch of uptravel in the suspension and a ton of downtravel. The uptravel/downtravel ratio will be 25%/75% which should keep it pretty stable. The wheelbase is 16.5". This is what my drivetrain consists of:

clod axles
evx esc
integy lathe 55t
8t pinion
towerpro 995 servo

What you guys think? Will the 55t motors handle the extra weight of this large vehicle? The axles feel a tad bit heavy with the nylint tires.
muddeprived is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-25-2007, 05:42 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Nice! Looks great, cant wait for some updates.
west virginia krawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 08:06 PM   #3
Official Scale Nazi

What company makes these and how many dollars?
pigeonfarmboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 08:35 PM   #4
RCC Addict

It's a Jeep Licensed Product. There's not brand or company on the box but on the manual it appears to be made by Planet Toys (www.planettoys.com). It might be discontinued because i cannot find it on their website. I got this off ebay for $48 or so...i can't remember. I actually didn't even pay attention to the price. I was looking for a 1:6 JK rubi and as soon as i saw this one, i bought it now immediately. The body is about the same size as the nylint 1:6 but not as wide. It's also highly detailed as well and looks much better than the nylint.

I'm gonna work on the frame tomorrow. I have a custom scale frame that i purchased from a user on this board but it appears to be too narrow for this setup so i am going to use angled aluminum and make two flat frames across the bottom and go from there.
Old 04-26-2007, 06:31 PM   #5
RCC Addict

Session 2:

Worked on the frame most of the day and also got the front 4-link mocked up and bolted on. Flex seems to match those long arm kits on 1:1 so it's all good . I don't want it to have the flex of comp rigs cuz that'll take away from the scale behavior. I realized i had alot of space between the frame and body so i decided to build some adjustability in the shocks. I built a shock tower that's about 3.5" high and drilled every 1/4" so i can raise or lower the shock height, hence raising and lowering the overall stance. This'll come in handy when i decide which terrain i'm gonna conquer. Shocks are gonna be mounted either on a bracket that's bolted to the upper knuckle bolt or hooked up onto the lower control arm (more likely the control arm). They will be set vertical, not angled.

Adjustable shock tower for Savage shocks:

New stance with frame:

Side view with frame:

Frame:

I'm gonna use some aluminum sheetmetal and fab up a nice smooth skid plate for the "transfer case skid" and the battery will be mounted onto that. I noticed the interior had a 2"x7" cargo space behind the seat, like the 1:1 JK's.

I figured i'd fab up a small tonneau cover for that space and mount the esc and transmitter back there, sealed from the elements (mud/water).

Tomorrow's another day

And that spare's gotta go!

Last edited by muddeprived; 04-26-2007 at 06:40 PM.
Old 04-30-2007, 09:43 PM   #6
RCC Addict

Default Session 3: Frame toss

Had to toss the original frame because.....it..just...wouldn't...work. Started a new one from scratch using the undercarriage as a base for my measurements. As you can see, i was unable to keep the front and rear shock towers even in length due to the rear of the body being lower than the front. In order to get it close enough, i had to bust through the rear seats to get a little higher. The tonneu cover will hide my little holes Looks like enough room to carry my esc and transmitter in there too.

I'm gonna have to stick with bolts since i don't have access to a welder.
Old 05-01-2007, 04:46 AM   #7
Pebble Pounder

You had a great idea! I can wait to see it finish!
Brizio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 06:19 AM   #8
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brizio View Post
You had a great idea! I can wait to see it finish!
well thanks. I wasn't 100% satisfied with the frame but i guess it'll do. With limited tools, dremel, jigsaw, drill, i can only do so much. I wish i had a belt sander and welder. I could eliminate the sharp edges and also just weld the dang thing together. Welding would save some weight, but overall it's not even that heavy.

Tonight i'm gonna work on the transfer case skid, control arms, and full undercarriage skid.

If you guys got any ideas or suggestions to make things easier or better, please share.
Old 05-04-2007, 07:38 PM   #9
RCC Addict

Default session 3

I got stuck :( The past two days i've been thinking, thinking, and doing more thinking on how to go with the upper links. The rear portion of the frame is in the way so i barely am able to get the upper links triangulated so i'm ruling that out. I'm gonna try to parallel the links from the knuckles instead and run a panhard bar. Might be the easiest route to take. The lower links and shocks are mocked up and ready.

The stance (with all electronics in the body) is too high. I am running black spring savage shocks and i thought it'd give me a lower stance but it's still sky high. I was thinking of cutting the spring just a little to shorten it and lower the stance, or raise the shock up on the tower. Gotta play with it some more and figure out a solution.

Old 05-05-2007, 10:33 AM   #10
Pebble Pounder

Nice! Was also RC before? And wich made it?
Old 05-05-2007, 11:43 AM   #11
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brizio View Post
Nice! Was also RC before? And wich made it?
It's a Jeep Licensed Product. There's not brand or company on the box but on the manual it appears to be made by Planet Toys (www.planettoys.com). It might be discontinued because i cannot find it on their website.
Old 05-05-2007, 03:01 PM   #12
RCC Addict

could you measure the clearance under the diff?
Got Rocks? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 03:03 PM   #13
RCC Addict

almost 2 1/4"
Old 05-05-2007, 03:12 PM   #14
RCC Addict

thanks man...wish i could find one of those bodies
Got Rocks? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 03:15 PM   #15
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got Rocks? View Post
thanks man...wish i could find one of those bodies
Ebay is the only place you'll find them. I got my gladiator, which is made by the same company and is 4" longer, at wal-mart and this one (rubi) on ebay.

These bodies are highly detailed and.....what's the word.....LARGE!
Old 05-05-2007, 06:04 PM   #16
I lost my vendor privileges

nice build so far.
clodstall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 08:21 PM   #17
RCC Addict

Default Session 4

Suspension mock up complete.

Belly view:

Rear axle view:

I was a little stuck on the upper rear triangulation and then thought of some 1:1 applications and came up with this:

and to get an idea of just how large this rig is....here the stance with 2.2 swamp dawgs:

Last edited by muddeprived; 05-13-2007 at 09:43 AM.
Old 05-10-2007, 09:02 PM   #18
RCC Addict

Default Session 5

got the suspension down and complete. I'm satisfied with the articulation and strength of the arms. It's got that "long-arm" look.

Next is the skid plates and body mounts. Then it's taking it all apart and locktighting everything.

Last edited by muddeprived; 05-12-2007 at 05:52 AM.
Old 05-10-2007, 10:44 PM   #19
Pebble Pounder

Very Nice work!
Old 05-11-2007, 01:15 AM   #20
Rock Stacker

that is a tj. the jk is a 4 door jeep
flip3d is offline   Reply With Quote