Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Tamiya Scale Rock Crawlers > Tamiya CR-01

Notices

Thread: Planetary trans assembly

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-15-2008, 11:50 PM   #1

Default Planetary trans assembly

I just put my gearbox together and I'm having problems figuring out why the motorplate isn't sitting flush in the gearbox. I can force the assembly together, but then the transmission is too tight to turn. I think it has something to do with the two bearings + shim combo on the sun gear. Any thoughts? I've tried pressing it all together, but it's getting a bit scary.
Mesozoic is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-16-2008, 09:18 AM   #2
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mesozoic View Post
I just put my gearbox together and I'm having problems figuring out why the motorplate isn't sitting flush in the gearbox. I can force the assembly together, but then the transmission is too tight to turn. I think it has something to do with the two bearings + shim combo on the sun gear. Any thoughts? I've tried pressing it all together, but it's getting a bit scary.

Okay , refer back to you instruction manual no.24 and look at Part "A2". That piece of black plastic is not sitting flush with your motor plate. Take apart the entire trans assembly and rotate the platic "A2" piece unitl the it sits flush with the metal plate and black plastic flange. Only then the motorplate will sit flush with the gearbox.

Good luck - "Stop forcing the parts together, you might break something"
Vtown Crawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 09:27 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

solved^.
liketocrawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 01:25 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vtown Crawl View Post
Okay , refer back to you instruction manual no.24 and look at Part "A2". That piece of black plastic is not sitting flush with your motor plate. Take apart the entire trans assembly and rotate the platic "A2" piece unitl the it sits flush with the metal plate and black plastic flange. Only then the motorplate will sit flush with the gearbox.

Good luck - "Stop forcing the parts together, you might break something"
Thanks for the suggestion. I had A2 keyed properly in the motor plate, but what I didn't realize is that A2 is supposed to be installed from one specific side of the motor plate. One side of the motor plate has a receptacle and the other side doesn't. Anyhow, it's still a tight fit. The bearings on the sun gear seem to want to be pressed onto the shaft. After assembling the whole thing, it's still got a lot of resistance to turning. And yes, it's all greased up.
Old 10-17-2008, 04:33 PM   #5

I also had a tough time (pressing) with those 2 big bearings fitting onto the plastic part. They wouldn't go on fully without feeling like something was gonna break, so I filed a tiny bit of material off the plastic ribs with an emery board and all went well from then on.
StoneCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 01:12 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoneCrawler View Post
I also had a tough time (pressing) with those 2 big bearings fitting onto the plastic part. They wouldn't go on fully without feeling like something was gonna break, so I filed a tiny bit of material off the plastic ribs with an emery board and all went well from then on.
That's a good idea.
Old 11-02-2008, 01:20 PM   #7

I have a question as I assemble mine this weekend.
Before I put the assembly together, I can turn the propeller shaft and get the sun gear to move. I add all the bushings, and with some effort get it to screw together.
But before I even engage the moter to the sun gear I attempt to turn the propellor shaft and it's to tight for the sungear to even move.
Is this the norm?
I am concerend it will just strip the sun gear or damage the moter if I attempt to power it at this stage.

I have pulled it apart back to step 22 and reassmbled, but I get the same results. I am not leaving any thing out of the steps.

Just in need of some guidance here. :(

Last edited by Fraxture; 11-02-2008 at 06:08 PM.
Fraxture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 09:48 PM   #8
Pebble Pounder

I made the mistake of forgetting about the countersunk screws. Also i think the plate only goes one way. It will not work with out those screws!!!
minicracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 03:45 AM   #9

I have those screw in it. I have been very miticoulous in following the instructions. Still pretty tight, and the sun gear does not rotate unless I take off the pressure.
Fraxture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 06:30 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraxture View Post
I have those screw in it. I have been very miticoulous in following the instructions. Still pretty tight, and the sun gear does not rotate unless I take off the pressure.
I just finished building my CR-01 yesterday. Had the same problem with the tranny binding up. I had the motor plate right, the screws right, everything. So I just swallowed hard and with the two big bearings--with shim--across an open vise, I tapped the sun gear through with a rubber mallet and...perfect. Just a couple light taps and they were bottomed out. After that it all fell together and now spins as pretty as you please.

But do make double sure you aren't missing something else. It sounds like you aren't, though.
PutAwayWet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 09:51 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

I'm having the same problem and I don't get it. I've taken apart my tranny 3 times tonight and went piece by piece and step by step. This is getting frustrating so I just put it in the box. I can get the main gear into the gearbox and it sits nicely but once you put on the sun gear and the top motor plate it just smashes it. Could my A1 piece be backwards if that's possible?
minijosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 09:55 AM   #12
Quarry Creeper

After talking nicely and kissing the tranny I used a small hammer and hit the top of the driveshaft and now it moves alot better. Not super free but I can do it with ease.
minijosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 09:48 AM   #13

On the first round of CR-01's the two big bearings were a bit too loose. Now on all the kits the fit too tight. Take some 500 grit sandpaper and go around the plastic to wear it down a bit, then press the two large bearings on. You still want them to be a very tight fit, just not so tight they don't allow the plate to be fully screwed down.

Good luck!
SullivanL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 11:06 AM   #14

It has everything to do with those 2 large bearings not fitting properly had the same problem with a little force or a little material removal they fit better and free up the trans.
davelowe is offline   Reply With Quote