Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Superclass Crawlers > Tamiya Clod Buster

Notices

Thread: JPS chassis to crawler?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-16-2007, 03:46 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default JPS chassis to crawler?

I should be getting my jps clod next week. I was wanting to know if it would make a decent crawler. I know the way it is stock that its pretty much a racer. If I remove the cants and the swaybars and repostion the links it would resemble the gecko a little.
Is there hope or should I just sell the chassis and get me something more made for crawling?
The reason I would like to keep it is that it is a nice quality chassis and if I was up to converting it back them I can. I think personally it has the potental for a crawler. What is some of you pros opnion?
a69baldone is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-16-2007, 04:19 PM   #2
Rock Stacker

Did you win that really sweet one on ebay?
CRAWL_BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 05:14 PM   #3
Rock Stacker

actually the new chassis with the long cants has a ton of articulation. if yours has the short cants you may not have that much articulation.
Troystr68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 08:36 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

No crawl boy I did not win that jps. That is a little out of my budget. I did get one thats in great shape rtr with a rooster and a set of 14 triple subzero matrix motors I know nothing about. I got it for what you can pick up a stock clod for. I dont think or should I say knows what he had.
Troy I was looking at removing the cants and all and mounting the shocks to the links and chassis. I guess I will see how it performes both ways.
And yes It has the short cants on it. I will try to post some pics of it if I can.
Old 11-18-2007, 07:52 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

I personally love the JPS chassis. I'm a big fan of cantilevered designs. It's a really nice chassis except for a couple things. JPS added the upper mounting holes, to the chassis, for the top triangulated links, but it was an after thought. Originally, the JPS chassis's were set-up and designed to run a 4 link suspension without the now popular axle center post. The chassis went through a small update, with longer cantilevers, and the new mounting holes, but the holes themselves are out pretty far from the lower link mounting points. That makes the upper suspension links quite short, so the geometery is not quite perfect. Perhaps you have an older JPS chassis that doesn't even have the upper link mounts?

The other downfall of the chassis, at least from a crawler stand point, is it's kind of top heavy and has a higher profile. Not that it's a terrible starting point, but it's not exactly cutting edge either. The basic design hasn't changed much since it was released, and that was some time before crawling really started to take off.

Awesome chassis for bashing, that would well as a crawler too, but it may give up some performance compared to others that are out there now. Still quite sharp and one of my favorites.
Espeefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 08:04 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

Thought I'd throw up some photos.

There was the original, and then there was the Pro.

The original, seen here, had lower links mounted below the chassis.

Then the updated chassis was called the Pro. The upper suspension links got new mounting holes, and the lower links went where the upper links used to be. The Pro chassis and suspension geometery would be a better crawler, but the links geometery is not quite perfect. Better then the old, however.

Espeefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 06:51 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

Thanks a lot guys. That helped. ESPEE. can you post the link to the original or first jps that came out. That looks like my chassis.
I dont care for the way the links were mounted at the bottem of the chassis. Not to good for crawling. But I was going to do some moving around with the links and cants and see what I could come up with. I cant post some pics so that wont help.
Basically thats what I wanted was a entry level crawler basher.
See how it compares to my esp clodzilla 4.
Wanted one as a crawler with locked diffs and the other as a racer basher.. You guys are great and thanks for the input.