Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Tamiya Scale Rock Crawlers > Tamiya CR-01

Notices

Thread: Defender - HPI or HK import?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-17-2009, 01:40 AM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Defender - HPI or HK import?

Hi

What would you recommend as a good 'noob' defender body? I've seen the hardbody on ebay from Hong Kong (don't know if its from a toy or a proper RC kit) which says it'll fit a CR-01, and obviously the HPI one, which looks a little more basic to start off with, but I've seen some amazing results on here using it. and there is also that newbright one that people talk about, but I'm in the UK so I don't know if I can get hold of one of those.

I've never done any scratch building, so would be looking for as much 3rd party 'direct fit' stuff as possible. Do both bodies fit directly to the CR01? How about accessories - things like the proline roofrack etc - do they fit to both equally well?

Last edited by mrklaw; 07-17-2009 at 04:52 AM.
mrklaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-17-2009, 05:05 AM   #2
RCC Addict

It depends on how much detail you are looking for? The hard bocy shells always will give you the best and highest detailed results.
HDMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 12:14 PM   #3
Rock Stacker

I personally like the HK hardbody LR also for a really scale look, BUT the hard bodies are expensive and hard to find, plus the hardbody doesn't quite fit a CR-01 2.2 set-up.

The HPI body are wider and lighter in weight for use with the CR-01 chassis. If you want the scaler look, you do have to modify the body quite a bit. Details are KEY to any scaler look.

Below are couple of examples:

Here my set-up

LR Defender at Flat Rock, Ca

Here is another with HPI body with Many DETAILS "True Scaler" (Frabrication by Bein Custom Works in Fairfield Ca) NOTE: the front seats and 3racing winch are not installed yet. 1.9 rims and tires are not installed yet.

Last edited by Vtown Crawl; 07-17-2009 at 12:32 PM.
Vtown Crawl is offline   Reply With Quote