Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Tamiya Scale Rock Crawlers > Tamiya CR-01

Notices

Thread: Alternative transmissions to fit the CR-01 (aluminum cases???)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-11-2009, 10:20 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Alternative transmissions to fit the CR-01 (aluminum cases???)

Are there any alternate transmissions that mount up well to the CR-01 chassis/drivetrain? I was thinking something like a Traxxas 2 speed might be interesting to get both low end crawling, and higher end speed.

Any suggestions for an aluminum CR-01 transmission?
oxyjansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-12-2009, 04:27 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxyjansen View Post
Are there any alternate transmissions that mount up well to the CR-01 chassis/drivetrain? I was thinking something like a Traxxas 2 speed might be interesting to get both low end crawling, and higher end speed.

Any suggestions for an aluminum CR-01 transmission?
RC4WD's Disruptor might work nicely, with a couple of different holes drilled in the skidplate. That's a planetary too, but metal.
fatwoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 09:05 AM   #3
Pebble Pounder

Default Disruptor

Looks like a nice set up, but I'm not sure I'd want to add the transfer case.

What about the R2, or Dig trannies?

http://rc4wdstore.com/product_info.p...roducts_id=515

http://rc4wdstore.com/product_info.p...roducts_id=880
Old 02-13-2009, 11:53 AM   #4
Rock Crawler

Someone in this forum did stuff an R2 (i think it was an R2D into the stock chassis). Seach around a little bit you'll find it.
Nate08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 03:10 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

OK, I'll have a look.
Old 02-15-2009, 03:07 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

I just painstakingly priced out building a CR-01 tranny with an aluminum case, and parts from all over the place. Only thing that put a kink in the plan was a little plastic spacer from the A-parts tree that goes between 2 bearings in the Sun gear in step 24. The parts tree is $13.50 from tamiya, and no one else seems to have it. Anyway, being the thrifty shopper I am I got it to $86 wihtout shipping, and an RS tranny is only $80, and much simpler, so why even bother.

Anyone maybe have a measurement for the dreaded plastic tranny spacer??? Anything else that might work? I can't seem to find the tranny shaft sixe anywhere.

I have an offer in to an Ebay store for 2 complete trannies, so we'll see if they are willing to deal. I also just got almsot all the parts to build 4 axles super cheap! I'm trying to stay clear of the illustrious aluminum axles that are calling to me! LOL
Old 02-15-2009, 03:41 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

my drooped unimog has the r2 disco on a home made delrin skid. Works well for me...
drcooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 06:20 PM   #8
RCC Addict

The only thing between the two bearings in the transmission is a big metal washer. I don't recall anything else between them when i put mine together. There is a plastic spacer type piece after you sandwich everything into the gearbox which is about the size of the small bearing that the sun gear rides on. Is that the piece?
860Crawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 06:21 PM   #9
Pebble Pounder

What do you run for a motor + ESC?
What's you overall impression of the R2? It looks to me like RC4WD makes some really nice stuff! Can you use the stock size drive shafts, or is something longer necessary?

Actually, would you be willing to give me an idea of the thickness of the CR-01 tranny from th shaft sides of the case? Since I'm looking at possible alternative trannies I'd like to know what I might need to change as far as driveshafts etc. I'm now looking at lots of really cheap Axial trannies on Ebay, and wondering if its worth it. They use the same size output shafts, but I'm wondering if the shafts need to be longer for what looks like a thinner tranny. I suppose a lower mounting might take up some of the slack, but I have nothing built yet to go by.
Old 02-15-2009, 09:21 PM   #10
Pebble Pounder

That's the piece! Seems odd, and cheap to stick it between 2 bearings. I'm wondering if a small aluminum spacer could work too? I assume it would be 5mm ID, and however thick that spacer is, which is my issue because I don't have one!

The tranny is way too expensive to build, so I offered someone a 2 tranny deal, and we'll have to see if they bite!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 860Crawler View Post
The only thing between the two bearings in the transmission is a big metal washer. I don't recall anything else between them when i put mine together. There is a plastic spacer type piece after you sandwich everything into the gearbox which is about the size of the small bearing that the sun gear rides on. Is that the piece?
Old 02-16-2009, 12:38 PM   #11
Pebble Pounder

tamiya's driveshafts are s... And as i lengthened my wheelbase to 12in i use traxxas stuff. The r2d is a little noisy, but the dig works well. Needs minor work to be smooth. I use a sidewinder with a 55t, but i'll buy a revolver or a bm16.
Old 02-16-2009, 12:56 PM   #12
Pebble Pounder

I was only refering to the stock "size" of the tamiya shafts, as I've seen plenty of pics of teh twisted wreck they become! Real quality there! lOL I'd definitely go with metal shafts.

