Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Tamiya Scale Rock Crawlers > Tamiya CR-01

Notices

Thread: 3racing barrel springs on CR-01

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-27-2009, 12:35 PM   #1

Default 3racing barrel springs on CR-01

Hello has somebody else fitted these on his CR-01 , it works smoother than the originals and i installed the black ones , the gold ones are a bit stiffer , i'm surely have to replace the original oil shocks because they still leaking , never had that problem so much with older tamiya shocks , would the oil shocks from 3racing do well? thanx for the help
Lou Barzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-28-2009, 02:40 AM   #2
Rock Stacker

I just fitted the the Tamiya short barrel springs. Makes it sit a lot lower and they are very soft. Yet to try them out on the rocks
lewy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 11:38 AM   #3

Lou Barzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 03:00 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

anyone had experience with these? i don't believe they are the short type like the tamiya ones.
cydog510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 01:08 PM   #5
RCC Addict

I've only seen them in pictures. I do have the Tamiya short ones though and they are great.
860Crawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 01:48 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

I have the long 3R springs, but have only done couch pillow crawling. I've got my suspension set up with black springs, stiff (chrome) sways front and rear, and I think 45wt oil in the shocks. It's pretty darn good, I think - it doesn't torque roll like it used to, and it sits down a lot further than it did with the gold springs so the C of G is a bit lower. There's lots of down travel now, so the wheel can drop into a hole rather than pulling the body down, and the softer springs and stiff sways still let it fully articulate.
ugly duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 09:46 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

i just got the 3racing long barrel springs, went on a trail run and was very happy with the black softies in front and rear, like ugly said, it does sit lower, which looks more scale. i am happy with them, especially at $6.50 incl. shipping!
Old 03-14-2010, 02:10 PM   #8

I am also running the soft blacks all the way around has anyone ever tried the harder gold ones?
30NE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 07:42 AM   #9
Pebble Pounder

First I tried the gold front / black rear, and then gold/gold.

With the gold/black, I was using soft/medium sways (F/R) and set up like that the torque roll was substantial when climbing. You'd get the nose up and the truck would just twist around the rear driveshaft, and fall over. Because I've got a 2C LiPo (even though it's a 5000 mAh) and I've moved the battery tray back 1 hole from stock for servo clearance, I thought the nose didn't need so much more spring than the tail anyway, so I switched the rear springs to gold to try and counter some torque roll.

With the gold/gold, the shocks sat almost all the way extended in my setup (could probably have adjusted those, or the turnbuckles, to get more down travel) but because it sat that much higher, it was pretty tippy. To get the articulation, I was using the same sways as with the gold/black springs (soft/medium F/R), but now with the black/black springs and hard/hard sways, I like it pretty good. A bit better C of G, not quite as tippy, still really good articulation, and the suspension sits closer to the middle of its range.
ugly duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 01:37 AM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by cydog510 View Post
i just got the 3racing long barrel springs, went on a trail run and was very happy with the black softies in front and rear, like ugly said, it does sit lower, which looks more scale. i am happy with them, especially at $6.50 incl. shipping!
cydog...where'd you get them from? Did you get them within Canada?
twisted concept is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 10:04 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ugly duck View Post
First I tried the gold front / black rear, and then gold/gold.

With the gold/black, I was using soft/medium sways (F/R) and set up like that the torque roll was substantial when climbing. You'd get the nose up and the truck would just twist around the rear driveshaft, and fall over. Because I've got a 2C LiPo (even though it's a 5000 mAh) and I've moved the battery tray back 1 hole from stock for servo clearance, I thought the nose didn't need so much more spring than the tail anyway, so I switched the rear springs to gold to try and counter some torque roll.

With the gold/gold, the shocks sat almost all the way extended in my setup (could probably have adjusted those, or the turnbuckles, to get more down travel) but because it sat that much higher, it was pretty tippy. To get the articulation, I was using the same sways as with the gold/black springs (soft/medium F/R), but now with the black/black springs and hard/hard sways, I like it pretty good. A bit better C of G, not quite as tippy, still really good articulation, and the suspension sits closer to the middle of its range.
thanks for the update I was kinda think that with the gold i might run into problems with sitting to high.
30NE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 10:19 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by twisted concept View Post
cydog...where'd you get them from? Did you get them within Canada?
dinball yo!

http://cgi.ebay.com/3Racing-Spring-S...ht_2283wt_1167

it took 9 days to arrive.