Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Tamiya Scale Rock Crawlers > Tamiya CR-01

Notices

Thread: battery relocation

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-31-2008, 03:16 AM   #1

Default battery relocation

hey guys
anybody has relocated the battery on the CR01
if so can you post pictures and tell me how
thank you
rachad6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-01-2009, 10:13 AM   #2
Rock Crawler

before i drooped my rig i removed all the trays and placed my battery right behind the tranny at a 45 degree angle towards the back chassis... i dont have pics but it worked great for the cg... sorry i cant show u pics but if u mess arounds with the pack behind the tranny u might find some success like i didi hope that made a little sense lol
GEARSCIENCE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 05:07 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

this does the trick for me. I have weight in the front wheels and i think thats really important especially with the battery on the rear. The axle broke because of a fall not from the battery.
minicracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 09:12 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by rachad6 View Post
hey guys
anybody has relocated the battery on the CR01
if so can you post pictures and tell me how
thank you

Go to Junfac.com and you can get a relocation plate for $9.

kmrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 01:03 AM   #5
Rock Stacker

If I bought that relocation plate, would that only be for a smaller battery pack such as a small lipo or nimh pack? Or could I use a 6 cell stick pack? Im not sure where the stick pack would fit under the suspension like that. Reason Im asking is right now I am using an IB3800 6 cell and would like to stick with it right now.
Steve182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 11:23 AM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve182 View Post
If I bought that relocation plate, would that only be for a smaller battery pack such as a small lipo or nimh pack? Or could I use a 6 cell stick pack? Im not sure where the stick pack would fit under the suspension like that. Reason Im asking is right now I am using an IB3800 6 cell and would like to stick with it right now.
The relocation plate is compatible with both the CR-01 and the AX-10. I originally bought it for my CR-01, but I never used it, and instead use it to relocate the battery over the front servo of my Scorpion. In my opinion, the plate better suits that vehicle.

On the Scorpion, because there is no chassis hanging over the axles, you can pile things on top of them, and the only consideration is whether those things will hit the bodyshell. No big deal - either cut the shell, or raise it, or whatever. The wheels are set sufficiently far apart to accomodate a standard 7.2 stick back, parallel to the axle. So long as it is held firmly in place with velcro, etc, it never touches the wheels at all, and puts the weight directly over the front axle:

However, If you use a 7.2 pack perpendicular to the axle, as in this photo from the JunFac website:

I find that the top end of the battery rubs against the tops of the shocks, and gets knocked around during flex.

Now, on my CR-01, I have a whole bunch of chassis directly above the axles. So if you put anything on top of them, it will hit the chassis during full compression. The servo only just fits as it is. I tried removing the original plastic battery tray, and fitting the battery perpendicular as with the second photo above, but again I found that the top end of the battery rubbed against the insides of the ladder rails during full compression and flex.

I tried fitting the JunFac battery plate over the rear axle (before I fitted 4WS), and because I could put the battery lower, it was possible to use it that way. However, it rubbed the inside of the wheels moreso than on the AX-10, and having the weight of the battery at the rear isn't ideal for crawling anyway.

You could try the battery plate back at the front with a smaller battery, but personally I wouldn't want to put a LiPo in that position, with the potential for impacts from the chassis above.

So all in all, I'd recommend the plate for use with an Axial, but less so with a CR-01.
fatwoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 05:16 PM   #7
Rock Stacker

Thanks for the great info fatwoul, sounds like I'll stick with the stock location for now unless I can get my hands on a smaller pack.
Steve182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 06:58 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve182 View Post
Thanks for the great info fatwoul, sounds like I'll stick with the stock location for now unless I can get my hands on a smaller pack.
You're welcome, Steve. To be honest, I think you're wise to do so. The CR-01 in its stock form is quite top-heavy anyway, because of all that metal up top, and being quite a tall vehicle. Moving the battery doesn't seem to make as much difference as it does with a AX-10, where relocating the battery has a massive effect on the performance (it did with mine, at least).
fatwoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 09:50 PM   #9

Default why did they make this for the cr01

that battery relocation plate is totally useless for a stock cr01. what was junfac thinking
eben81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 08:38 AM   #10
vtt
Rock Stacker

i have made a modest relocation.

the battery tray was pushed one notch further and the front part of the tray pushed down a notch.

vtt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 02:54 AM   #11

Default thank you guys

thank you all
am thinking of getting a smaller battery
and shortening the original upper frame, so i can have more space, and i can remove the original battery plate
then i can install the battery on top of the front axles upper links
am still thinking about it
thank you again
rachad6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 09:03 PM   #12

Default change of heart

i just bought a junfac battery mount for my cr-01.. a while ago i was questioning why junfac even made this part for the cr-01, but now i bought one because i am adding a rctrax cr-o1 chassis conversion.. for this setup it is perfect because all of the chassis that was in the way on the stock setup is gone and now i have plenty of room for a front axle battery setup. so i totally take back what i said about the junfac front battery location cr-01 mount, its cool now, and it was cool before too.

Last edited by eben81; 01-29-2009 at 10:03 PM.
eben81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 11:16 PM   #13
Rock Crawler

hey fatwoul, can you post some more close up pics of your battery on the front axle please. I'd like to copy that set up.
James003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 01:27 AM   #14
Rock Crawler

got it figured out for now. thanks for all the advice. i bought a front servo/battery mount because i do plan to go lipo asap. for now i left the servo in the middle and i'm just putting the battery on top of the servo and using the velcro straps that come with it to secure it down. holds tight and this should be fine until i get enough money for the lipo switch....sucks the cost of the lipo chargers.....

thanks again all
James003 is offline   Reply With Quote