Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Superclass Crawlers > Tamiya Clod Buster

Notices

Thread: Help with clod issue...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-2008, 01:42 PM   #1
RCC Addict

Default Help with clod issue...

...clod stall of course

My question is why does my rig have clod stall in forward but not reverse? When it comes to an obstacle, i can climb up 1/2 way and then the rear tires start slowing down and then stops. The front keep on digging. Now when i back down and then go up in reverse, all four tires are spinning like they should all the way up with no sign of clod stall. I switched the wires so it's running in reverse but forward and still have clod stall but not in reverse.....confused.

I know the 100% cure for clod stall is two esc's and that's my plan. I am running the evx esc and not sure how to hook up two escs. Do i just combine all the similar wires of both escs together and hook it up like it's running one esc? Here's my setup:

clod axles
integy 35t
10t pinions
evx esc
3700/3600 single batts
rig weight is now 18 lbs
2.2 all-t's / Narrowed MGT tires
muddeprived is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-05-2008, 06:58 PM   #2
Rock Stacker

how do you have it wired? Series? Parallel? pictures would also help. seems that 18 pounds is a bit much for a 2,2 clod, right? I just finished a tubed super that weighs less than that.
mavicracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 07:21 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Are you running under knuckle packs or more weight in the front. That would explain the not stalling in reverse.
Kamikaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 09:13 PM   #4
RCC Addict

It's wired using the evx motor wires. It's not really a 2.2, i use 2.2 all-t's on it (and sometimes 7" MGT's) but it's actually a scale 1:6 Rubicon (JK Rubiclod)

I have two 7.2v batteries under the hood to give the front end some traction since it does all the work. I switch to the other battery when one dies.

Old 01-05-2008, 10:13 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

Your rear motor is getting weak, which is common with a Clod because the rear motor ends up working harder when you are driving the truck forward, and climbing up and over obsticles. Even if you pack all the weight over the front axle, when the truck starts heading up hill, most of the weight is being transfered to the rear.

Check the brushes and com for wear on your rear motor. They will wear out faster then the front motor's. It may be as simple as throwing some new brushes in and maybe cleaning up the com a little.
Espeefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 10:23 PM   #6
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Espeefan View Post
Your rear motor is getting weak, which is common with a Clod because the rear motor ends up working harder when you are driving the truck forward, and climbing up and over obsticles. Even if you pack all the weight over the front axle, when the truck starts heading up hill, most of the weight is being transfered to the rear.

Check the brushes and com for wear on your rear motor. They will wear out faster then the front motor's. It may be as simple as throwing some new brushes in and maybe cleaning up the com a little.

I should've mentioned my motors are brand new and broken in properly. I still don't understand why clod stall doesn't occur when going in reverse? All the weight should shift to the front causing it to stall like the rear?
Old 01-05-2008, 11:31 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by muddeprived View Post
I should've mentioned my motors are brand new and broken in properly. I still don't understand why clod stall doesn't occur when going in reverse? All the weight should shift to the front causing it to stall like the rear?
That's what you would think, but what are you trying to do when you climb a wall?? You are lifting the front end, which if its heavier will be harder to do than the rear. So when the lighter rear gets up to the wall its easier to push up and on top of that your front will have more traction cause it weighs more.
Old 01-06-2008, 06:54 AM   #8
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamikaze View Post
That's what you would think, but what are you trying to do when you climb a wall?? You are lifting the front end, which if its heavier will be harder to do than the rear. So when the lighter rear gets up to the wall its easier to push up and on top of that your front will have more traction cause it weighs more.
So you think distributing the weight evenly on the rig will help?
Old 01-06-2008, 07:46 AM   #9
Rock Crawler

sounds like you need more weight shifted to the front if your concern is forward vertical motion in hopes to reduce clodstall. thou doing that will have an adverse affect on reverse vertical motion.
rcracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 08:13 AM   #10
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcracer View Post
sounds like you need more weight shifted to the front if your concern is forward vertical motion in hopes to reduce clodstall. thou doing that will have an adverse affect on reverse vertical motion.
How can i do that? i have both 7.2's under the hood above the front axle. There's no other weight to shift forward.
Old 01-06-2008, 08:50 AM   #11
I wanna be Dave

