Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Tamiya Scale Rock Crawlers > Tamiya CR-01

Notices

Thread: CR-01 needs a diet

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-26-2009, 11:44 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default CR-01 needs a diet

Hi All,
I'll first disclaim that I understand that the cr-01 is a scaler and not ever going to compete with a berg but that doesn't stop me from trying so here goes. My buddy loaned me his cr-01 so I could improve its performance as a crawler. I'm doing this b/c I have a berg and we crawl together and the cr-01 just is disappointing and I think a little discouraging to my friend.

With that said I have managed to improve its ability by shedding some of the weight my friend added. When I got the truck it weighed just over 9lbs. I have managed to get it down to 7.25lbs (running 2s 1800mah lipo). In addition to reducing the weight and modifying the suspension I've managed to increase its climbing angle from 50 degrees to 56 degrees. Again this has made huge improvements.

I feel if I could reduce its weight some more I can get some more performance out of it.

So my question is this, who has a light truck and what did you do to get it there?

In addition, has anyone been able to get this thing to climb near 60 degrees or more? I'm not interested in swapping out chassis or anything too major. Since I'm new to the cr-01 I just wanted to know from the veterans if there are any other major mods I can do to help this thing out. Thanks for your help.
mulepic is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-26-2009, 12:02 PM   #2
Rock Stacker

More details about the current setup would help us to provide better feedback on how to improve the climbing ability of your friends CR-01.

Pics of the current setup (Body off) from several angles would probably work. If he is still running the stock cantilever setup then the easiest improvement would be the zip-tie trick to remove the slop. EePee's CR-01 thread has a lot of great tips and you can follow the evolution of his rig, which has a very stock setup, yet is a capable climber.

Next I would look at upgrading the stock tires.

You can see the setup of my rig in this thread (body off shots are at the end of the thread): Testing new suspension setup - warning - lots of pictures!

Last edited by FreshMeat; 06-26-2009 at 12:12 PM. Reason: Added link
FreshMeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 12:17 PM   #3
Rock Stacker

Moving the battery off of the rails onto the front axle will help with climbing and stability greatly.
FreshMeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 01:15 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

I do still have the battery in the stock location, but the lipo is significantly lighter than the nicad that was there. I'll have to look into moving the battery to the axle. What amazes me is that this thing is over a pound heavier than my berg. It just seems way too heavy for what it is.
mulepic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 11:37 PM   #5
Rock Stacker

Default LOWER Your COG

1st - Change your suspension from cantiliver to Losi 4" shocks. Then droop the suspension.

Freshmeat has a good suggestion to place battery lower towards the front axles.

2. change stock tires to comp 2.2 tires ie. Losi Rock Claws or Proline Hammers or whatever you like.

Weights for each tire:

Each front tire and rim should add up to 11-11.5 oz (1lb each)
Each rear tire and rim should add up to 4 -5 oz (.5lb or less each)

Thats it for now. Good Luck...

Here my rig climbing 65+ angle...

http://s533.photobucket.com/albums/e...yaK5Blazer.flv

Last edited by Vtown Crawl; 06-26-2009 at 11:43 PM.
Vtown Crawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 08:47 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

i dont have a cr-01 but id suggest losi rock claws the are by far some of the best all around crawling tires ive ever owned. and keeping a rig as light as possible and the cg down low helps a ton
2500hdon37s is offline   Reply With Quote