Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Tamiya Scale Rock Crawlers > Tamiya CR-01

Notices

Thread: CR-01 Sideplates

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-25-2008, 11:44 AM   #1
RCC Addict

Default CR-01 Sideplates

I am working with a mfg here on RCC for replacement sideplates for the CR-01 chassis. These would replace the plastic shock and tranny sideplates and are greatly simplified. You will not be able to use the Cant system anymore but you will gain appx 3/4" of GC over the stock CR as it will raise the tranny in the frame rails. It has not affected CoG in a large manor but it has raised it a touch. The new geometry has made a big difference in countering this though.

I have a proto version in a 1.9 Hilux I am currently building and it has opened link mounting along with GC options I did not have previously.

This thread is to gauge interest and see other CR owners want them. Post up so that they can gauge interest for producing these.

With their permission I can post pics but don't want to let the cat out of the bag as they have first dibs on making these.

Jason or Badger the mfg is a Star vendor on here and I can PM you the Mfg so I don't run afoul of the advertising rules here if there is a problem let me know.

Last edited by Difuser; 08-25-2008 at 12:13 PM.
Difuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-25-2008, 10:29 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Make it narrow, that's the biggest gripe with mine.
skid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 09:55 AM   #3
RCC Addict

With the new STRC skid the length is quite a bit shorter. As for Narrow right now it is a narrow as it can be due to the tranny. You would have to roll it up which pushes the tranny outputs up or the motor. Neither works well from my book.
Old 08-27-2008, 10:50 AM   #4

It sounds ok but without more information and images it's hard to speak up and express more interest. For me at least.
zekiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 12:31 PM   #5
RCC Addict

Yeah go for it,we need a good after market side plates.And while your at it, ,how about a scale chassis.
vipxj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 11:49 PM   #6
RCC Addict

Looks like there is not a huge amount of interest.

Sooooo that said I took a Reign k2-3L and cut the end ears off leaving the central tranny area only. You will have to line up and drill 4 holes in what's left of the Reign plates. 2 to line up with the skid and 2 to line up with the existing holes in the Tamiya frame rails. All told took me about 15Min to put it all together. I also clearanced the skid just a hair so I could get a hair more room for the ball ends.

I have talked with Brett from Reign about producing this and he was curious about interest. So if it is there PM or email him about getting some for your CR.

Old 08-29-2008, 12:53 PM   #7
RCC Addict

Looks good,and a very simple job.So are you going to use the cr01 battery and elecitrics mounting plates or something else.
vipxj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 05:52 PM   #8
Rock Stacker

Looks great.
85sfarunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 04:01 AM   #9
Rock Crawler

I really like this idea.I have had a CR-01 in the box for about 3 months now and was i thinkin' i'll build a scaler with a Hilux body on it!
The lower chassis kinda bugged me when i 1st got/saw it and i really don't wanna run the cant. lever syst. so this is perfect for me!!
The xtra clearance is a real bonus
I also own a 1980 Toy 4x4 in 1:1 so this project has been on my mind for a long time.
irok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 04:59 PM   #10
RCC Addict

VIP, so far I am not re-using the battery or elec plates. I did cut a piece of Lexan and mounted it to the top of the chassis for the Mamba Max, CC BEC and receiver. I had a winch built for it that I am not sure if it will fit on like before. Should be mounting that in the next week or 3.

I am hoping to get some time on this in the next few weeks. Between Weddings, Soccer tournaments and family crap August was a bust for any project working.

Again if there is any interest in the plates post up or PM Brett so he can gauge interest in making these.
Old 09-04-2008, 03:18 PM   #11

Default Questions.

So I look a this setup and am a little confused. If you rise the trany and the suspension links you would loose a bunch of articulation due to needing to use smaller shocks and if you did use larger shocks you would have crazy driveshaft angles. Is there any way to see the entire setup? Or is this just a idea for a scaler setup. Or am I missing something?

Thanks for the info. I am interested in seeing more.

RM

"Do not take life to seriously....You will not get out alive!"
StarOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 03:50 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

looks good... i think its more for scalers then comp rigs... I'd take one...
needs2hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 05:46 PM   #13
RCC Addict

If you search under my screen nick you can see the previous lives of this CR. It has been a test bed for options to see where Tamiya can go with it. From a pure crawler standpoint raising the Tranny does have some limitations yes. With the lower tranny there were some issues even with it being a 2.2 rig. It only had OK clearance and I had to really mess with links to make it work. That said it was a very capable 2.2 Comp rig. I never fully developed it due to a dig being very hard to install with the short driveshafts and limited room. I was able to hang with some very National capable trucks from the PNW. The lack of dig was really the limiting factor. Most of that running was with the longer wheelbase and still coil sprung but the Cant system taken off.

This is just the next life for a test hack. I read alot of this can and can't be done so I am doing this build to show what can be done.

Sorry for the long reply and hope to have some more testing in the next few weeks here to report on. I did get some light running in on the current RC4WD tires but they just cringe when they see rocks. I have a set of cut Mashers to put on the truck and plan to take it with me to a Scale meet we are having next weekend. So hopefully look for some pics and performance results the following week.
Old 10-21-2008, 05:34 PM   #14
Rock Crawler

i love this idea.
iwantoffroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 10:13 PM   #15
Rock Crawler

Love the idea of using the K2 chassis there. I am actually doing something similar on another truck of mines.
Knytemare is offline   Reply With Quote