Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Tamiya Scale Rock Crawlers > Tamiya CR-01

Notices

Thread: ESC for CR01 and..REVO???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-24-2009, 10:15 AM   #1

Default ESC for CR01 and..REVO???

So, I have been in RC for 5 years with a nitro revo.

I just purchased a CR01, and I'm really excited to do some scale build and climbing.

I would like to get an ESC that can handle lipos for when I convert my revo to brushless, and so I can use it in my stampede. But it also has to be really good for my CR01 crawler as well. I could purchase a brushless system, and just use the stock CR01 motor for bit, but I am really looking to kill 2 birds with one stone if possible. Is the Sidewinder combo way to much power in the motor? Could I just put an integy Lathe or stock w/ the sidewinder ESC and be OK?

Is there a different ESC that would be great for both applications, Revo AND CR01 crawling?
Apie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-24-2009, 10:22 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

id recomend a mamba max just for the fact that they can handle lots of voltage and verry tuneable with the castle link, im not sure the sidewinder could handle the task of powering a brushless revo
2500hdon37s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 11:43 AM   #3

Would that be total over kill for the stock motor?

How would the mamba max brushless Motor do in the CR01?
Apie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 11:59 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apie View Post
Would that be total over kill for the stock motor?

How would the mamba max brushless Motor do in the CR01?
it would be a tad over kill for the stock motor but with the brushless itd be fast im not sure how it would be for tourqe even if geared low id say itd probaly be ok but fast for true crawling
2500hdon37s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 12:32 AM   #5
Rock Stacker

Using just the silvercan motor is enough to destroy the CR01 in stock form. It can twist the driveshafts quite easily for instance. Climbing power is enough for the stock tires too, so before you upgrade the motor you will need better tires to make any use of that power.

A lathe motor (I am running 85 turn) is good but again overkill.

Trust me, you're fine with the stock silvercan.

A good speedo is nice to have and I would look at those with drag brakes. Novak rooster crawler is what I run and it's great. Not sure if it has lipo cutoff, but then again I have never depleted a battery to that point even though I have played with the rig for 1/2 hour sessions and my lipos are 3800mAh.

Going brushless would of course require a B/L speedy too. Brushed speedos like the rooster I just mentioned are about 80$.

I just checked ebay and EZrun brushless systems (motor and esc) are about 100$ so if anyone has experience with those perhaps they can let us know. It looks like for an extra 20$ you could have your brushless so not a bad situation. I guess it would be interesting to get some feedback from people who use the EZrun (though for me it's more academic than practical since I don't see myself needing to change anything int he forseeable future).

Last edited by krapulax; 07-25-2009 at 12:06 PM.
krapulax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 12:21 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

sidewinder is a good brushless esc (the hpi firestorm flux uses it), and I read of people using that in crawlers. but its probably limited to 1/10th cars - you'd want something beefier for a nitro revo conversion. Mamba max would be perfect

not sure that and a crawler go together though
mrklaw is offline   Reply With Quote