Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Superclass Crawlers > Tamiya Clod Buster

Notices

Thread: Buy a kit or buy just a pair of axles

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-25-2007, 10:58 PM   #1

Default Buy a kit or buy just a pair of axles

A new kit would cost me 170 on Tower with free shipping. And a pair of axles would probaly cost around 145 - 150 including shippings (because I need to order parts from different vendors). So what do you think? Are other things in the kit worth another 20 bucks, or they are just a bunch of crap?

I'm looking into the kit because for extra 20 bucks I can get a truck body and some scale parts like bumpers, lights etc... for my next scale build.

What about the shocks and other parts? are they any good? I don't really care about the shocks because Ive had bunch of good shocks already.

And one quick question, how is stock servo mount look like? is it mounted on the axle or on the bumper?

Thanks

Last edited by iphong; 04-25-2007 at 11:00 PM.
iphong is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-25-2007, 11:11 PM   #2
Pebble Pounder

I don't know much yet but at $170 shipped it doesn't sound like a bad idea, especially with what clod axles are going for used these days. Like you said, this way you get a buch of extra crap to use or sell. Good luck. Hopefully someone with more experience will chime in.
tjcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 11:12 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

mine started out as a super clod buster kit only thing im still using is the axles everything else on it is useless for crawling.its ok for jumping but it still breaks your better off get the axles only and whatever chassis you like. then the steering links servos radio if not have one good speed controler.when you get the axles buy a ball bearing kit its cheap and easy to do and are alot better then the hard plastic ones that come with it. and lock the diff in it. if you want axles cheaper try ebay or for sell on here
andrewmp6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 06:51 AM   #4
RCC Addict

I would buy the kit. To me the extra $20 is worth it for the hard body. They make great trading fodder or a great scale build body, which seems to be in your plans anyways.
Prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 07:04 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

the clod grave yard (from thundertechracing) has axle kits for either $115 or $125 (cant remember which price).
thundertechracing themselves have axles kits for $140.
i have just recieved my axle kit and i have a ton of spare screws, bolts and other parts left over. always handy to have.
i only wanted the axles and the kit to me (im in Australia) just wasnt worth it for what i wanted.
having spares is always handy but if they arent going to be of any use to you, are they really worth the extra $$?
davway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 08:04 AM   #6
RCC Addict

If you want to upgrade the axles you might as well just buy the parts you want. I am building a set now and wanted the Integy al cases and metal diff locker, cvd's etc. so just puchased the parts I was going to use. If you build axles right you shouldn't really need spares ;)
clarkrw3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 08:39 AM   #7
Picky Fab'r/Acetal Junky

Buy the whole kit. The little extra $ will net you some usable hardware, pieces, and all the stuff you already said like the body, bumpers and such.

I believe the stock steering servo is either mounted in the chassis like the WK, or on top of the front bumper support bracket. If you look at a clod axle, you will see a vertical hole right on top of the housing (where the aftermarket upper link posts mount through, and the "pimp cane" mount bolt runs through)...this is the stock location of a servo saver bracket that transmits the linkage from down near the axle tube/tie rod up to the top of the axle casing to the servo.
Offroader5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 09:19 AM   #8
Rock Crawler

yeah buy the kit...its a better deal all around..like offroader5 said..
ROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 12:46 PM   #9

I think I will go for the kit.
iphong is offline   Reply With Quote