Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Tamiya Scale Rock Crawlers > Tamiya CR-01

Notices

Thread: Newbie Questions...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-10-2008, 03:22 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Newbie Questions...

OK, so my CR-01 arrived on Thursday. I started building on Firday night, and finished by Saturday evening - Probably 10-12 hours, thanks to some really careless building of the rear diff that I had to rebuild

I opted for blue for the shell, and I've done a very amateur job on that, but I've never done one before, so nevermind. I'll have some pictures soon.

Anyway, now that I'm in a better position to ask questions, I will do so (albeit stupid ones, I am sure):

1) My rear left wheel is twitchy. It runs fine one the ground, but if I run it lifted, the other wheels run smoothly. Is this a problem with the rear diff?

2) When I accelerate, the rear left side of the chassis pushes down / front right raises up slightly. I'm assuming this is an affect of the torque through the shafts. Since I've seen the same thing in a couple of Youtubes, I am thinking it is normal. Am I right?

3) OK, this is the only one that concerns me. After some outdoor use today, the servo drifted offcentre. I was careful to line it up correctly when I was building - connected everything, turned on the radio and receiver, let the servo centre itself - and indoor use didn't upset it at all. But after only 20 minutes in the garden, the servo had drifted almost completely to the right. I just dismantled the assembly and have re-built it around the "new" centre position the servo has decided upon, but I don't want to have to do that every time I use the thing. What's wrong? It's a Hi-Tech HS-322HD (I didn't know you could get high definition servos ), running off a Viper ECO20 ESC.

4) Why does Thread Lock smell like girly lip balm? Are Tamiya pulling a fast one?

Anyway, answers to any/all of those are much appreciated. Flaming is fine too, if that's your thing.
fatwoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-10-2008, 06:27 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatwoul View Post
OK, so my CR-01 arrived on Thursday. I started building on Firday night, and finished by Saturday evening - Probably 10-12 hours, thanks to some really careless building of the rear diff that I had to rebuild

I opted for blue for the shell, and I've done a very amateur job on that, but I've never done one before, so nevermind. I'll have some pictures soon.

Anyway, now that I'm in a better position to ask questions, I will do so (albeit stupid ones, I am sure):

1) My rear left wheel is twitchy. It runs fine one the ground, but if I run it lifted, the other wheels run smoothly. Is this a problem with the rear diff?

2) When I accelerate, the rear left side of the chassis pushes down / front right raises up slightly. I'm assuming this is an affect of the torque through the shafts. Since I've seen the same thing in a couple of Youtubes, I am thinking it is normal. Am I right?

3) OK, this is the only one that concerns me. After some outdoor use today, the servo drifted offcentre. I was careful to line it up correctly when I was building - connected everything, turned on the radio and receiver, let the servo centre itself - and indoor use didn't upset it at all. But after only 20 minutes in the garden, the servo had drifted almost completely to the right. I just dismantled the assembly and have re-built it around the "new" centre position the servo has decided upon, but I don't want to have to do that every time I use the thing. What's wrong? It's a Hi-Tech HS-322HD (I didn't know you could get high definition servos ), running off a Viper ECO20 ESC.

4) Why does Thread Lock smell like girly lip balm? Are Tamiya pulling a fast one?

Anyway, answers to any/all of those are much appreciated. Flaming is fine too, if that's your thing.
1) do you have open diff. if so oen wheel will spin more 2

2)torque form the motor and shafts

3)when you say driftrd off center do you mean the servo or the horn

4)all ways unless you get the good stuf
flmudder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 06:44 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by flmudder View Post
1) do you have open diff. if so oen wheel will spin more 2

2)torque form the motor and shafts

3)when you say driftrd off center do you mean the servo or the horn

4)all ways unless you get the good stuf
Thanks for your reply, flmudder.

My diffs are locked. The wheel isn't spinning, it's...juddering. It's as if something is sticking. I'm probably going to just dismantle the diff and shove some more grease in there.

As for the servo, the servo itself has drifted from centre. The first time I connected it and let it centre, it did so, and stayed centred for a day. But today, the central position of the servo drifted by about 60 degrees within 20 minutes.It's fine again now, but I'd like to know why it happened, and whether it's going to happen again.

I'm just admiring it right now. I'm pretty amazed I didn't screw up the building.
Old 08-11-2008, 12:49 AM   #4

when you lift the rc car the universal shafts go to a dificul position so they donde turn correctly thats why they seem to be blocked or something
PabloRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 03:28 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Thanks Pablo, that answers that one.

So what about the servo? Is it duff?
Old 08-11-2008, 08:19 AM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Tamiya kits do not have horns or adaptors for hitech servos, did you use a kit part on the servo?

Swap to one of the horns that came with your servo, or if you want a strong saver Ofna gas savers work well on hitech servos.
william g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 01:01 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Thanks Will, I have to admit that I did use one of the included Tamiya horns, simply because it seemed to be a snug fit - not tight, but not loose either. I bow to your greater knowledge on this, but if it seems snug, why is it not compatible?

I'll try the HiTech one as per your advice, but I'm curious where the incompatibility lies.
Old 08-11-2008, 04:00 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

spline is wrong
I did the same thing on a tourer a while back and messed up a nice body because of it. Felt good, lasted a while then bam I was in a curb.
william g is offline   Reply With Quote