Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Tamiya Scale Rock Crawlers > Tamiya CR-01

Notices

Thread: Axial transmissions for CR-01 building????

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-15-2009, 10:31 AM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Axial transmissions for CR-01 building????

I'm building a CR-01 without actually buying one, and am looking for a tranny since there aren't any CR-01 trannies available, and when they are they cost as much as an R2! (metal is better, but expensive too)

I just saw some axial trannies for sale for $30 brand new, and was wondering if there are any opinions on them, or their use on a CR-01???

Any other inexpensive alternative would be greatly appreciated!
oxyjansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-17-2009, 06:56 PM   #2
Rock Stacker

The CR01 trannys are actually quite good considering they got the planetary gear set up design. I had my CR01 since July 08 & I never experienced any problems with it whatsoever. They turn smooth as silk & they don't wear out due to the planetary set up & they don't use a slipper like the AX10's. But since your on a budget the AX10 tranny on the other hand is actually quite good since I also have one but the only thing that's gonna wear out is the slipper. If your gonna use it on your CR01 you might wanna consider using the AX10 skid plate since there are many adjustable holes in the bottom of the CR01 chassis or you can custom make one yourself. Also get a another set of driveshafts from a Traxxas stampede since they are stronger then the Tamiya ones. ;) Where did you get you CR01 kit from since you didn't buy one? :?
dR. hOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 07:14 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

I'm piecing it together. I got some parts off Ebay for the axles and frame rails, and really don't want to blow a fortune on the CR-01 tranny, when I can get an all metal Hot Racing unit for $60. I'm going to build up 2 Cr-01's from the parts I get, and possibly at some point I'll do the Junfac chassis with the metal gearbox, and all the expensive trimmings, etc. I'm also considering just giving into teh $60 Hot racing tranny, adn not annoying myself with the cheaper Axial unit.

It it possible for you to give be an idea of the width of both trannis from output shaft end to output shaft end? And also an idea of the shaft length for shortening purposes? I was hopingto use an aftermarket set of metal shafts, but maybe the Traxxas shafts wouldn't be so bad after all???

Any idea of a 14mm wheel hub nut that will fit the CR-01 to accept some T-maxx rims? I assume all that would be needed would be a nut that fits a 5ww shaft? Any suggestions for 12mm rims that might give me a nice beefy look? I'm hoping to snag something on Ebay cheap.
Old 02-17-2009, 07:51 PM   #4
Rock Stacker

The best thing I could advise you to do is to get all the parts together bolt it up & measure the driveshafts where you need to cut when the AX10 tranny is in. I cannot give you the exact measurement from end to end but I do know that the AX10 tranny is alot narrower than the CR01's from front to back so the output shaft will be shorter than the other. Make sure to buy the traxxas driveshafts first so they will be easy to cut & not spend alot of $$ on the metal ones. Another tip I would tell you is that the axial tranny uses a grub screw in the output shaft instead of a pin like the Tamiya. I think the output shafts are alot smaller on the axial than the Tamiya. So just tinker around with it first & post some pics when your done that's all I can say. Good luck!
Old 02-17-2009, 07:56 PM   #5
Rock Stacker

Oh I forgot! & as for the Tmaxx wheels I don't think there's any 14mm hex that can fit on the dinky CR01 hubs. But I don't think it's a good idea if you put that big a diameter wheels on your crawler since it puts more strain on you drivetrain & possibly snap something! But why in the hell do you want to put bigger wheels? :?
Old 02-18-2009, 06:21 AM   #6
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by dR. hOOK View Post
Oh I forgot! & as for the Tmaxx wheels I don't think there's any 14mm hex that can fit on the dinky CR01 hubs. But I don't think it's a good idea if you put that big a diameter wheels on your crawler since it puts more strain on you drivetrain & possibly snap something! But why in the hell do you want to put bigger wheels? :?
I just wanted a little more lift, not a massive amount. I was looking at some axial tire/wheel combos on Ebay last night, and the Lizard tires should do nicely. I completely understand what your saying about too big of a diameter wheel, and I don't want to break anything for sure. Also want just a slightly more aggressive look, but nothing too ridiculous.

From all I've read the output shafts on both trannies are 5mm, so parts should be interchangeable. The one question would be is the grub screw better/worse than the pin for the drive shafts?? I'd assime that since the RC4WD trannies appear to use the grub screw that its a strong set up? Their stuff appears so heavy duty that I can't see them compromising on something like a drive shaft. Tamiya seems to like to complicate things a bit.

Freight
Old 02-18-2009, 01:20 PM   #7
Rock Stacker

The problem I find with the grub screw is that after a few uses they come loose or go missing. You gotta make sure that you apply lock tight & tighten the s"""t out of them but after a while the screw often wears out. That's why I like the pin set up Tamiya has. :?
Old 02-18-2009, 04:14 PM   #8
Pebble Pounder

Makes sense. Locktite it is! Do the aftermarket metal shafts for the CR-01 have the pin, or the screw?
Old 02-18-2009, 05:00 PM   #9
Rock Stacker

You mean the ones from the Tamiya hop ups for the CR01? Or Jun Fac? If so I'm sure that they use pins since the pinion shafts in the CR01 axles have holes in them. I don't think Tamiya ever uses grub screws in their drive shafts since they don't go cheap in that sense. ;)
Old 02-18-2009, 06:01 PM   #10
Pebble Pounder

I was thinking Junfac, or Integy, or something similar. The tamaya hop ups are pretty pricey even on Ebay, adn don't look as good as some of the aftermarket companiy's products. .
Old 02-18-2009, 06:15 PM   #11
Rock Stacker

Oh yeah I forgot that Integy makes parts for it too! But yeah they look pretty slick coming from Integy but I wonder how good quality they are since Integy aren't that great of products.
Old 02-18-2009, 07:46 PM   #12
Pebble Pounder

In all honesty the JunFac shafts look like some of the best for the price. RC4WD makes the Punisher as well, but $80 is a bit steep for an RC truck!

Whats the story with Integy?
Old 02-19-2009, 04:24 PM   #13
Rock Stacker

There's alot to say about them like poor craftsmanship, parts don't fit well, misaligned welding, copying other designs from different manufacturers, etc. etc. etc......
Old 02-20-2009, 06:11 AM   #14
Pebble Pounder

That good huh? Nice!

The tranny dilemma has ended! A guy on Ebay put up all the tranny parts yesterday, so I got them to build 2 trannies. Also got 2 sets of axle parts, frame rails, motor mounts, screws, etc. Now all I need is upgraded suspension links and metal ball ends, and a motor/esc system for each.

I'm thinking of maybe going brushless for speed in 1, and slow crawler for the other???

I also saw some aluminum planetary gears for the cR-01, but wouldn't they eat up the plastic case over time? I have not seen anyone with a metal planetary box.
Old 02-20-2009, 04:32 PM   #15
Rock Stacker

You mean the original CR01 tranny? How much did you bid for them? The metal gears shouldn't be a problem if you install & mesh them properly.
Old 02-21-2009, 02:56 AM   #16
Pebble Pounder

Yes, the CR-01 tranny. I got them for about $35 each!
Hot racing has: { http://www.hot-racing.com/?partnumber=TCR220M&c=424 }, and { http://www.hot-racing.com/?partnumber=TCR18M06&c=424 } for the CR-01 tranny, and I was wondering if there are any opinions on these parts???

I'm going to assume that the metal planetary gear holder would keep things in place alot better longer, and that the bearing housing would massively reduce wear yes??? Not sure if I'm completely comfortable about the metal gears in the plastic housing, but I think these other parts make sense. I'm hoping someone will make a metal planetary housing at some point, as combined with metal gears, and a metal main tranny housing the thing would probably be near indestructable!
Old 02-21-2009, 04:03 PM   #17
Rock Stacker

In my opinion I would wait until they make a all metal CR01 tranny but for now if your uncomfortable with metal vs. plastic then just leave it all stock for now. In my personal experience since I had my CR01 the tranny in mine never gave me any problems just make sure you mesh the pinion gear to the main gear properly & it shouldn't give you any problems.
Old 02-22-2009, 08:29 PM   #18
Pebble Pounder

Do you use any lube in the tranny?
Old 02-22-2009, 11:40 PM   #19
Rock Stacker

Yeah I use wheel bearing grease it works just fine. Just apply a thin layer around the teeth of the gears & it does the trick.
Old 02-23-2009, 06:34 AM   #20
Pebble Pounder

What about maintainance lubing of the tranny and diffs? Is there any guideline for it? I just got a tube of ceramic greese, and realized 1 tube might not cut it building 2 trucks!