Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Tamiya Scale Rock Crawlers > Tamiya CR-01

Notices

Thread: Axle gears sticking..... quick fix

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-22-2009, 03:56 PM   #1

Default Axle gears sticking..... quick fix

I bought my CR-01 used from a guy who never drove it, but built it from the kit then wanted to sell it. Long story short is that I have had to go back and fix alot of little issues. My one main issue was that the ring and pinion seemed to bind up with lock pin installed.

I took apart both axles this weeked and found that when you tighten the lock pin in fully that it pushes on the longer axle and actually throws it off center which then causes the ring to bind on the pinion in a certain position. Mine bound up when the allen screw head side was near the pinion. The ring seemed to come closer to the pinion at that point and farther 180 out from that position.

I took some serious time in reinstalling the gears and axles and came up with a great set-up that seems stress free so far. I added and extra shim/metal washer on the outside of the pinion shaft where the C-clip is. That pulled the pinion just a tad tighter to the bearings and away from the ring a bit. Also removed play in and out on the pinion. Then I did not tighten the locker scrwe all the way. Instead I made it go an even distance in back to front of the carrier. That removed the pressure on the axle and let it sit straight in the housing at all times. I did have to drill out the hole for that locker screw/pin on one axle to an oval shape to allow the pin to just drop straight through with out pulling on that axle. That was the worst of the two axle/diffs for binding and what started this little mission to find the binding. I just took a smaller sized bit as compared to the hole and reamed the hole att the spline side to allow for the pin to fit in smoothly.

All in all the axles are smooth as silk now and still provide full operation. when you do this if you need to too.... just make sure the pinion and ring sit together nicely with full contact. Not too close to bind or chatter, and not too far that it will slip under load.

Hope this helps anyone who is experiencing this issue too.
xjjeepcjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-24-2009, 06:44 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

i had the same problem on my highlift axles, all thats needed is to back the pin out slightly and have thread locker on it.
benoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 09:22 PM   #3

Oh I know i went overboard. Just loosening it and thread locking it would have sufficed, but the gears still didn't mesh well to my taste. I think i got alittle anal, and treated it like a real set of gears in a 1 to 1 rig But they are sooooo smooth now! ;)
Old 07-10-2009, 09:53 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

hey, the smoother they run the longer they will last!
2500hdon37s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 06:31 AM   #5
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by xjjeepcjs View Post
Oh I know i went overboard. Just loosening it and thread locking it would have sufficed, but the gears still didn't mesh well to my taste. I think i got alittle anal, and treated it like a real set of gears in a 1 to 1 rig But they are sooooo smooth now! ;)
I had the same issue and called Tamiya about it. They said that was normal for these gears in the CR01 axle and that they have to be broken in. And, they were right, I ran mine a few times and the axles smoothed right out as they shoud be. I considered shimming, but then after talking to Tamiya I was thinking that shimming would loosen them up, but then when they broke in the mess would be too loose, so I did what Tamiya said.
HDMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 05:04 PM   #6

I hear what your saying, but there is no such thing as too loose. There is proper mesh and improper. I don't think everyone's rig or parts does this, just some. I ran mine many many times before I did this and they never smoothed out. I checked driveshaft angles, and everything before I did this. Then when I took it apart it was clear as i rotated the pinion by hand. It stuck in spots. I think it is just the difference of part manufacturing that comes into play. I only posted this to help people that where having my same issue that wouldn't go away. I found some great thin, very thin, washers at ACE hardware for this. Now if they start to skip/slip. Then I know the shim is too much, but it is just one more washer than what we all put there from the kit.