Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Tamiya Scale Rock Crawlers > Tamiya CR-01

Notices

Thread: Adventure on the Logs

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-05-2009, 11:06 PM   #161

they look real nice. good job on descriptive photos sir!
yxan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-27-2009, 04:33 PM   #162
RCC Addict

Got a new body for the old girl.

This time painted Tamiya Copper

Everybody together
860Crawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 11:12 AM   #163
RCC Addict

Got a couple treats in the mail.

Strengthened wheel axles

The old and the new

Some Tamiya Star Beadlock Rings #54110, one pair. Just waiting for the other pair to come in.

Old 01-10-2010, 08:41 AM   #164
RCC Addict

Nothing like a light snow run to clean everything off. Although, with nights like last night I was wishing I had a little less run time. Freakin COLD! Note to self, move someplace warm.

She's only got one headlight at the moment. I blew an LED when I was soldering. Good thing the rest on the roof work.

Waiting on those second set of beadlock rings!

Last edited by 860Crawler; 01-10-2010 at 08:43 AM.
Old 01-11-2010, 04:02 AM   #165

I just spent the better part of an hour reading every page of this thread, i love it!!

And you guys are so lucky that you have dedicated crawlers over in the states with your man made crawling sites!! I really love that spring fling setup! The little signs just give it that final touch of class too!!
Teamsherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 09:21 AM   #166
RCC Addict

Thanks! That course that the Spring Fling was on is built in one of ECRC member front yard! Its a huge course, its got to cover at least 30 square feet. And yes, the details are incredible. In addition to the signs and working waterfall, there is a wood suspension bridge which has a rain feature above it to make it more challenging and slippery! The guy that built it is a good guy, his name is crawlinghulls on here. I'm thankful he lives only a 5 minute drive from my house, close place to run!

Its a bit cold to run all day now, but there are plenty of indoor places around. Supposed to be going up to wickedrcracing next weekend to run in their winter point series, if my schedule allows. I won't be running the CR-01, since its not a scale type event, I'll be running a dedicated comp crawler.
Old 01-11-2010, 03:37 PM   #167

Any chance you can post here or pm me your exact shock/suspension set up? Id like to copy it, and also if you can talk me through the "zip tie" mod?

Cheers, Alan.
Old 01-13-2010, 07:58 AM   #168
RCC Addict

I have the standard cantilever set up, but changed out the shocks for GMade Team Zero 104mm w/ 45wt. Associated oil. The springs right now are Tamiya short barrell, blue in front, yellow in back.

The ziptie for the cantilever is fairly easy. Just need the tiny zipties, at least a size that can fit through the holes in the cantilever arms.

-You just feed the ziptie through the upper arm, I think I went through the middle hole, and down through the lower arm.

-Then zip them up until its tight and you can't move the two arms independently of one another.

-Then snip off the excess.

Now any movement that the axle makes will immediately actuate the shocks. Same with the chassis, you won't get all the body shimmy and wobbly movement over rough ground because now the shocks are damping all the movement instead of the slop between the cantilever arms. I'm not sure I ever took a pic of my zipties since there are a few floating around the forum already, but I can tonight.
Old 01-13-2010, 10:44 PM   #169

Sounds good, thanks for that!!
Old 01-14-2010, 12:23 PM   #170
RCC Addict

You're welcome.

I forgot to add, I have the thin stabilizer bar up front and the medium bar in the rear
Old 02-06-2010, 05:19 PM   #171
RCC Addict

Had a cold outing today at the parking garage.

I had to manually brighten some of these because my external flash batteries were dying.

Old 02-06-2010, 08:32 PM   #172
Quarry Creeper

ah this is yours, you commented on my video, when I got my fj40 I looked at hundreds of them trying to decide how to paint it. I liked yours the most so thats why I painted it the same , I see you still have mirrors on your's I always thought theyd break off, they hold up pretty well? maybe I will put mine on

your new body looks great too
Positronic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 01:04 AM   #173
RCC Addict

Thanks! The mirrors just move around if they get hit hard enough. I put some rubber o rings behind them where they pass through the body then hold them down with the little body clips. They are made of really flexible plastic so I don't think they can break off.

Last edited by 860Crawler; 02-07-2010 at 01:09 AM.
Old 02-07-2010, 08:51 AM   #174
Quarry Creeper

cheers, I have installed the mirrors
Old 02-07-2010, 09:23 AM   #175
RCC Addict

Hopefully we'll see another video soon?
Old 02-07-2010, 09:49 AM   #176
Quarry Creeper

Yep, got some unpainted tube work on it at moment, I need to strip the truck right down to the bare chassis to braze these last bars on

I like making vids and photography though, so it wont be too long
Old 02-07-2010, 12:13 PM   #177
Quarry Creeper

as per usual nick, great pics, those barrel springs seem to be working out for you.
cydog510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 02:33 PM   #178
Quarry Creeper

Great thread. I must admit, The CR-01 is beginning to grow on me! I didn't think much of the way it looked when it first came out, but having seen all of your pictures, it looks a lot nicer.

Anyway, Just read your thread (every post) and I noticed a few pages back you mentioned that your old shock oil was a funny colour. I've had a similar experiance with shocks on an RTR model. I ran the truck (Rustler) for about 6 months, and then had to change the oil. When I poured it out into a clear container it was a kinda grey/green colour rather than clear. I can only imagine that a tiny bit of dirt gets into the oil each time the shock compresses. Anyway, it seems like you have it sorted.

Like your pics of the mashed drive line components, they made me cringe!!!

EDIT: Meant to say that your photography is fantastic! Your pics are great and I enjoyed looking through them.
eemmaaxxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 08:11 PM   #179
RCC Addict

Thanks for the compliments!

Yes, that one time the oil was green. It had to be dirt and debris. I've taken the shocks apart on 2 other occasions since then and the oil seemed to be normal color.

I need to get out more and photograph and take some video but its been so cold I just don't feel like being outside for long periods!
Old 03-21-2010, 05:08 PM   #180
RCC Addict

The ECRC Spring Fling was today and I didn't get through unscathed. My last spare stock driveshaft went all spaghetti on me. So now I'm in the market for steel ones