How about this: http://www.hot-racing.com/?partnumber=SCP38X01&c=456 Very similar to the R2, don't you think? I can get it up the street for $60!
Old 02-16-2009, 02:17 PM   #13
Pebble Pounder

punishers? I have twisted some hot racing ones...
Old 02-16-2009, 02:34 PM   #14
RCC Addict

If I was going by the length of the Tamiya hop-up steel driveshafts they are 95mm and 85mm. I believe those are minimum dimensions because the Junfac drive shafts are 95mm and 82mm minimum which would coincide and extended they are 130mm and 117mm maximum.
860Crawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 10:03 PM   #15
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by 860Crawler View Post
If I was going by the length of the Tamiya hop-up steel driveshafts they are 95mm and 85mm. I believe those are minimum dimensions because the Junfac drive shafts are 95mm and 82mm minimum which would coincide and extended they are 130mm and 117mm maximum.
I figure by lowering the tranny mount some extra distance could be taken up for the drive shafts if necessary, or vice versa to highten the mount and provide extra distance if necessary. I say this because I plan to make my own mount for the tranny, which on one model might be an Axial ax10, and the other possibly that Hot Racing tranny I posted the link to.

I just got the fixins to build 2 sets of cR-01 axles, and 2 ladder frames. I'm also planning to use the JunFac Lizard chassis as well, so I may end up with a whole army of cR-01 Unimogs by the time I'm done.
Old 02-17-2009, 04:50 AM   #16
Pebble Pounder

imo the traxxas shafts are the way to go. Just use the metal yokes. They are easy to be cut or made to length and solid enough to go brushless!
Old 02-17-2009, 08:50 AM   #17
Pebble Pounder

I assume you just slip the 2 sections apart and cut the length you want? I also assume their made for 5mm shafts? Where are you getting teh metal yolks?
Old 02-17-2009, 09:25 PM   #18
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by drcooper View Post
imo the traxxas shafts are the way to go. Just use the metal yokes. They are easy to be cut or made to length and solid enough to go brushless!
I have been looking for cheap, strong parts as well. I am wondering if the Traxxas shafts you are referring to are the ones for the stampede or these. The yokes you are referring to must be these. Also, I see many of the rigs on the forum have the "Pede" tranny. As far as I saw on the Stampede, they are only 2wd...Can you help me figure this out someone? Since i am not going to buy a kit and build a chassis from stratch, I need to research many options.

All of my RC experience as far as ground vehicles came from an Associated Buggy....:?

Thanks,

JB
CruiserHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 12:00 PM   #19
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruiserHead View Post
I have been looking for cheap, strong parts as well. I am wondering if the Traxxas shafts you are referring to are the ones for the stampede or these.
You want the ones for the Stampede. Part number TRA1951

Quote:
The yokes you are referring to must be these.
Yep, those are the yokes.

Quote:
Also, I see many of the rigs on the forum have the "Pede" tranny. As far as I saw on the Stampede, they are only 2wd...Can you help me figure this out someone? Since i am not going to buy a kit and build a chassis from stratch, I need to research many options.
Yes, the Stampede tranny is what some people use. Yes, it's in a 2WD truck, but if you turn it sideways, the driveshafts that would normally go directly to the wheels can go to the differentials on the axles instead. The 'Pede tranny is used because it's cheap, strong, easy to find, and uses slider style driveshafts. To be honest though, the Axial tranny has replaced the 'Pede trans. It's MUCH smaller, stronger, and cheaper, so if you're looking for a trans go with, go Axial.
metalry101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 12:51 PM   #20
Pebble Pounder

yes this is for 5mm shafts. If u put the pede tranny like a transfer case in the center of your rig, the right shaft will be the rear one and the left one the front. I had one before i put a r2d. Very smooth tranny, covered gears but no dig!