Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Tamiya Scale Rock Crawlers > Tamiya CR-01

Notices

Thread: CR01 driveshaft combatibility

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-30-2009, 10:36 PM   #1
RCC Addict

Default CR01 driveshaft combatibility

Hi just a quick question

Anyone know if the spline on this http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXPMG7&P=V (ie highlift short side) is the same as the cr01 short side. I know it is about 6mm shorter but does it fit in the cr01 diff? I want to narrow my cr01 axles and I need 2 short sides, but I can't find anywhere that sells just short sides.

Or are tlt short sides the same but just have the pin on them? Or what is the length? If they are the same just with a pin that would be good

Thanks
Kieren
Aussie Nerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-31-2009, 03:33 AM   #2
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie Nerd View Post
Hi just a quick question

Anyone know if the spline on this http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXPMG7&P=V (ie highlift short side) is the same as the cr01 short side. I know it is about 6mm shorter but does it fit in the cr01 diff? I want to narrow my cr01 axles and I need 2 short sides, but I can't find anywhere that sells just short sides.

Or are tlt short sides the same but just have the pin on them? Or what is the length? If they are the same just with a pin that would be good

Thanks
Kieren
They should fit. The manual pictures show the big bevelled gear they fit into in both cars to be the same (albeit the part number is different).

Last edited by krapulax; 07-31-2009 at 03:42 AM.
krapulax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 05:07 AM   #3
RCC Addict

Thats what I thought! Thanks

Kieren
Old 07-31-2009, 10:58 AM   #4
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Thats what I thought! Thanks

Kieren
Don't take it for gospel. You will be risking the money, but I think it's a small risk. How do you shorten the axle casing though? And why do you want a narrower axle, anyway? Te rig tilts easily as it is and rolls over because of the high CG.
Old 07-31-2009, 09:32 PM   #5
RCC Addict

My cr01 consist of a pile about 3m high of the unused plastic bits off the truck and then a pile of 4 items, the chassis, the axles and the tranny to go into a 1.9 scaler I need to narrow the axles as once the rims are mounted to inside of the tires just fits agianst the front flairs on the land cruiser body. It looks totally stupid, thats why I want to narrow. If it works I will show how to do it, but it should be cut, look, glue and sand. Then drill a hole in the shaft. I am putting $8 on the line

Kieren
Old 08-01-2009, 11:34 PM   #6
Rock Stacker

8$ plus the price of the axle casing. I am not sure you can glue ABS to any degree of reliability. It's such a nice plastic for everything else but glueing. If rubbing annoys you, just put the body higher up. I have made some bodyposts that give me an extra 4cm of height above the top of the original mounts. Still rubs occasionally but then again, I have extra axle uptravel too.

And I doubt you will be able to drill the shaft either. It is hardened steel so HSS bits won't cut it.
Old 08-02-2009, 02:01 AM   #7
RCC Addict

Sorry if my post did not make sense. I want to lower my body to look more scale, but also I would like my tyres to be inside the wheel wells not completely outside them. As for gluing I have this loctite 2 part epoxy which I reckon you could stick to ice Just remember this is for a scaler not the stock cr01!! Might have to put my order in to tower. The body might end up as a truggy ute yet but I am still unsure. I should be able to drill it as i will only have the stock axles not the hardened upgrade ones.

Kieren

p.s. If you have no idea what a 'ute' is it is a 'pickup truck' Sorry for speaking Australian

Last edited by Aussie Nerd; 08-02-2009 at 02:05 AM.
Old 08-02-2009, 08:58 AM   #8
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by team3six View Post
When I owned my CR-01 I just purchased the Junfac shafts. they work awsome and the price is right. And I found that cutting away the body is better in the long run, No worry about rubbing and you get the better travel you may need.
He's not after the propeller shafts (i.e. gearbox to axle) but after the halfshafts (i.e. diff to wheel).

Quote:
p.s. If you have no idea what a 'ute' is it is a 'pickup truck' Sorry for speaking Australian
Hey, ute is fine for me, mate.

But my advice to you is you do a dry run first with your loctite dealie-thingy. Just in case it doesn't work it is not worth sacrificing an axle casing. Try doing the thing on an unused part of a sprue. Try a little blob of loctite "alloy" which doesn't surround the sprue but it only sticks to one side and see if that holds.

On the idea of narrowing the axle width I think you will find those wheels will rub everywhere once inside the shell. that is unless you go to some ridiculously narrow axle width.

Just another idea to maul over is to use CC01 rear axle (for the rear, because it doesn't allow for steering). Compared to the Lancruiser shell, the CC01 wheels (which are smaller than those on the CR01) just about fit under the Landcruiser. They stick out less than 5mm per side. Up to you how to re-engineer the links.
Old 08-02-2009, 04:39 PM   #9
RCC Addict

Yes team3six, I am going to ruin a perfectly good pair of cr01 axles as they are not super weak and hard to find If it so severely upset you can feel free to send a set of narrower axles my way I think some rc4wd bullies would be the perfect width It would be a good idea to see if a can stick some of the spare stuff I have together just to see

Kieren
Old 08-02-2009, 06:54 PM   #10
RCC Addict

I am sorry if I offended you and I value your opinion, but I want to use what I have on hand as it is easier for me I agree with you they are a nice axle, but are a bit wide. The only use for them at there current width would be perhaps a 2.2 scaler, so to use them effectivly you have to narrow them. It is also easier to get parts for them as they are not discontinued like the tlt and the highlift axles yu have to buy all the parts seperatly which can work out quite expensive. The only other option would be a rc4wd D35 or D40 which at 120 each is a bit out of my price range

Kieren
Old 08-02-2009, 07:27 PM   #11
RCC Addict

That is a really nice rig I agree about the ax10 axles, but I can't talk as I am thinking of building another axial based rig. The only problem with the cr01 axles is the lack of steering angle, and being a bit wide. with my hand crafted fab work, I have come up with a 'truss' allowing the axles to have just as much clearance as the ax10 axles (almost). Doing what I am doing with narrowing them you fix one issue. Even if they end up to narrow it is easier to widen then to narrow with rim offsets. The steering not sure how you could fix that, but it has enough for a scaler

Kieren