Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Tamiya Scale Rock Crawlers > Tamiya CR-01

Notices

Thread: A couple of new mods for my CR-01

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-10-2009, 06:27 PM   #1
RCC Addict

Default A couple of new mods for my CR-01

It's been a little while since I've done anything with my CR-01 besides drive it since I installed the Junfac heavy duty steering links. I picked up some cool parts and finally had a chance to install them.

I bought a set of the Pro-line bumpers, roof rack, light bar, and scale accesories. First I installed the roof rack, and light bar, they top off the Land Cruiser body nicely. Next, I wanted to do the front bumper, the Pro-line front bumper was just too big and it did'nt look right on the Land Cruiser, so I used the rear bumper for the front. I cut the CR-01 front bumper mounts and made a mounting bracket from angle aluminum stock.

Once I got it the size I wanted, I drilled holes to mount the Pro-line bumper to my bracket, painted it and installed the bumper.

I also installed the Jun Fac driveshafts, these are awesome, they are heavy duty and fit great!

I also installed the Jun Fac straight axle adpators. Again, heavy duty parts, well made, great fit.

I also upgraded the tires to 2.2 Mudslingers mounted on Pro-line Eight Shooters. I put 3 ounces of weight on the inside of each front wheel and two ounces on the rear wheels. That should help keep this thing on it wheels instead of on it's roof.

The next thing I'm doing is changing ou the stock silver can for the Tamiya CR-Tuned 35t motor (waiting for it to come in the mail) and I am going to lower the body a little more to get it to look a little more scale. I also plan to make a rear bumper, probably out of aluminum channel.
HDMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-11-2009, 06:17 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Actually, I think your bumper modification came out very good. And the work you did to make it fit was great.

Good job!

Carl
quickster47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 11:56 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Awesome job you did on your rig!! The JunFac shafts do look great. Look to be great quality units indeed.
Jeephead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 06:01 PM   #4
RCC Addict

The Jun Fac shafts are great, I ran the truck today with no problems. You can't beat the price for stainless steel driveshafts!!!
Old 02-16-2009, 02:23 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

You can go wrong with Junfac stuff!!

Everything I ever bought from them has been great fit and finish!!

Your CR01 looks great, I like how the rear bumper looks on the front of the FJ40

.....Tom
th67ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 04:45 PM   #6
RCC Addict

could you still use the stock rims with those straight axle adapters? great lookng rig!!
IDnewcrwlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 05:05 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

I have the same set of straight axle adapters and the OEM wheels work great. They just make the rear end look so clean. My only mod would be to have them black anodized.

Carl
quickster47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 05:25 PM   #8
RCC Addict

sweet, ima have to get me a pair!! i cant seem to get the rear measurements right and the tires have a bit of an angle to them, these look like they will eliminate that problem
IDnewcrwlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 10:45 AM   #9

The straight axle adapters make the rear axles look super beefy.
rambo282 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 05:23 AM   #10
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by quickster47 View Post
I have the same set of straight axle adapters and the OEM wheels work great. They just make the rear end look so clean. My only mod would be to have them black anodized.

Carl
You could also paint them, I used a Marine paint called Trilux, it is actually a antifouling paint, but it is made for aluminum outdrives and lower unit on outboard motors. I used that paint to paint my aluminum bumper bracket, the stuff is very durable and sticks to the aluminum better then regular paint.
Old 02-28-2009, 05:40 AM   #11
Pebble Pounder

One suggestion to make it perfect, do something to the frame. Paint it black, powder coat it, anodize it, or spray it with bedliner. Think of what a real frame on one of these trucks would look like.
tom tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 07:30 AM   #12
I wanna be Dave

nice work like the axle shafts and light bar nice looking rig
kasper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 10:21 AM   #13
Rock Stacker

awesome rig dude and nice color
rock-racer is offline   Reply With Quote