A little clod stall is not a bad thing!!!!!!!
Go to a 8 tooth pinion in the rear or a 9 tooth pinion with a 45T motor problem solved.
joesbruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 08:53 AM   #12
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by joesbruiser View Post
A little clod stall is not a bad thing!!!!!!!
Go to a 8 tooth pinion in the rear or a 9 tooth pinion with a 45T motor problem solved.
If i had extra $$ to buy ANOTHER set of motors, i would but im stuck with my 35t's and 10t pinions.

But anyways, how would you wire up two evx's?
Old 01-06-2008, 09:36 AM   #13
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by muddeprived View Post
If i had extra $$ to buy ANOTHER set of motors, i would but im stuck with my 35t's and 10t pinions.

But anyways, how would you wire up two evx's?
why would you use 2 evx's they are already set for 2 motors? whether you have 1 or 2 esc's it doesn't matter because in my experiments it didn't solve clod stall. as stated above, a little clod stall is a good thing. your best bet is to run 8t pinions and perhaps some 55T motors instead of the additional evx.
Old 01-06-2008, 11:37 AM   #14
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcracer View Post
why would you use 2 evx's they are already set for 2 motors? whether you have 1 or 2 esc's it doesn't matter because in my experiments it didn't solve clod stall. as stated above, a little clod stall is a good thing. your best bet is to run 8t pinions and perhaps some 55T motors instead of the additional evx.

Ah, but 2 esc's on 2 channels will fix it.
Old 01-06-2008, 01:22 PM   #15
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Ah, but 2 esc's on 2 channels will fix it.
true but he stated his buget and I'm thinkin a 4 channel surface and 2 esc's aren't in it.
Old 01-06-2008, 02:58 PM   #16
I wanna be Dave

It wouldn't cost that much. If it ws my truck I would quit running one battery at a time and run 14.4 volts through those lathes, that will help it out a ton, that and 6 tooth pinions.
Old 01-06-2008, 03:18 PM   #17
Rock Crawler

Quote:
It wouldn't cost that much. If it ws my truck I would quit running one battery at a time and run 14.4 volts through those lathes, that will help it out a ton, that and 6 tooth pinions.
I totally agree, 14.4 volts and that gearing will greatly reduce stall and make bashing a whole lot more interesting. that's is the direction I would take if it was my rig.
Old 01-06-2008, 03:21 PM   #18
RCC Addict

A little clod stall is a good thing for some, but not for my wheeling type. It's a basher and i do alot of hill climbs. When i can't make a hill, it's usually cuz of clod stall.

I'm trying to avoid changing the gearing any lower cuz i just came from 55t motors and 10t pinions. THat setup didn't have enough wheel speed to get me out of muddy situations but i didn't experience clod stall as much as now (but it was there sometimes). I went down to 35t motors and kept the 10t pinions and this setup has plenty of wheelspeed to sling up mud/snow/ants. As stated above, dual batteries is probably the best option i have. I saw that radio shack had a sale a couple days ago on 3600 MAH 7.2 batteries for $20 so im gonna go see if it's still on sale and grab two.
Old 01-06-2008, 03:27 PM   #19
I wanna be Dave

Have you seen my truck?? I am running 35t's with 6 tooths and a 3 cell lipo, it stays around 12.4 volts and I have plenty of wheelspeed. Although not that I hooked up with maxamps I am eagerly awaiting my new 5000mah 4 cell lipo......... I'll dig up a video of my wheelspeed for you and you can deside for yourself.
Old 01-06-2008, 03:30 PM   #20
RCC Addict

Quote:
Have you seen my truck?? I am running 35t's with 6 tooths and a 3 cell lipo, it stays around 12.4 volts and I have plenty of wheelspeed. Although not that I hooked up with maxamps I am eagerly awaiting my new 5000mah 4 cell lipo......... I'll dig up a video of my wheelspeed for you and you can deside for yourself.
Yeah i've seen yours but not in action. A video of the wheelspeed would be great.