Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Tamiya Scale Rock Crawlers > Tamiya CR-01

Notices

Thread: esc/motor combo

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-11-2009, 06:07 PM   #1
RCC Addict

Default esc/motor combo

now i know there are a ton of threads on here about all the different esc/motor combos people are running, but alot of them dont really say why they are running their current setup. all i am wondering is whats a good combo for the cr01, i am going to be upgrading the wheels, tires and shocks soon and just want to make one big order if possible so i can install the parts and run it fresh with all the new goodies..... i am really just looking for something that makes it crawl better and maybe run a little longer with my current battery. however i dont have the money to go brushless. :-( info from personal experience with combos would be great, but really, any info would be greatly appreciated!! thanx
IDnewcrwlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-11-2009, 07:04 PM   #2
RCC Addict

I just fitted the Tamiya CR-Tuned 35T motor and its a great improvement over the stock motor. Torque is increased immensely as well as low speed control. The ESC i have is the Novak Rooster Crawler. Works well, the drag brake is strong as all hell, but there is no adjustment so you have to live with it just jacking your rig to a stop if your're going full bore and you happen to abruptly let off the throttle. (I try not to do that now that I'm used to its qualities)
860Crawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 07:09 PM   #3

I'm running a novak xrs speed controller because thats what i had laying around but if I had a choice i would go with the rooster crawler.

As for a motor I am running a Integy 55T motor and it works great.
Alexridesabike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 08:43 PM   #4
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 860Crawler View Post
I just fitted the Tamiya CR-Tuned 35T motor and its a great improvement over the stock motor. Torque is increased immensely as well as low speed control. The ESC i have is the Novak Rooster Crawler. Works well, the drag brake is strong as all hell, but there is no adjustment so you have to live with it just jacking your rig to a stop if your're going full bore and you happen to abruptly let off the throttle. (I try not to do that now that I'm used to its qualities)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexridesabike View Post
I'm running a novak xrs speed controller because thats what i had laying around but if I had a choice i would go with the rooster crawler.

As for a motor I am running a Integy 55T motor and it works great.
thank you both for all the info, it helps out and gives me sumthing to think about. so if i were to upgrade to something similar to either setup would it be a good idea to upgrade the tranny at all? and i would imagine that the shafts would have to be upgraded, right? and if i were to go with the tamiya cr-tuned 35T motor, or integy 55T hows the wheel speed compared to that of the stock silver can? i would like to just have 2 setups so i can change em out as i like depending on the circumstances.
Old 02-11-2009, 09:49 PM   #5
Rock Stacker

If you were to run with the 55t install a 14 or a 16 tooth pinion. It would give you decent wheel speed & good control over the rocks. It all depends what type of wheeling your gonna be doing.
dR. hOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 11:33 PM   #6
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dR. hOOK View Post
If you were to run with the 55t install a 14 or a 16 tooth pinion. It would give you decent wheel speed & good control over the rocks. It all depends what type of wheeling your gonna be doing.
thats just the thing, there are a tona rocks where i live or i could just take it out for a little drive without crawling anything too serious. and i would just like to have 2 different setups that i could swap out at any time depending on what i wanna do. the stock is ok for just dinkin around, but i want a better performing "crawler" setup........
Old 02-12-2009, 12:39 AM   #7
Rock Crawler

you might also consider the tekin fxr, its an excellent crawler esc..drag brake and other setting fully adjustable a decent bec and it will handle 11.1 volts(3s lipo) as long as you run a 35 or higher turn mtr..its nice to go 3s for the extra wheelspeed when needed..and pretty close in price, nothing wrong with the rooster crawler but the tekin is more bang for the buck, as far as mtrs i run 35,s integy v11s(quirky mtrs) and the regular machine wound 35,s , go with the cheaper machine wound mtr, they seem pretty indestructable and reliable. cheers
vonclod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 06:08 PM   #8
RCC Addict

Yeah the Tekin is definitely more adjustable. Speaking of which, the Rooster Crawler can not handle the size Lipo that the Tekin FXR can if you plan to go that route with your batteries.

BTW, the CR-Tuned motor is definitely slow at least a few mph slower at full throttle than the stock motor which only went maybe 5-6 mph at best, and thats with a stock pinion. You can still walk with it on trails and not have to wait for it to catch up to you. I had mine out on some park trails yesterday and had some fun. Acutally, I spent more time talking to a guy in the park that used to race old on-road RCs and talking about old school RC than running the rig. Dude was about to throw away his old Hornet because he thought they didn't make parts for it anymore, I talked him out of it I think.
Old 02-13-2009, 11:21 PM   #9
RCC Addict

yea at the moment i do not plan on going lipo anytime soon, i dont got near enough money to redo my rig. i wish! but i have akready sent the money for a rooster crawler for now, i can always upgrade later on down the road if need be. any idea as to how long a run times i mite get with a duratrax dtx4600 battery with a rooster esc and tamiya tuned motor? just curious..... thank you all for the info it helped alot!!
Old 02-15-2009, 10:20 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

you should get plenty of runtime with a 4600..how many turns is the tamiya mtr..with say a 55turn i would think a good hour ..i get around 20 +mins with a 1300mah lipo and a 35turn
vonclod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 10:38 PM   #11
RCC Addict

i believe the motor is a 35t.....well thats wat its called anyways, its a cr tuned 35t.....
Old 02-16-2009, 08:09 AM   #12
RCC Addict

You're going to have over an hour definitely. I get an hour to an hour and 15 minutes on average and thats with a 3000mAh battery
Old 02-16-2009, 11:38 PM   #13
RCC Addict

860crawler are you running the stock pinion or something different? if so wat are you using and why? if you dont mind letting me in on ur goodies......
Old 02-17-2009, 02:19 AM   #14
D-Wray 4 Prez!

I have a Tekin 55t ESC combo in my Axial ARTR, with a 1500 6cell split pack. The reason I got it was that my buddy had it and he was kicking my a$$ on the rocks. Plus I love drag brake.
Frankenwheely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 09:18 AM   #15
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDnewcrwlr View Post
860crawler are you running the stock pinion or something different? if so wat are you using and why? if you dont mind letting me in on ur goodies......

Its a stock 20T pinion. I'd like to try a smaller one, something like 18 or 16, but I do like walking trails or the beach with the CR-01 as well as rock crawling and the smaller pinion I'm afraid might make it even too slow to walk with. I don't know, I'll just have to try it and see. They'd be great for rock crawling though.