Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Superclass Crawlers > Tamiya Clod Buster

Notices

Thread: D.U.D. - noticable resistance?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-07-2007, 09:44 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default D.U.D. - noticable resistance?

Not quite Clod related, but I have a 4x4 Rustler that I would like to add dig too, just for the fun of it. Will a D.U.D. setup add any noticable difference in performance when running lower turn (15t ish) motors? If anyone has tried a D.U.D. setup with lower turn motors please let me know the results so that I don't waste my time.
HndsWthtShdws is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-07-2007, 09:46 AM   #2
RCC Addict

depends if its a cheap switch or not, but i would say you would probably would be fine.
BrandonW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 11:55 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by noob_superman View Post
depends if its a cheap switch or not, but i would say you would probably would be fine.

Switch has absolutely nothing to do with it.

Wait... I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and say you meant that a switch not rated for the higher current would effect the "performance" of the motor...

The resistance is totally based on the motor and pinion mesh.
Spin your by hand and see how much resistance there is as compared to a 55 turn. You can add some resistance by tightening the gear mesh between pinion and spur, but with a lower turn motor, that would probably be asking for heat issues.

You can wire it so that once the esc is disconnected, the motor leads are shorted to add a bit more resistance. For an example, take your motor and spin it by hand, then short the leads (no power!!!!!) and see how much the resistance changes.

I have never tried it with a lower turn motor, but if I had to guess you'll end up with very little "brake".

Last edited by Unholy; 12-07-2007 at 11:57 AM.
Unholy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 12:34 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

My bad, I meant electrical resistance. You can clearly tell the difference between Deans plugs and stock Tamiya's. I'm wondering you could tell the difference between wire and a switch rated for........? What sort of rating should I be looking at? 12v and 40a? I'm not to worried about having the axle brake when disconnected, I would just like to regain some powerslide-ability.
HndsWthtShdws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 01:18 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by HndsWthtShdws View Post
My bad, I meant electrical resistance. You can clearly tell the difference between Deans plugs and stock Tamiya's. I'm wondering you could tell the difference between wire and a switch rated for........? What sort of rating should I be looking at? 12v and 40a? I'm not to worried about having the axle brake when disconnected, I would just like to regain some powerslide-ability.

I tend to use switches rated for household AC current.
They usually are designed for higher voltages with at least 15 amps.

So far, anything I have used has worked with 40 to 50 amps at 6-12 volts.
Unholy is offline   Reply With Quote