Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Superclass Crawlers > Tamiya Clod Buster

Notices

Thread: Clod won't start and run

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-01-2004, 05:55 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Clod won't start and run

I just finished putting my clod together and the thing won't work. I bought a new set of batteries, a new Super rooster, ... I am using an old Futaba controller, and and old receiver. I can't get the thing to work. IS there somethiong I have to do to it in order to make it go?

Also is ther a way to geaar these things down at all? I am guessing it will be a fast truck, but I want to crawl it.

Thanks
Dima
Flatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-01-2004, 07:13 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Clod won't start and run

well you might need to check your xtals and gearing buy 9t pinions from robinson
firstumustcrawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2004, 07:38 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flatty
I just finished putting my clod together and the thing won't work. I bought a new set of batteries, a new Super rooster, ... I am using an old Futaba controller, and and old receiver. I can't get the thing to work. IS there somethiong I have to do to it in order to make it go?

Also is ther a way to geaar these things down at all? I am guessing it will be a fast truck, but I want to crawl it.

Thanks
Dima
Dima, make sure you have full batteries in your radio, and also be sure all your plugs are in good, in the right spots, etc. My first one took me a while to figure out all my dumb mistakes! its one of those things you have to try repeatedly or watch someone else do. GOod luck!

Dave
SR5Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2004, 08:11 PM   #4
RCC Addict

Get a multimeter and start probing to see what has voltage and what doesnt. Check the battery, the motors, and the servos. Unplug the motors and see if the servos move.
AdamF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2004, 09:07 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

hey make sure everything is plugged in right and not backwards
gooba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2004, 03:44 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

What plugs? The crystals re all new.

Dima
Old 07-06-2004, 04:45 PM   #7
RCC Addict

Just because they are new, doesn't mean they aren't bad.
AdamF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2004, 05:24 PM   #8
Diggin' the new SCX10 II!

Give us more details as to what you have done already. Which slot did you plug your servo/'s into the reciever? And your ESC? Are you sure everything is compatible? JR reciever/crystals, meaning... did you mix and match equipment to build this?

What do you mean by it doesn't work? Do you have power to anything?

Help us, help you
badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2004, 07:12 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

OK, here is what I have.

I have a Clodbuster with a clobuster2 chassis
Clod axles with 2 20 turn Traxxas Stinger motors
A new super rooster ESC
A Futaba controller and Receiver. (the receiver has the numbers: FP-R102JE on it.
The controller is a magnum sport FP-T2PB
It has a Hobbico command CS-61 Servo on it.
I have 4 brand new fully charged 6 cell batteries on it.

The motors are not wired in simc. The are wired to the super rooster together. The wires off the steering servo go to The CH2 slot in the receiver. The wires from the speed controller go to the CH1 slot in the receiver. The Batt slot on the receiver is open.

When I bought the Super Rooster, it told me I had to program it. I can;t seem to figure out how toprogram the setup.

I have new crystals int he sontroller and in the receiver.

As far as whether things work. IF I wiggle and play with the wires I can get the motors to fire up for a second, and the steering to work for a second as well. But neither one is controlled by the controller.

I also have a T-maxx controller for this truck. The only problem is I don't have a receiver for it.

PLease help me out . This is starting to cost me more than Ihad anticipated at first.

Thanks
Dima
Old 07-06-2004, 08:08 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

well programing is very easy hit the button hold fullthrottle till the light blinks then hit full brake and its done
firstumustcrawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2004, 09:02 PM   #11

I think you have the ESC and servo wires backwords. Usually the 1st Steering servo (front wheel) goes into slot (channel) 1 of the reciever and the ESC goes into slot (channel) two. This does not cause any harm when you plug them in the way you did, the only thing that would happen is when you steer you motors would turn and when you pull the trottle you would steer one way or the other.

Make sure you have them plugged in correctly into the reciver, the plug has a beveled side to it and should be plugged in one way only.

Try connecting only the servo to channel 1of the receiver and disconnect your motors from the ESC. Then power on the ESC and transmitter to see if you have steering.

Try the basic and work you way up from there. Once you get the steering working (no ESC programming required) then focus on your motor wiring and ESC programming.

Like "firstmustcrawl" said, to program a Super Rooster could not be easier. Turn your transmitter on, turn on your ESC, push and hold the program button on the ESC until the light goes solid red, then pull the throttle to full acceleration position, the light should go solid green, push the throotle to full brake position, the light should blink green. You are done.
Old 07-07-2004, 08:06 AM   #12
Quarry Creeper

The rooster won't program. I have tried the way you ask, but the light strts off solid red, and then turns off. Flippin confusing. I willl stop by the local hobb store this week and ask them as well.

Thanks
Dima
Old 07-07-2004, 09:04 AM   #13

Its new right? Did you RTFM?
Old 07-07-2004, 02:22 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

RTFM???? WTF is that? The rooster is new. I want to know if the rooster is bad so that I can return it and get a new one.

DIma
Old 07-07-2004, 03:16 PM   #15

Read The F'ing Manual... If it is not working then I would take the setup down to your LHS where you got it.

So did you try anything else like test to see it the servos worked?

We have giving you plenty of trouble shooting tips for you to give us alot more answers as to what works and what does not.

Good luck, I know the problems you are having SUCK!
Old 07-07-2004, 08:58 PM   #16
Quarry Creeper

Well I got it to work in forward, but it won't go in reverse.

Get this, the problem was the crystals I bought from a LHS were AIRPLANE crystals!!!! GOt the right onese in there, and the truck works in forward now.

How do I mount the steering servo in the axle? Is there a good way to do this?

Thanks
Dima
Old 07-08-2004, 12:15 AM   #17
Pebble Pounder

One way is the mudcow way www.mudcow.com I have my 1/4 scale mounted on the axle brace...some people also put standard size on this.
Ultima is offline   Reply With Quote