Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Superclass Crawlers > Tamiya Clod Buster

Notices

Thread: my 1st tuber build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-18-2007, 08:37 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default my 1st tuber build

Well I've been planing this for a long time now. Time to get moving. I still need to get more parts. I'm waiting on my Moab Xl's for the axial 40 series beadlocks. I've got to narrow the wheels yet. Almost done sketching my chassis that I will be silver soldering together.

Here is the start.

These guys need another sibling
damion289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-19-2007, 10:57 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by damion289 View Post
Almost done sketching my chassis that I will be silver soldering together.
Hopefully you meant brazing, not soldering, otherwise it will be nothing other than another shelf ornament.
ecoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 11:15 AM   #3
Pebble Pounder

Well I've always made parts for my 1:1 projects out of steel with my MIG welder.I'm new to alum construction and my MIG isnt' converted to do alum welding nor do I own a TIG. I was told to silver soilder the alum but when I went to the welding supply store they sold me a alum brazing rod that has a low melting temp that I can use with the micro torch I have at home. I have an ind. size oxy/acet rig at my garage which is just a paint to build this thing in cause everything is set for big projects.
Old 12-19-2007, 11:46 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by damion289 View Post
Well I've always made parts for my 1:1 projects out of steel with my MIG welder.I'm new to alum construction and my MIG isnt' converted to do alum welding nor do I own a TIG. I was told to silver soilder the alum but when I went to the welding supply store they sold me a alum brazing rod that has a low melting temp that I can use with the micro torch I have at home. I have an ind. size oxy/acet rig at my garage which is just a paint to build this thing in cause everything is set for big projects.
Save yourself the hassle and don't go with aluminum. There's a couple of threads in the tools and procedure forum here on brazing aluminum. Pretty much the conclusions everyone comes to is either it isn't strong enough, or it's too much of a pain in the rear to bother.

If you have a micro torch, just get some brakeline and braze and flux with a high silver content. You'll be much less frustrated when it comes to building up your rig!
Old 12-19-2007, 12:11 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

The guy the welding supply said this is what I should try. It's from All-State. It's Alum Brazin Rod 3/32 along with the flux no.31 from them also. They said it's used for making alum furniture which holds my big ass from falling on the ground so since i bought the stuff already (16 bucks) I'll give it a shot and post either tonight or tomorrow the results.
Old 12-19-2007, 12:30 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

I'll definitely look forward to the results. Not saying it can't be done, it's just a pain.

As with the chair, the test for a tuber's strength seems to be if you can stand your "big ass" on it without it breaking
Old 12-19-2007, 12:58 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

I got a stainless wire brush to brush the tube. He said to brush in ONE direction only to clean the tube to get the contaminents off the tubing. He said the results should be good. I'll let you know.
Old 12-20-2007, 06:02 AM   #8
Pebble Pounder

Well I tried my "micro" torch last night and didn't get real good results. I don't know if it was the flame that didn't get really that hot to melt the brazing rods or the fact that I had them laying on a ceramic tile to protect the table they were on. I'll take the stuff to my garage tonight and use my oxy/acet cutting torch not to cut but to braze. I'll post the results later on tonight