Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Superclass Crawlers > Tamiya Clod Buster

Notices

Thread: round 2 (clod overhauling madhouse)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-12-2007, 09:50 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default round 2 (clod overhauling madhouse)

so, i basicly have 2 parts left from my esp clod the frame and its cantilever suspenion set up. and im trying to find motovaton to rid my self of the frame and yes....... the cantilever also, well maybe the cantilever.

any how here go's.....

my new frame configureaton. about 21" of wheel base w/ 6" of chassi to ground clearance. i figured id start out big and cut it down till i found the right wheel base.

here is what i came up with for a behind the axle steering set up. cost me about 10buks. all i had to buy was a new steering arm. i already had the 1/8" alum angle and hardwear. the steering drag link is a bit longer than iv seem most guys around here use but i like how low of an angle iv got on the drag link w/ this set up. my servo arm is 1 1/4" long, the drag link is 2 1/4" long. i am running a 3mm cone washer between the drag link and the tie rod. there is a good 3/8" between the head of the screw holding the drag link to teh servo arm and the can of my motor w/ a 9tooth pinion. i cant beleve how much better my clod truns now. very tight and nice. no more slopy bs. i dont notice any flex right nwo of my servo mount but im watching it closely. if need be i will build a 3rd leg to kill any flex.

i know its a bit long as hell but hay, i think w/ some 1" maybe 1 1/4" spacers behind my rims and it will be failry fun out on the rocks.

i need to extend my servo's plugs and also rewire the motors now. i picked up some 1/4" collerd fittings with set screws that i plan to trun into link mounts for my suspenion.

im thnking a nice tube frame would help set this long beast up right, a body just dosnt look right on top of this heap of parts ahahah

thanks for all the help/info around on the froums guys.
carzlutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-14-2007, 04:24 PM   #2
Pebble Pounder

holy smokes!....... fun fun....... got busy w/ the mig welder and made some shock mounts for the links. and finished up geting the frame and such..... now to wire everything up so i can test run it.

iv got about 175deg of axle flex. a bit over kill?.........

Old 11-14-2007, 07:20 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

175 degrees, a bit overkill?

Only about 115 degrees to much!

Why such an extreme W/B?
dezfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 09:20 AM   #4
Pebble Pounder

no real reason other than trying something diffrent. figure ill keep making links shorter and shorter till i find the "just right" wheel base fro my set up.

bigest probelm is that i have so many rotating/flex points in the suspenion that every thing is basicly able to self adjust its self each time the suspenion is cycled leaving my rig sitting unlevel and off ballance. im toying around w/ a few ways to posibly contorl this. i still havnt even had it out on the rocks yet just been looking/playing with it in the house trying to see if anything binds and such. i hope tonight ill have time to wire it up.
Old 11-15-2007, 11:01 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

I did this to my Clodzilla 4 some time ago. I used the stock links by just changing the mounting locations and came up with about a 16" wheelbase as I recall. It would be easy to make a 17 or even 18 incher if you wanted by making longer links.

Loose the cantilevers! Mount the shocks out farther on the chassis if you want a longer wheelbase than I had.
Jeeper Creeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 11:42 AM   #6
Pebble Pounder

nice set up, i cant bring my self jsut yet to ditch the cantilever set up. mostly cuz its fun to see all the moving parts and such, thats it really. im sure it iwll be sitting on the self soon enough. i like how this extended wheel base has really softened up the trucks abilty to flex w/ the same springs iv had the whole time. im sure its so long now i will get hung up on stuff way to easy but it will be fun trying to get loose ahaha....
Old 11-15-2007, 12:22 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

It's fun to experiment with them to see what works and what doesn't. I like a tighter rig that doesn't over articulate. I got rid of this one before I played around and tuned it much. I actually like to run the 2.2 class rigs more as they are more challenging on any given rockpile.
Jeeper Creeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 02:22 PM   #8
Pebble Pounder

yeah this ris is more about expreamenting then any thing. i am trying to get a idea of what works what dosnt then ill pick up a 2.2 rig and get serious about crawling w/ style. right now its more about crawling w/ a odd smile.

aww sweet lill 2.2's..... why arnt u free ahahah.......
Old 11-16-2007, 10:56 PM   #9
Pebble Pounder

ok well its fun and not at the same time so something had to cahnge.......... probelm was i could literly roll over while simply climing up a incline or while seting up for a ledge or soemtihing. lame. so........... off went the cantilever set up, the shocks were mounted out board a tad and it works a lot better. only bad thing is.............

i broke both my servo's at just about the same time.......... well 1st one broke while i was trying to trun around in a tight area and i cliped somethign w/ the tire re****ing in a sharp "snap" sound .......... restulting in the servo freaking out over and over.......... then i decided to see if i could finish my route w/ only rear steer wroking and....... not 2 foot from wehre the first servo broke the rear servo gave up its life for no reason....... as sad as i am i also dont realy feel bad about at the same time. so...... now i need 2 new servo's and possibly a tad of motovation to start all over on this build as im done w/ my bs set up and ready to get crackin