Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Tamiya Scale Rock Crawlers > Tamiya CR-01

Notices

Thread: need to know what you guys think

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-17-2009, 06:16 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Exclamation need to know what you guys think

Well i took my truck out for the frist time to day. Im running a nova goat setup in it which I have run in another truck befor . I think the stock pinion is just a little to big for my goat . My run times are not what i was used to with the goat and i could stall the motor if i get in a binde . I have never seen this happen with the goat befor. The goat is a beast but if you stall it the esc kinda shuts off for like 2 sec then starts back up and is good to go . Is this normal for a goat ?? . Now i know i could look this up and i probly will but just thought i would put the question out there . My other big problem is knowing what pitch the pinion on a cr01 is???? I have searched this so for you guys that are about to get all huffy if you feel i need to search it well how about you try and then point me in the right deriction . Now for my thoughts on the CR-01 over all I love it . The Cr-01 is great i already have short barrel springs on it and junfac steal shafts on it . Im unning a duratrax 4200 stick pack in it so i should have better run times but that will be fixed soon. I have not run the stock tires or rims yet cause 80 screws for the bead locks just was not my idea of fun so i run my axial lizards on axial bead locks . The front have star cut foams with 5oz of weight in each . The rear are just stock lizards no weights. Now the fronts with 5oz and star cut foam had tomuch flex and my ground clearance was to low so next run ill be running proline chisles with 8 oz in each front and ill have 3 in each rear. but i will have to make some custom foam ill cut the stock g8 foam so i can add extra foam behinde the memory and hope this will stiffen it up enuf to stop all the tire flex .
freelife04239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-17-2009, 07:22 PM   #2
Rock Stacker

no feed back or ideas from you guys
Old 05-17-2009, 08:03 PM   #3
Rock Stacker

I think maybe something is wrong with your goat. I am running rock stompers which are taller with the goat setup i twisted my front inner axle and destroyed my drive cups and have not stalled my motor with a stock pinion. As far as runtimes i am running a 5000 2s lipo, my runtime is about 90 min.
CConROCKS! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 08:15 PM   #4
Rock Stacker

hmmmm thats good to know I might have my lipo cut off set to on. I was told that this can cause the problem to because my battery was alittle low on power. I realized I grabbed the wrong battery.

Hay what are you running for weight on your truck and what about foams. my truck crawled good but I know it can be much better with some tuning. I know my tires are a big problem right now but do you have any ideas on a way to make it better? Im new to the CR-01 but also very impressed with how its crawling and I realy have very few upgrades
Old 05-17-2009, 08:53 PM   #5
Rock Stacker

17 views and only one of you can come up with a reply come on guys im looking for feed back
Old 05-17-2009, 09:27 PM   #6
Rock Stacker

I am running star cut foams that came with the tires alluminum rc4wd beadlocks with 4oz in the front none on the rears. Barrel springs, strc rear straight axle, spacer on the rear links. 30wt front and rear. I use mine for scale and crawling it does not crawl like my axial but i have alot more fun with it. The rock stompers i have on it are not a great crawling tire but i love the looks of them. I also put tamiya's hardened front inner axles and locker in it.
CConROCKS! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 09:42 PM   #7
Rock Stacker

The big problem I was seeing is my tires looked flat at times in the front . If one fell in a hole it would wrinkle up so bad trying to crawle out it would bind up . Im thinking if I had stiff foams in a softer compound tire and 8 0z of weight that my traction would be better . I also think I would not get bound up as bad. The CR-01 seems to have better vertical climing that a stock ax10 no torq twist making front tire lift well lots less than the ax10. My approach is not as good as an ax10 and my clearance was nowhere near as good but over all control i think was bette than an ax10. Then again this could be all in my head because i like this truck somuch better than a ax10.
Old 05-18-2009, 10:57 AM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by freelife04239 View Post
My other big problem is knowing what pitch the pinion on a cr01 is????
Yes sir, this was already discussed. The pinion is a 48 pitch METRIC.
http://www.robinsonracing.com/catalo...tchpinion.html
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXEX43&P=7
mtnhrdgr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 12:43 PM   #9
Rock Stacker

not to be a pain in the butt but i have had a few people tell me its not 48p
Old 05-18-2009, 01:43 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

i thank its a 32p metric as for the goat never had one i run to much water and mud
flmudder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 02:13 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Not a pain in the butt. You are just trying to get the correct info nothing wrong with that. It looks like you are getting conflicting info. Hopefully what I write below confirms it for ya.

They are 48P METRIC (do not get standard!!).

A couple of links in this CR01 thread that discuss this is below:
Gearing

gears went bad

Noisier with smaller pinion gears?

Additional proof:
Look in the CR01 instruction manual on page 28 (the parts list). The 3rd column a little before half way down the column, you will see part# 50356 for the pinion.

Now go to towerhobbies.com and type in that part number in the search field. you will get to this link
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...FVSEARCH=50356

Hope this helps
Old 05-18-2009, 05:44 PM   #12
Rock Stacker

wow you make a good point i cant say your wrong thats fore sure but i know this is confusing. I was told this " You must use a metric pitch pinion from either Tamiya or Robinson Racing. The stock pinion is a 20t. Tamiya AV pinion gear sets- 16t, 17t #50355 / 18t, 19t #50356 . Tamiya USA can answer your gear question. Call them and politely ask and they are more than happy to help.
Tamiya America (949) 362-2240

i called them and they said The pinion is a 0.6 module

but hay i already made my order right from tamiya. Thanks for the help guys good to know you guys will help out some one in need of info
Old 05-18-2009, 08:12 PM   #13
Rock Stacker

This is a lame vid but it shows how well this CR-01 dose http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OcvfETsu7TY
Old 05-18-2009, 09:08 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by freelife04239 View Post
i called them and they said The pinion is a 0.6 module

it's the same thing...
http://www.robinsonracing.com/catalo...tchpinion.html
if you see the 2nd set of pinions on the link i first posted. That section is called "Metric .6 Module Steel Alloy Pinions" once you are in this section, you will see the different teeth choices: 12, 13, 14,etc... All of these are metric .6 module 48pitch. All of these can be ordered from towerhobbies.
Old 05-18-2009, 11:25 PM   #15
Rock Stacker

I orderd the pinions already thanks guys for the help and has any one seen my vid yet