Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Tamiya Scale Rock Crawlers > Tamiya CR-01

Notices

Thread: landcruiser - mounting winch and spare wheel

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-22-2009, 02:56 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default landcruiser - mounting winch and spare wheel

Hi

The 3 racing winch isn't a direct fit to the land cruiser, so what methods have you used to get it hooked up? I'm also going to have to run it manually so is it easy to relocate the button somewhere on the body?

Also, I want to put a spare tire on the back - whats the best way to attach that? It'll be a standard cr01 wheel and tire.

Lastly, I will have some lights running through a tamiya TLU-01. This has a power switch on it, which I'd want to relocate somewhere I can reach on the outside. I'm thinking I can tap into the battery lead and put a switch in there, and leave the unit's switch in the 'on' position all the time?

Last edited by mrklaw; 07-22-2009 at 05:18 PM.
mrklaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-24-2009, 03:06 AM   #2

Hello,

I got the same problem then you.
I think the spare wheel is too heavy to attach to the body.
I'd build something myself to support the winch and the spare wheel.

That's what it looks like now.

Last edited by mpcrawler; 12-21-2010 at 09:30 AM. Reason: reorganization of picture source
mpcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 01:39 PM   #3
RCC Addict

I mounted my TLU-01 on the underside of the roof of the body. I leave it in the ON position all the time since its inline with the battery. Just unplugging the battery turns off the lights. The little male/female battery connector they provide allows you to disconnect from the battery side or from the ESC side. I ended up making the same piece but with Deans connectors since everything else I run has them.
Plus, having all the lighting & associated wiring attached to the body means I can separate the body from the chassis without having it tethered with wires.
860Crawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 01:08 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

any other thoughts on mounting a spare wheel/tire? I've seen plenty of CR01 pics with them on, just need some suggestions on how
Old 08-05-2009, 10:55 AM   #5

Hey,

On Junfac
http://www.junfac.com/shop/index.php...2bb27549f77e36
you will find a "Pajero spare wheel holder". I think this one is not too difficult to make yourself.
Old 08-07-2009, 03:14 AM   #6
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpcrawler View Post
Hello,

I got the same problem then you.
I think the spare wheel is too heavy to attach to the body.
I'd build something myself to support the winch and the spare wheel.

That's what it looks like now.

Thanks. do you have a part number for the rear bumper? and is the whole of the rearmount except the bumper custom made by you? would you mind sharing some more info eg is it aluminium sheeting, how thick, what tools needed to cut/bend? (not something I've ever done but I can learn...)

edit: Just ordered that junfac pajero wheel mount. But mounting it direct to lexan probably won't be strong enough - do you think having eg a small rectangle of styrene/aluminium behind to spread the load would be enough? eg 3cm x 3cm, something like that?

I'll also look for some aluminium sheet to play with for both the winch mount, and as a 'plan B' for the wheel.

Last edited by mrklaw; 08-07-2009 at 05:11 AM.
Old 08-15-2009, 03:18 AM   #7

Hey MRKLAW,
Here some Ideas how I did build my winch and spare wheel support.
Everything did not fit the first time. I had to redo several parts a few times, till I got this result.
Tools :
Parallel vice,hammer, saw, files and a slide gauge

1) winch mount
a) 2mm alu L profile 20mm X 40mm (20 mm side bend and mounted on CR01 chassis, 92mm inner wide, drilled 2 holes each side), 40mm side going under LC Body.
b) 2mm alu L profile 20mm X 40mm (40 mm side pass under body)
c) 20mm side to fix 20mm X 20mm X 60mm square to mount the winch.
Both L-profiles and square screwed together.

2) spare wheel mount
a) 2mm alu L profile 20mm X 40mm (20 mm side bend and mounted on CR01 chassis, 92mm inner wide, drilled 2 holes each side), 40mm side going under LC Body.
b) 2mm alu L profile 20mm X 40mm (40 mm side pass under body).
c) 20mm side to fix one 2mm X15mm X 85mm long strip and one angled strip (depending on the angle, it should be longer then the straight one)
You can make a second straight strip instead of the angled one, is much easier to build
d) I did mount a 20mm X 20mm X 40mm square on top, should get into the mounting side of a wheel (Hex attach).
e) here I fixed a hex 12mm wheel adapter to attach the spare wheel)
Both L-profiles, strips and square screwed together.

All is painted with a metal spray.
The bumper is a cabinet door handle I found in a Do It Yourself Market.

Here an other idea for a mount.
Have a look on CR-01 Yota LC40 by carlos46 from CZE at the 6th picture.
He used a 15 or 20mm bended alu strip fixed in the middle of the rear cross member to mount the spare wheel.

I hope with this Info and the pictures you will be able to manage the mounts.
Good luck !

Last edited by mpcrawler; 12-21-2010 at 09:33 AM. Reason: reorgenization of picture source
Old 08-16-2009, 02:33 AM   #8
Pebble Pounder

thats fantastic, thanks. Hopefully it'll help others too.

I've made a VERY basic winch mount out of 1.5mm alu, just an L shape which just about mounts onto the front chassis mount (replacing the tow point). But its very messy and not ideal. So now its fitted I can spend a little more time learning how to do it properly from your post.

I found mounting the winch really difficult - the plate they give you makes access to the screws almost impossible (made it in the end though). How did you get around that? Do you need a tiny spanner to hold the nut and then screw from beneath?
Old 08-16-2009, 04:01 AM   #9

First I attached the winch to the plate. To mount the winch and the plate onto my selfmade construction, I drilled 3.2mm holes (outer holes) into the plate instead of the original 2mm (it was almost impossible to use the original 2mm screws).
I use 3mm screws with the nuts on the winch side to attach the winch and the plate to the mount.

Have fun !

Last edited by mpcrawler; 12-21-2010 at 09:31 AM. Reason: reorganization of picture source
Old 08-20-2009, 03:31 PM   #10

Brilliant!! I shame to not have the same skills as mpcrawler otherwise I will prefer to do everything myself as well.

I have buy recently a plate to mount my winch but to be honest I don't have any idea how to install into my CR01, anyone knows?

http://www.3racing.hk/products.php?products_key=3795

Last thing, somebody know a spare tire and snorkel ready to our CR01 ?

Thanks a lot! Regards
c.r.i.s.t.i.a.n.o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 04:19 PM   #11
Pebble Pounder

I have four spare standard tyres after buying some flat irons. I also bought a pair of rims off ebay.

I haven't mounted the tyre yet, can't work out if its too big or not. I have one spare rim in the roofrack for now.

edit: I don't know where they expect you to mount that on a CR01. For a front winch, you want it out near the front bumper, and there aren't any mount points there at all.

Just get some thin aluminium strip, bend it into an L shape and screw it to the front cross beam where the little plastic loop is (remove that). It can't be that difficult if I can do it. (of course I'd love to try mpcrawlers way too, but maybe later)

edit: finally got around to taking a pic of my mount

Last edited by mrklaw; 08-29-2009 at 03:11 PM.