Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Superclass Crawlers > Tamiya Clod Buster

Notices

Thread: Clod Trail Rig

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-18-2007, 04:17 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Clod Trail Rig

Hello everyone,

I thought I would share some pictures of what i've been working on lately. I usually stay pretty quiet around here. Thats mostly due to work and the fact that there is only 24 hours in a day. It seems I log on here more and more as I work more. I guess its my body's way of keeping me sane.

I have a problem. I have no rocks around here. So, I run mostly on mountain bike trails and mud. I decided to create a Clod based rig just for fun and to have something a little different. I'm unhappy with the wheel and tire combo and I'm currently looking for some beadlocks and Mud Slingers. It still needs electronics and a little tweaking. Let me know what you think.
Thanks for your time,
-Aaron-

SteepJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-19-2007, 02:21 AM   #2

I think it looks great, nice work man. Some action shots would be brilliant!
Joenz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 05:23 AM   #3
Rock Stacker

Thats awesome. I haven't given much thought to clods because they seem to be mostly supers. I didn't consider a trail Clod.
Bigfeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 10:20 AM   #4
Pebble Pounder

Looks nice. Are you in Friendswood, Tx? If so I am right across the bay near Port Arthur (but not in PA). Same problem here, no rocks, I have a roller set up to be a super but I am considering taking it down to a trail/scale rig. Nice work.
tjcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 06:15 PM   #5
Rock Stacker

Yep, Friendswood Texas. Its always nice to see more Texans on here. I appreciate all your comments guys. Action shots will come when its running!
-Aaron-
Old 11-19-2007, 06:39 PM   #6
PapaGriz Yo

Gotta love the 2.2 Clods!

2.2 Clods look much better with big tires though. I've always thought the Moabs were too narrow as well. I really like Mashers for their width on a 2.2 Clod.

These new wheels from TCS will keep your track width the same as what you have now.
Click

The Axial Rockster beadlocks will fit over the stock Clod outer knuckle (just barely though). They will make your track width a little wider than it is now but not near as much as if you used an MSD or Junfac wheel. The Added width from the Rocksters looks real good with a 5.5" tall tire but might make it too wide for a 5" tall tire, based on what I like anyway.

Hope that helps a bit. Nice rig man, reminds me of Ace's first 2.2 Clod.
Attached Images

Grizzly4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 07:31 PM   #7
Rock Stacker

Grizz,
You just made my day! Those wheels are awsome! I will definately have to pick up a set! I searched and searched for some beadlocks with negative backspacing. Thanks for the links!

I started making these chassis' just out of the blue. I realized that I never get to use my welder enough and decided to put a stop to that. I made one for my friends wheely king thats very similar to this one. The chassis is 1/2" steel tube that has been mitered and welded into shape.
(fully boxed frame!) Then, I took some 18 Ga sheet metal and fabbed a skid plate and welded it across the bottom. I weight 220 lbs and I can stand on it, no problem. That truck with the snow plow is wicked. Is that Ace's ride? I know you are one of the "big" 2.2 Clod guys, but I dont think I've seen that one as much as The Duke or some of your original clod builds.

I guess I'm gonna have to pick up a set of those wheels and some Mudslingers. That will take out a good chunk of my paycheck...

Thanks for the comments!
-Aaron-

Last edited by SteepJeep; 11-19-2007 at 07:35 PM.
Old 11-20-2007, 09:39 AM   #8
PapaGriz Yo

Yup, I've been waiting a long time for a set of wheels like that myself. They should look and work great on yours with the Slingers.

The first 2 chassis' I ever built were just like yours; 16Ga 1/2" square steel tube with an 18Ga steel skidplate across the bottom. A little bit heavy but like you said, very strong.
http://www.rccrawlermedia.com/rcc-ga...album35?page=1

Yea, Ace never posted much information about that 2.2 Clod but he is one of the 2.2 Clod OG's. He built his right after I built my original 2.2 Duke. We used to have a blast wheeling with them together. Ahhh, I miss the old days.

Post pics when you get the new wheels and tires on. It should look sweet.
Grizzly4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote