Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Tamiya Scale Rock Crawlers > Tamiya CR-01

Notices

Thread: The best modifications

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-10-2009, 11:37 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default The best modifications

What would you say are the best modifications you can do to a CR-01 to get the most out of it (articulation, ground clearance) for crawling?
legion1capone is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-10-2009, 11:47 PM   #2

Tyres .. and or beadlocks .. get rid of the canti system and replace the leaky shocks .. straight axles in the rear .. battery mount lower .. stretch the WB to 12" at least
.. the bent links help .. mod your front hubs to allow more steering .. replace servo saver with solid arm and use high torque servo .. traxxas stampede drive shafts and output yokes .. play around with the upper and lower links to see what you like (still messing around with mine) .. crawler motor .. sidewinder + castle link helps too
SNPY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 11:56 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

So if I really want to get into crawling I should go with an Axial AX10? From the sounds of the modifications it would be easier to go that route. I just love the look and design of the CR-01.
To start with:
http://www.ckrccrawlers.com/shop/ind...roducts_id=298
legion1capone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 12:15 AM   #4

Depends on what you are after .. and what you want to do in the future .. i race trucks and buggies at my local track and drift there as well .. i wanted to see what crawling was all about so i got the CR to muck around with .. got it cheap .. any way im really digging crawling now so my next step would be to look into a comp crawler .. we only had the first comp in our state last sunday so there wasn't much point me spending alot on a rig if comps were not going to be held here .. also i liked the look of the CR as well and the FJ body has nice detail .. so think about what you want and take your budget into consideration and go from there
Old 03-11-2009, 12:19 AM   #5
Rock Stacker

But it all depends what your gonna use it for. If your gonna compete then go with the AX10 but if you just like the scale looks then go with the CR01. But these rigs are semi scale so they can have some AX10 performance too when you do a few mods to them like what SNPY mentioned.
dR. hOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 09:40 PM   #6

The Cr01 is more of a "scale" kinda crawler, its not made for comp, but if you mod the chassis and a bunch of stuff it can be pretty good, but like they say If you like to get a very easily to modify crawler then get an axial.

my cr01 is modded for looks mainly and performance but realistic performance like you would see in a real car.
PabloRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 11:47 AM   #7
RCC Addict

The way people make the CR-01 sound seems like it couldn't climb a pebble. It just isn't the case, but yes it does depend on what you're going to be doing with it. Up against a comp rig its going to have shortfalls being so tall, but it flexes just as good as a lot of rigs out there. I never ran my rig with any other crawlers for about 6 months and with everything I read about what people are dissatified with, I was beginning to think it wasn't worth a crap. I was like, is what I'm seeing this thing do just not at all what anything else does? Everyone saying its a goofy set up and this and that. So I started changing stuff around and soon enough I just went back to the original set up with just minor changes because that was what was working the best.

At the last crawler meet I was people were quite surprised how well my rig ran and what it could do. I only opted to run in the scale class for the next meet but some said I should give it a go in 2.2 so I may give it a try next time out. This is with cantilevers installed. Just weighted wheels/stock tires, aluminum shocks and rear links moved to the top of the plate so the chassis is essentially stock. Its still tall and top heavy is some situations, and I don't have dig so that would handicap it on some courses.
860Crawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 11:53 AM   #8
Quarry Creeper

The mods I have done on mine made it like day and night,The handling is better the shocks are better thru and thruI like what I did with my CR-01(see it in Caspers Thread).You have to remember I went from a Clod Crawler Super to my CR-01 and I would take the supers height and with any day but when it comes to how it reacts to the surface your on the CR-01 is the way to go.
Greg
LOSIASSOCIATED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 12:42 PM   #9
RCC Addict

Mine ,ive ditched the canti,got wediem springs allround exept a soft in rht rear,"pen" springs under rear shock pistons,EeePees rear upper link mod,extended wheelbase to 12",losi tires,chopping board skid.

HPI Jeep body,thats why still using leaky stock shocks, more scale lol.
27t motor ,i like a bit of wheelspeed,lowered bettery.
Theres probly more ive done and forgotten,but its my favorate crawla by far.
I was going to do a "more"scale chassis,but it handles pretty well as it is,and the cog adds more realisiam?
vipxj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 01:24 PM   #10
Rock Stacker

The mods that I saw the most improvement from were the short barrel springs and new tires/foams. I put rock claws and memory foams on and I can't believe how much better they are than the stock tires.
TrickyNickro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 09:55 AM   #11
Rock Stacker

Anything is better than stock tires.

What is this Eeepee rear link you mention?
krapulax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 10:18 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by vipxj View Post
HPI Jeep body,thats why still using leaky stock shocks, more scale lol.
AHAHAHA .. That's funny man .. so true .. then you need to set up something so it spontaneously catches on fire .. then you have yourself a true scale Jeep
Old 03-18-2009, 11:55 AM   #13
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNPY View Post
AHAHAHA .. That's funny man .. so true .. then you need to set up something so it spontaneously catches on fire .. then you have yourself a true scale Jeep
Im liking that ideaFIRE!!!!!

In true jeep scaleness , i blew up both axles in the cr01 jeep,(getting more like the real thing all the time) striped a spline in the big bevel gears ,one in each axle,so its off the road again,like my real one!!!!! lol.
Old 03-18-2009, 11:59 AM   #14
RCC Addict

wow! How did you do that?
860Crawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 12:00 PM   #15
RCC Addict

Krapolux (you must drive a toyota),EeePee mod ,you put spacers under the rear axle upper links to help with anti squat.About 5/6 mm or what suits you.
Old 03-26-2009, 09:32 PM   #16

Kmrunner's Axial Chassis Conversion

Iwantoffroad's CR-01 axial plates and droop setup
Tacorunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 03:48 AM   #17
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNPY View Post
mod your front hubs to allow more steering .
more info, pls !! I'm not into 4WS, it's not a monster truck!
CJ318 is offline   Reply With Quote